Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 04:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,654 times

Advertisements

Sounds like maybe Florida would be a good place for your husband.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,977,266 times
Default AZ vs Michigan

I grew up in California, then spent 10 years in Arizona, and then I moved to Michigan in 2007. Here are my comments about the South West vs. Michigan.

1) The Economy. There are good jobs in Michigan, I have one, but only in certain industries. The economy out in the South West is more diverse with greater opportunities. But if you move to Arizona, or Texas, or New Mexico, you shouldn't automatically think that this will be your ticket to great wealth.

2) The People. I've seen a lot of post here saying that people out in the Southwest aren't as friendly as people from the Midwest. All I can say is that I live in the Novi area right now, and people here are total @ss holes. They are unfriendly, the worst drivers of any state I've been in, and have attituted of superiority that is continuously amusing and confusing to me. I think the real comparison here is small town vs. big town. In Michigan there are a lot of small towns where people are friendly. People move from Michigan to big cities like Dallas or Phoenix, and are disappointed with the rude people. I think this doesn't really have much to do with state vs. state as size of the city. It is all about figuring out the scene in which you live and being out going I think. I lived in the Phoenix/Tempe area for 8 years and all I can say is that even though the area seemed cold at first I met a lot of great people and still have friends there.

3. The Weather. It is freaken hot in the South West during the summers. It is freaking cold in Michigan during the winter. It really is which causes you to suffer the least. When it is 110 out, even though it sucks, I can still drive on a freeway going 70. Not advisable when there is snow on the road. So it is easier to travel around the Southwest in the summer then Michigan in the winter. Plus I think snow causes a lot of minor accidents that you avoid in the South West.

4. Taxes and Real Estate. Taxes are way, way lower out in the South West then they are in Michigan. The state of Michigan is the only entity making money on real estate now. Small town real estate in Michigan is really a great bargain (minus the taxes), but you have to pair your house with a job that will pay the mortgage, which again unless you are in those industries in Michigan that are still paying (generally in the big cities), paying the mortgage is hard. Out in the South West people are loosing their homes right and left though, as what was thought to be a continuous at least 10% increase a year turned out to be false, and the real estate market out there has crashed as well. I have a condo in Tempe that I'm having trouble off loading. That being said, because of the more diverse economy, real estate will pick up (I believe) in the South West sooner then in Michigan.

5. Schools and Health Care. Michigan has health care beet hands down over the South West. I've had better doctors and health care in Michigan over the last year then the last 34 years in the Southwest. I can't really vouch for schools, as I don't have kids, but I would hope that all the taxes on real estate are paying for good schools here in Michigan. My wife had a really bad experience growing up here, so even though I hear that the schools in Michigan are better, I'm not 100% convinced. A lot of my relatives went through the public school systems in Tempe, and they all ended up being well educated successful people. So on schools I can't really say.

6. Lack of Water. I think I've heard this one enough. Before they build things in Arizona they have to proove that water will exist for the new builds for something like 150 years. Of course their is corruption and I believe if we had another dust bowl like drought Arizona in particular and the South West in general would find that they really didn't adequately prepare water for their populations. But, that is only going to happen in severe circumstances. If circumstances are that severe, the whole country will be effected (maybe not with lack of water, but definately economically), so you Michganders can quit patting yourself on the back and feeling better about less opportunities here with the comfort that some day soon the South West will run out of water. This probably won't happen. Or if it does we will all be screwed.

7. Beauty. Michigan, in the summer time (and even in the winter), is beautiful. The south west is not.

So, if you grew up in Michigan, don't mind the cold, and have a good paying job, their is no reason for you to move. If you don't have the best job, but you aren't in a super high demand position, don't automatically think that moving out of Michigan will land you a dream job, it will just up your chances of finding something that pays more then you are making now. f you have on going medical issues, I'd probably stick to Michigan if you can as well. If you are sick of the cold, don't have a good job, then hi tail it to the South West for a few years. You can always come back if you don't like it.

All in all I like Michigan. I miss the convenience of the South West (driving in Winter, generally more stores and restaurants in shorter ranges), but the beauty of Michigan is a nice break from dirt and cacti for me. I think a lot of times where ever you live you take your problems with you, though sometimes a clean slate can kind of kick start you a little bit.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times
Great post, Infocyde!

I moved from SE MI to Phoenix in 2004. I'm from Brighton, so you probably know where that is from living in Novi.

Being in the manufacturing industry for 25 years, I can tell you it's a much different business climate out here in Phoenix. You'd better bring a skill set out here with ya from MI, as there are plenty of low paying jobs in that sector, as well as good paying jobs. Not everyone can work at Honeywell.

Even though I have great friends in both AZ & MI, I think folks can be quite "clicky" in Michigan. And yes, they can seem quite "snobbish". Kinda reminds of Scottsdale.

Some folks in MI will actually be angry with you when you show up to work in a brand new car...

The weather in Phoenix just can't be beat, and I tell newbies in The Valley that it takes one full summer to get used to it out here. Living in MI can be tough on the psyche due to the long winters. Summers there can't be beat though. And yes, I do miss all of those trees, water, and my favorite camping spot. Both places are pretty in their own attributes.

All in all, taxes are lower out here in AZ. We pay a higher sales tax, but real estate and income taxes are noticably lower. I'll hazard a guess and say that'll prob'ly change. But for now we'll enjoy it.

Last edited by YAZ; 07-29-2008 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: sic

Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 680,196 times
I want a change of venue and to take a chance and go someplace new, get out of my comfort zone.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM

837 posts, read 2,335,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginav View Post
You are so right!!!! We are leaving Michigan. My husband works for IBM from home, so we can stay, but chose to leave because of Granholm. We could have had a businessman who knows how to lure in business, but because everyone in Michigan is all Democrats and Union, they blindly vote for someone who has done not one thing for this state. And all those people who say she has had opposition, if that was the case, why bother even running if you knew it was hopeless. Since she has been governor, there has not been even one thing positive she has done. Good by Michigan and good riddance!!! She said one thing in her campaign...."In 5 years you will blown away" she was right, blown right out of Michigan.
you guys can beat Granholm till she bleeds no more, and blame the democrats for the avalanche that was created by the giant snoball that was rolling and gaining momentum fast when ENGLER left office. I'm not defending her, but to be so niave to think that MI's problems stem from democratic or republican leadership or lack their of is ludicris.
Michigan is doing bad, and the has been on a steady decline for along time. EVERYONE should have seen the writing on the wall along time ago but didn't Honestly I'm so glad I left and moved to AZ a year and half ago, but unfortunately I still own my home that is worth a fraction of what I owe on it, so I'm stuck to MI by some form one way or another.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:22 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,977,266 times
Michigan has two main problems. Detroit (a total mess), and an economy that even today is still too focused on the automobile industry. Until the giant sucking sound of manufacturing jobs leaving America to the third world gets silenced (either by people waking up or by there being nothing left to suck), Michigan will still have problems. I think Michigan is starting to try to help businesses deversify (though government can only do so much), and there is some level headedness about keeping taxes bearable (rather then over taxing the people and businesses who stay, further causing more people to leave). Detriot, I don't know what to do about. Maybe troops returning home from Iraq can deploy to Operation Quami Squash (that thug has to go). There are a few positive signs but nothing to get me excited about Detroits future.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,554 times
Home is where you hang your hat. Not sure it's worth it if you have to move away from friends and family.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I 6. Lack of Water. I think I've heard this one enough. Before they build things in Arizona they have to proove that water will exist for the new builds for something like 150 years. Of course their is corruption and I believe if we had another dust bowl like drought Arizona in particular and the South West in general would find that they really didn't adequately prepare water for their populations. But, that is only going to happen in severe circumstances. If circumstances are that severe, the whole country will be effected (maybe not with lack of water, but definately economically), so you Michganders can quit patting yourself on the back and feeling better about less opportunities here with the comfort that some day soon the South West will run out of water. This probably won't happen. Or if it does we will all be screwed.

7. Beauty. Michigan, in the summer time (and even in the winter), is beautiful. The south west is not.

So, if you grew up in Michigan, don't mind the cold, and have a good paying job, their is no reason for you to move. If you don't have the best job, but you aren't in a super high demand position, don't automatically think that moving out of Michigan will land you a dream job, it will just up your chances of finding something that pays more then you are making now. f you have on going medical issues, I'd probably stick to Michigan if you can as well. If you are sick of the cold, don't have a good job, then hi tail it to the South West for a few years. You can always come back if you don't like it.

All in all I like Michigan. I miss the convenience of the South West (driving in Winter, generally more stores and restaurants in shorter ranges), but the beauty of Michigan is a nice break from dirt and cacti for me. I think a lot of times where ever you live you take your problems with you, though sometimes a clean slate can kind of kick start you a little bit.
I don't live in Arizona but I live in the SW, my well is only 60 feet down so I have water. We also get rain but it tends to come all in one month. We try not to water yards every day and have landscaping that fits with the climate.

Summer here is very beautiful, again I don't live in Phoenix but the pine forests, the deserts, the mountains are beautiful.

I agree with the rest however -- You can always go back when things change enough for you to go back and that depends on one's own situation. Someone close to retirement obviously can go back for their retirement, someone starting a career and needing job experience can go whereever they can get that --- and actually that's always been the case, jobs don't always come to you, you have to go to them.

The one thing I can't see doing is sitting in one place expecting everything will some how change to suit you or going for a long time without a job, letting your special job skills become outdated or building a resume with large employment gaps.

You do what you have to do, or you do what you want to do, or sometimes you manage to combine the two.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM

382 posts, read 1,054,368 times
Port Huron, Kalamazoo + U of M > California or East Coast

I love this state, especially Kalamazoo, but I have no emotion about leaving- population shifts happen in this era of internet and globalization. Michigan is naturally beautiful and better suited for lush forests and pristine, sand dunes and beaches.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM

14 posts, read 67,690 times
Default We finally got out!

My husband and I were both born and raised in Michigan (Detroit suburbs). I never loved it, but family was all there, good jobs, decent life. A couple of years ago, my dad suddenly was laid off (auto industry), and had to move out of state to find a job. Over the next year, my husband's job looked bleak as well, as there were waves of layoffs coming every few months. So when he got a call from a job recruiter with an offer in Kansas, we went. We couldn't be happier where we live now. Our town is great, husband's commute is 6 minutes, great shopping close by, low housing costs, gas is cheapest in the nation here right now.....it's amazing what a change of scenery can do for your outlook on life. Goodbye Michigan.......I couldn't be happier that we got out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan