Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 05:00 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Sounds like petty bitterness actually.
No not at all. I might be bitter if I was stuck in that place, but I am lucky enough to NOT be in MI and am doing very well and am very happy.

But I feel bad for the people who are actually thinking about moving there. They here all the bad stuff about MI, think 'it can't really be that bad', post on here...Get a few replies from people like you that say 'oh it's not that bad', 'the sky's not falling', 'things will turn around'.....You know the same garbage the people running the state say...Meanwhile, the sky is falling there, the state is in a horrible situation and it's only getting worse.

The me, me, me, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO FOR ME...sentiment continues to be so strong in that state, you ditch the candidate that tells you the truth and nominate the one who panders and tells you the auto jobs are coming back...the unions, union mentality, rules that state with an ironfist, and the people of the state are willing to sink with the ship. Good riddance...Every other state in the union that has lost industry has figured out how to move on...After 30+years MI still has not, nor will it EVER!

That is a very bad place for somebody to think about moving and buying a home. Somebody with the responsibilities of a family, and making a living to support that family can, and very likely may find themselves in a really bad situation if they move to MI. They lost their job, very little chance of finding another one, and they have a home that is likely dropping in value and will sit on the market for one-to-several years. That is a bad situation to end up in.

So you keep saying things are fine...I'll keep warning people about how things really are!

Old 01-20-2008, 05:11 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Never said things were fine. The state does have some very serious issues that need to be addressed. I will agree with you on the political choices that have been made lately. Romney???? Oh for the love of all things Holy, what a boob!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:29 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Never said things were fine. The state does have some very serious issues that need to be addressed. I will agree with you on the political choices that have been made lately. Romney???? Oh for the love of all things Holy, what a boob!
See that's kinda what 'set me off'. I'm long gone from MI, have no ties, could care less...But when I saw that McCain started out way ahead there, and lost all his ground to Romney basically because McCain told MI, the manufacturing jobs aren't coming back, it's time to move on and do something else to save your economy like the rest of the United States has more or less figured out...Then they say that McCain lost because he said that, and the bobblehead Romney won, mainly because he spoonfed the people that he would bring all the jobs back...It was like just one more, of many, nails in the coffin called MI.

The state is a lost cause. Anybody with any brains, any desire to do something for themselves, any desire to give their children a decent life and future has left or is trying to leave that state.

It pains me to say it, but MI gets everything they deserve! They don't want to hear the truth, they can't handle the truth, they keep putting the same useless politicians in office to continue running the state in the ground. There's a reason business avoids MI like the plague. But the remaining citazens aren't concerned with that, they care more about being told that they will be able to have their job sweeping bathrooms in the auto plant for $35/hr, and 100% free benefits, for the rest of their life!

Nobody deserves to move into that mess, unless they truely know what they are getting themselves into.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
One thing you are forgetting though, is that the State is so much more than the Southeast corner. Romney didn't carry every county, and that is what should give a glimmer of hope that there are still people who do not believe that the auto industry is going to save the State. The West side isn't doing too badly actually, yes there is high unemployment there as well, but there is far more acknowledged diversity in jobs and opportunities than in the Detroit area overall. You couldn't pay me enough to move to the SE corner, but that has been my stand for over 40 years. I just don't like it down there, too many people for my tastes. It boils down to what are people willing to do to get out of the hole they might be in. If a career change is needed, CHANGE, don't gripe there isn't any need for underwater basket weavers (or whatever) anymore. Look around and see what fields are active and needing workers, then aggressively go after the training to make yourself employable again. Not saying that is what happened to you GAisGreat, but in general. Yes it is easy for me to say that, I happen to have a highly marketable skill, and so does my wife. Both in fields that are not going to go away in our lives. Mine I have to keep up with a bit more aggressively because it is an ever changing field, but that is why I still like it after 26 years of doing it.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:10 PM

83 posts, read 66,482 times
To be sure none wants to live in a place where temperatures drop to minus 25-30 celsius.The coldest place is in russia called vernhosk and it is minus 70 there.These are forgotten places where people populate it for no reason.However today in miami was chilly,but again as someone who lived here for 11 years can attest to one fact that this state has not improved at all.If there is any additions,those are very small.There hasn`t been any booming construction here for that long.What does that tell you?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
...But when I saw that McCain started out way ahead there, and lost all his ground to Romney basically because McCain told MI, the manufacturing jobs aren't coming back, it's time to move on and do something else to save your economy like the rest of the United States has more or less figured out...Then they say that McCain lost because he said that, and the bobblehead Romney won, mainly because he spoonfed the people that he would bring all the jobs back...It was like just one more, of many, nails in the coffin called MI.
The problem with what McCain said though -- the rest of the country is moving into a recession -- at least much of it. What's he going to tell California? California has people moving out and a big financial problems. A state like Texas has a huge uninsured population which is growing fast. Florida seems to have terrible crime problems.

I don't see any of the remaining politicians running for president come with any viable plan. Just "do something else" doesn't seem to be providing much leadership. Not with the housing bubble bursting the way it is.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,343 times
Default Can not find work

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan19 View Post
Just wondering how bad the problem is.
What is your story and why you want to make the move and where?
My problem is finding a job in my field, that isn't a hour or two drive from my home. I have house taxes, car payments, car and house insurance on top of my daily living expenses. With the current gas prices and wages in Michigan I can't afford to travel such long distances to pursue work. I love my state and city, but they both have me between a rock and a cold hard space and the walls are closing in on me fast.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,800 times
I love Michigan. I was born and raised here. I love the seasons and I especially love to travel north.

My problem is a job. I have been looking since August for a job and either I am over-qualified or I get absolutely no response at all.

It looks like I am leaving MI just so I can support the family, it really is disappointing to me!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:25 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
See that's kinda what 'set me off'. I'm long gone from MI, have no ties, could care less...But when I saw that McCain started out way ahead there, and lost all his ground to Romney basically because McCain told MI, the manufacturing jobs aren't coming back, it's time to move on and do something else to save your economy like the rest of the United States has more or less figured out...Then they say that McCain lost because he said that, and the bobblehead Romney won, mainly because he spoonfed the people that he would bring all the jobs back...It was like just one more, of many, nails in the coffin called MI.

The state is a lost cause. Anybody with any brains, any desire to do something for themselves, any desire to give their children a decent life and future has left or is trying to leave that state.

It pains me to say it, but MI gets everything they deserve! They don't want to hear the truth, they can't handle the truth, they keep putting the same useless politicians in office to continue running the state in the ground. There's a reason business avoids MI like the plague. But the remaining citazens aren't concerned with that, they care more about being told that they will be able to have their job sweeping bathrooms in the auto plant for $35/hr, and 100% free benefits, for the rest of their life!

Nobody deserves to move into that mess, unless they truely know what they are getting themselves into.
Broad statements like this pretty much ruin your credibility. Businesses avoid Michigan like the plague? Are you talking about the hundreds of thousands of small businesses in Michigan and more that are started every day? And to say that anyone with any brains, any desire yada yada blah blah is insulting to say the least.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in Georgia. How's that water shortage and out-of-control sprawl going by the way?

Oh wait, here's how it's going:

http://www.drought.unl.edu/DM/pics/ga_dm.png (broken link)

Regional Drought Monitor: Southeast (http://www.drought.unl.edu/DM/DM_southeast.htm - broken link)

I wonder how many companies want to move to a state with no water? What happens when power plants run out of much-needed cooling water?

But hey, if our governor just prays for rain, all will be OK. Now that's the kind of action Granholm needs to take. She should just pray for more jobs.

If you keep convincing yourself Georgia is great, you really start to believe it.

Last edited by magellan; 01-22-2008 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,764 times
I went visited Augusta last summer...wasn't impressed with it at all. Atlanta's sprawling office parks and spread out downtown isn't that great either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan