Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota94 View Post
I don't blame you for wanting to move back.

We were transferred to Scottsdale, AZ 1 1/2 years ago, and returned to MI this past July.

*People in AZ are very unfriendly! It's all about them, what they drive, own, looks, NO Midwest Values.

**Dry heat??? Please, 100-110 degrees in the summer is unbearable! Don't let anyone fool you.

**Housing is still expensive and you surely don't get much for the money.

**Believe me, not seeing grass, rainy/cloudy days is hard. People may think they want to see the sun everyday, but you'd be surprised.

**Illegal immigration is terrible.

**I've read in the major newspaper there, is when you move to Phoenix, you must be able to fit in. It's becoming California.

**I wouldn't want to raise a family there, and I'm glad I didn't have too. So happy to be back in MI!!!!
Whats even more a joke is what they call monsoons. I've honestly had trips to the bathroom that last longer.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 9,314 times
Thumbs up Want To Move

My husband, myself, and two children recently moved out of Michigan, because of the employment issues. We moved to North Carolina, which is beautiful. Since we have been back we have had people tell us how hot it is. Yes, it was hot, but there wasn't as much humidity that made you feel like you sweating while you are just sitting still. We both had jobs there and were very happy and content. We really didn't want to come back to Michigan, but due to a family members illness, we did. We felt that was the best thing to do, to be here for our family. Michigan is beautiful(in some areas) also, but eventually we want to move out of state again.

Last edited by Kattie; 09-22-2008 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add a statement

Old 11-01-2008, 09:05 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,969,175 times
I sold my house in mid-Sept. and have been searching out new places to live. I'll be moving to Greenville, SC. It's beautiful and there are jobs there. Oh and the cost of living is lower!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:42 PM

98 posts, read 321,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I sold my house in mid-Sept. and have been searching out new places to live. I'll be moving to Greenville, SC. It's beautiful and there are jobs there. Oh and the cost of living is lower!
I'm not trying to be mean or anything but have you read some posts on the Greenville forum lately? There is a lot of talk about how few jobs are available there and how most of them are very low paying - just check it out if you haven't.

My husband and I were thinking about moving there b/c some of his family is there but he just got promoted and I love my job so why would we go? Plus we do have most of our family here and after ALOT of thought and research...we like MI! To each his own - move if that will make you happy but check out what Greenville locals have to say about jobs and pay - homes may be cheaper but that may mean you won't make as much $ so it's all relative.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:50 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,969,175 times
Of course I have been reading and posting on that forum. I've even asked about jobs there. I have spoken with two agencies and neither think I will have a hard time finding a job with my experience in the price range I seek. I am not looking for a super high paying job, but it looks like I will be able to find a job making more to start than I did after working in TC at a business for eleven years. Traverse City is an expensive place to live relative to wages.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 AM

46 posts, read 104,598 times
We are going to have to move due to the job status here. The lay offs in the auto industry are hurting many people. We understand that we will not get anything near our house's actual value and will probably have to take a huge loss before we can sincerely start to rebuild. The crime is increasing as the jobs are leaving as well. Almost every night we see something in the newspaper. The only real job area around us right now is U of M and an engineer / autoworker will not find much there.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 9,545 times
We were going to move out of Michigan, but we stayed due to my father's health condition. I'm glad we stayed, but I still would like to get out of here. The job status here is terrible. Once the auto industry started going down hill, the domino effect kicked in. My husband is in construction and that has slowed down so much. Last year he spent the whole year out in Hawaii working because there was nothing here. He has found a job here, it's not the best, but it gets us from paycheck to paycheck. I hate living like that. I have always been a penny pincher, but now it's like there aren't many pennies to pinch. JMO

Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut73m View Post
We were going to move out of Michigan, but we stayed due to my father's health condition. I'm glad we stayed, but I still would like to get out of here. The job status here is terrible. Once the auto industry started going down hill, the domino effect kicked in. My husband is in construction and that has slowed down so much. Last year he spent the whole year out in Hawaii working because there was nothing here. He has found a job here, it's not the best, but it gets us from paycheck to paycheck. I hate living like that. I have always been a penny pincher, but now it's like there aren't many pennies to pinch. JMO

Pretty sad, huh? Do you have an idea of where you are going?

Good luck to you, we had to do the same. Isn't easy.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 9,545 times
It is very sad, but unfortunatley if we go it won't be for a couple of years now. We were going to go to Hawaii. Most of my husband's family lives there.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut73m View Post
It is very sad, but unfortunatley if we go it won't be for a couple of years now. We were going to go to Hawaii. Most of my husband's family lives there.
Do you think you'll be able to afford to live in Hawaii? As far as I know the cost of living is insane and it only makes sense to live there if you're going to be upper middle class (say income over $200,000/year). Everything is more expensive--gasoline, food (thank goodness for Costco), and especially real estate. I think people's best bet might be Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan