Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM

78 posts, read 348,269 times

Advertisements

I left Michigan (Utica/Shelby Township) in 1990. But, I had no choice in the matter as I was only 7 years old at the time... My brother stayed behind and currently lives in Sterling Heights. I've always had fond memories of Michigan and am moving back in November, to Grand Rapids.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:23 PM

89 posts, read 306,357 times
The downside I was referring to is the weather doesnt allow the things I prefer and yes, those are fun but I think everyone can agree with gas prices not everyone can take out the snowmobiles and jetski's every day or even every other day. If you read what I typed, the lake is great but in my case, thats all there is. It isnt meant to offend anyone and I cant apologize for how this state affects me personally, and many others that are relocating from it. There are things to do, but as far as festivals, in my area theyre ALWAYS rained out, and Im not talking light rain. You cant even plan on a BBQ with friends, itll be rained out. Some people have a good experience in any state and some dont, its not personal, its just our experience hasnt been good. We LOVE the lakefront and arent far from Holland which is nice, but as far as a big city this isnt one. If you research michigan its known as the "industrial state". We moved here when my husbands job transferred him, it was here or New York City where its just far more costly to live than anywhere, not to mention the filth in the streets. Like I said, its not meant to sound rude or offend people that like it here, but not everyone has the luxury of going out all the time for snowmobiling, some of us like other things also, not just those.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:51 AM

6 posts, read 19,179 times
Default leaving soon!!

I live in a small town in northern lower MI and the outlook here is very dim!! My wife is an RN so we are leaving to WY. Travel nurses can make great money out west right now so we are taking advantage of this. But the biggest reason for wanting to leave this beautiful state is, my son who just graduated this month cannot find employment. If he takes a minimum wage job it is at least a 30 mile drive and when you take away taxes, gas cost, food, he cannot make enough to make it worth his time. No way can he save enough money for school by fall! Many of the people from my small rural town work 30 to 60 miles away and the $4.29 gallon of fuel cost has caused many of them to just give up!! Some locals say that it is bad everywhere but he has a job lined up out west for three times what he can make here. The unemployment rate here is out of control and I see no chance of that geting any better any time soon.
Our kids here who have graduated haven't got alot of options if they want to stay here.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:34 AM

29,446 posts, read 14,628,378 times
I really don't want to leave Michigan. Eventually I might have to though. I did leave for almost two years worked just out of state... 3 hour drive. Had no intentions of making the move to there though.
I am back and working (design/engineer in the auto biz) but who knows for how long. I'll ride this to the end and when that happens make a move out west or down south.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,518 times
Man, this thread is depressing.

I moved to PA for grad school in 2006. I like the state of Michigan; I'd like to go back someday if I can. I kind of thought I needed to experience something else for a while, though.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voteforpedronow View Post
With oil making records every day how long can the auto industry sit by and think that the next big run on Escalad's or Excursions is just around the corner?
I see so many people buying those little scooters that were once thought to be something you only saw in cities in europe. There was even a writeup in the Gaylord Herald times that the only business to be doing well is the extreme motor sprots , the artical said that Honda scooters were up some 400% year over year.
I personaly have seen so many people who said they would never get rid of their SUV park it or sell it and buy a smaller car and a scooter. I knew we would change, it takes 4 and 5 a gallon gas to do it but we have to.
Even the rich who are able to pay 10 a gallon for gas, will they buy a 50k car that is worth 20k with a once around the block, and they can not keep the production line in business either. So the death nell of the SUV and big rigs is finaly here.
No longer will the silly remarks of Limbaugh and Hannity be heard but by the 15% who are Kool-Aid drinkers.
The problem with your politics is that Michigan with it's ultra-liberal governor is the worst off state economically. Texas which is relatively doing well, has a Republican governor.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 19,179 times
You got that right!! The ultra-liberals are also taking away a lot of rights (2nd)... that's another HUGE problem we are facing.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:34 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,098,262 times
I moved from Michigan to AZ for a teaching job. Probably the saddest thing I ever had to do. I intend to move back as soon as I can find a job.

1. Unbearable heat in AZ or mild cold in MI? This place was too hot in late March. Plus its so dry you constantly feel dehydrated.

2. Horrible education system. Underfunded schools, you can make so much more with a lot less education here. I know teaching is a calling but you need to make enough to live in a decent place and pay for all your class materials that the state doesn't help with.

3. People here are unfriendly and rude.

4. Housing overpriced. It will be overpriced until the median home price drops below 150k.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:21 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan19 View Post
Just wondering how bad the problem is.
What is your story and why you want to make the move and where?
We jumped ship just before it went really bad.

As with anything, there are a number of reason. However, the straw for me was the treasury switching me from annual sales tax reporting to quarterly. I was primarily service with only a small amount of retail, so there was absolutely no reason for it.

I had been bouncing around the idea of moving for a long time. However, I wasn't about to leave my business to chase some hair-brained notion... but once that letter came, everything changed. I was just at the end of it.

Over the couple years prior to my move, I had received a couple tickets from Detroit for parking and abandonment of cars I didn't own... That fed a lot into it. How can you get a ticket for a car you don't own?... I don't know, but those dirtbags found a way. How can you live under the threat that every six months you have to go down to that stinkhole to argue... and while you're there, paying for parking and losing a day of work, you might be risking another ticket?

I'm thankful I got away from that cesspool. I miss downriver and the north, but until the politics of the state change, I'll never go back... In fact, we're looking at moving out of the country now.

It's a crazy world... All you have to do is throw a dart at a map and start researching the place it hits.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:20 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I moved from Michigan to AZ for a teaching job. Probably the saddest thing I ever had to do. I intend to move back as soon as I can find a job.

1. Unbearable heat in AZ or mild cold in MI? This place was too hot in late March. Plus its so dry you constantly feel dehydrated.

2. Horrible education system. Underfunded schools, you can make so much more with a lot less education here. I know teaching is a calling but you need to make enough to live in a decent place and pay for all your class materials that the state doesn't help with.

3. People here are unfriendly and rude.

4. Housing overpriced. It will be overpriced until the median home price drops below 150k.
1. The heat takes some getting used to, but we love the weather out here in AZ. Not to mention the wonderful roads. Your car can last many years. A dip in the pool after work takes many worries away. If you like to exercise, mornings are perfect. Drink water all day.

2. You're not the first teacher I've heard "grumble" about the school systems here. Sure needs to be fixed. I have a mother, grandmother, and aunt that each taught school in MI for 30+ years. I think they're more "driven" back there than here....after talking to a couple of teachers here in Phoenix.

3. Ya gotta get out more. My wife & I have met many wonderful folks here.

4. 150k will buy you a very nice condo....wanna buy ours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan