Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 9,542 times

Advertisements

We are aware of the living expenses out in Hawaii, and if we do end up out there we will be fine. I would not move somewhere without knowing somewhat what I was getting myself into.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:10 PM

22 posts, read 230,682 times
Bummer everyone is bailing out of Michigan. I guess it's subject to opinion, but moving far distances from the things you know can be more difficult than people expect. If you have a lot of experience going from place to place than I guess it wouldn't matter. Michigan isn't so bad, we like to pride ourselfs on being northern troopers that can handle the snow and cold. No matter where you go your going to get stuck with lot's of B.S. I've been all over including Europe and Michigans great if your not an auto worker. You won't love the bugs down south, or that sun out west that gives you instant melanoma, or that hurricane at the gulf of Mexico that just picked up your new hummer and dropped it 20 miles down the road. Oh well, good luck and don't forget about our Great Lakes...They are truely one of the best attractions among all the states.

Last edited by Blue water lake; 11-22-2008 at 09:31 PM..

Old 11-23-2008, 08:37 AM

35 posts, read 150,943 times
I moved out of Michigan, but not to bail out. I found out I had gotten skin cancer, working at General Motors Technical Center in Warren, Michigan. It is difficult to move far from things you know. I've been most all over in the United States and find Michigan to be the ideal state. It has problems now with the Auto Industry, but all states are suffering.
The four seasons in SW lower Michigan are beautiful. THe wild flowers in the spring, seeing the orchards in bloom, the many inland lakes & the beautiful sandy beaches, in the summer for all type activities. Fishing, pleasure boating, water skiing, kids enjoyment, just basking in the sun. The fall colors are simply georgous. The festivals & all the parade's and the vegetable & fruit harvests. Cider Mills in the area in Coloma. Winters arn't too bad in Berrien County. It's great if u enjoy ice fishing or snow mobiling. At Christmas time it's simply fabulous. The large pine trees with snow on the branches. The decorations on the trees are a delight to look at.
A fire in your fireplace as you sit by your picture window looking out at the beauty of nature. Christmas decorations on your mantel. Nothing more beautiful and relaxing.
There is no other area quite as beautiful as Southwest Michigan.
I wouldn't want to live any place else.
But the real estate taxes are too high.
They need to be lowered to be inline with all the unemployment. Assessments need to be lowered.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:07 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
I live in Rockport Texas a small ocean town 25 miles north of Corpus Christi. I look to Michigan for a really cheap summer place as hot summers in Texas are no fun. At least Rockport has an ocean breeze. Quite a few people from Michigan here- many come for winters - quite a few stay.

I cant see why someone fleeing Michigan would move to Missouri - if they want less crime,taxes and traffic they might as well keep driving.

This doesn't speak for the large Texas cities. Dallas, Houston and San Anton all have traffic and crime, just not in Detroit's league. There are so many nice smaller towns though.

I suspect many in Michigan don't even know they will be moving. The articles last week say MI will lose 109,000 jobs - many who have something saved up will leave.

As Detroit keeps losing people, and it will -there will be no stopping, housing prices will get cheaper - traffic will diminish. Unfortunately this will take time and the taxes do suck.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:40 PM

45 posts, read 95,844 times
Michigan will rebound...someday. But unfortunately most cannot afford to wait out the economy. We have been in a single state recession for almost 7 years! The mentality will change, but it is going to take years. Our current administration is living in a dream land which only exasperates things. Residents have seen there taxes stay the same or increase, while their home values plunge. I couldn't sell my house for what I bought it for 10 years ago, although taxes have increased. We are past the breaking point.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:13 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I like living in Missouri pretty well, but obviously no place is completely immune from the economic downturn. Some rural parts of Missouri it's hard to get a job.

It's been fairly cold so far (I think the low so far this year has been around 22), and we've had a couple flurries, though nothing stuck. We rarely get more than 3-4 inches at a time. But this winter, according to Farmer's Almanac, is supposed to be colder and wetter.

I don't know if Missouri is as beautiful as Michigan, but Missouri is beautiful in its own right.

Some photos (not mine) http://www.mo.gov/mo/featuredphotos.htm (broken link)
http://www.mo.gov/mo/morural.htm (broken link)

2 Photos (Mine)
Here's the Minor-League Ballpark in Springfield.

From a Civil War battlefield park near Springfield

It's a lot better in person.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 11-26-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 11-28-2008, 07:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I like living in Missouri pretty well, but obviously no place is completely immune from the economic downturn. Some rural parts of Missouri it's hard to get a job.

It's been fairly cold so far (I think the low so far this year has been around 22), and we've had a couple flurries, though nothing stuck. We rarely get more than 3-4 inches at a time. But this winter, according to Farmer's Almanac, is supposed to be colder and wetter.

I don't know if Missouri is as beautiful as Michigan, but Missouri is beautiful in its own right.

Some photos (not mine) Missouri State Government Home Page (http://www.mo.gov/mo/featuredphotos.htm - broken link)
Missouri State Government Home Page (http://www.mo.gov/mo/morural.htm - broken link)

2 Photos (Mine)
Here's the Minor-League Ballpark in Springfield.

From a Civil War battlefield park near Springfield

It's a lot better in person.
You should show the Ozarks, they are truly beautiful.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Missouri State Government Home Page (http://www.mo.gov/mo/morural9.htm - broken link)

Old 11-28-2008, 08:22 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
No, I have no plans to move out of Michigan. I'm graduating from college in the summer, and hopefully I can find a job - any job - in Michigan.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 PM

87 posts, read 232,029 times
I was born and raised in Michigan and I've been living in New Mexico now for almost 24 years and I have been trying to get back ever since. I don't know if that day will ever come, but I try to keep an open mind on future job prospects.
Every time I come back to visit, I get this overwhelming urge to stay, but I know I have to come back here because this is where my job is - not that I like it, but it does pay the bills.
Here's to hoping Michigan can finally deversify it's economy and quit relying only on the auto industry for it's well-being!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan