Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,590 times

Advertisements

we have never had debt, other than our mortgage, and we don't have credit cards, the problem is no work. so dh is driving truck.
but the taxes, crime, and gov. really suck here. I love the state, but I am afraid there isn't going to be much left, it is in such bad shape. and everything is sky high here, taxes, food, fuel, everything.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
"everything is sky high here"

Not really. Taxes are in the middle. Gas is cheaper than or about the same as most states that I have been to recently. I think that we are about in the middle on gas prices. We were near the top for a little while, but it balanced out. (There was a newspaper article that said we were the highest at one time, but I flew to CA that day and gas was 20 cents higher than here.) Food is slightly cheaper than it was in California, but substantially cheaper when they have sales. Clothing the same. Housing is considerably cheaper than most populated states. If the current trend continues, some houses will be virtually free. I think that as a State Michigan crime rates are in the middle or at the low end too. Someone can probably find statistics. Of course you can usually find statistics that say whatever you want.

I have not looked at the numbers in quite a while, but I believe that overall cost of living was/is lower than most of the states with a substantial population (NY, DC, VA, MA, FLA, CA, WA, NC, AZ, OR, Not sure if we were lower than Texas, IL, IN, OH or GA, I may be missing some of the more populated states. Not sure.)

Old 01-13-2008, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,280 times
We would love to leave but we are stuck.our home won't sell.My husband owns a hardwood flooring company he works for many different carpet stores and builders.He also advertises and does work on his own.All the people he works for are almost at a stand still.Were lucky to get a job here or there.but it is not enough to cover the bills.We have a large family and we are getting scared we want out.It's funny we were considered middle class and things were great.But now we feel dirt poor.I wish we would have listened when others were leaving and left also.What happened to our nice life.I am getting very depressed staying here.And I hate to say it but my kids are getting really affected.Having to say we can't do this or that due to the econmy there isn't enough money.I think more and more middle class will soon be applying for food stamps.Our home is hitting the shreiff sale at the end of the month.We got a letter saying we will need to be out in June.I am very scared as to weather we are going to half a roof over our heads.Please pray Michigan gets better fast.We need a mircale.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:24 PM

31 posts, read 89,191 times
How sad, maybe we should thank all the people that voted for "you know who".

Old 01-14-2008, 10:11 AM

362 posts, read 1,503,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey2527 View Post
We would love to leave but we are stuck.our home won't sell.My husband owns a hardwood flooring company he works for many different carpet stores and builders.He also advertises and does work on his own.All the people he works for are almost at a stand still.Were lucky to get a job here or there.but it is not enough to cover the bills.We have a large family and we are getting scared we want out.It's funny we were considered middle class and things were great.But now we feel dirt poor.I wish we would have listened when others were leaving and left also.What happened to our nice life.I am getting very depressed staying here.And I hate to say it but my kids are getting really affected.Having to say we can't do this or that due to the econmy there isn't enough money.I think more and more middle class will soon be applying for food stamps.Our home is hitting the shreiff sale at the end of the month.We got a letter saying we will need to be out in June.I am very scared as to weather we are going to half a roof over our heads.Please pray Michigan gets better fast.We need a mircale.
Lacy, I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago. We "saved" our house twice, but the 3rd time, we just couldn't. When we were informed that our house had gone to the sheriff's sale and we had 5 months to move, we took that time to stockpile money, using the money that we normally would have paid for our mortgage and paid cash for a double wide mobile home. Granted, I was working at the time, but at less than half the pay I was used to. We are now selling THAT home because I'm now working in South Carolina and we decided to relocate. I wish we had done this about 6 years ago. My credit would still have been intact and I wouldn't have had to go thru the heartache of losing a home I'd lived in for almost 20 years.

You say that you are stuck, that your home won't sell -- but it's being taken away anyway, so use this time to look elsewhere. Don't wait until the last minute. I would suggest that you look in the southeast US, as jobs are pretty plentiful down here. I would also suggest that a job be secured FIRST before any move.

Hope this helps, but I empathize with your situation.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 AM

47 posts, read 152,129 times
Default We know how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey2527 View Post
I am very sorry for what you and your family are going thru.
Have faith that things will get better soon.
We moved out of Michigan 5 months ago. I lost my job and our world that we knew turned upside down.
There are jobs here in Wichita. KS, that's how far we are from home but we have to survive. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:09 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganTrap View Post
If Jennifer Granholm had any dignity she would admit she is incapable of doing the job she is being paid an unwarranted high wage to do and resign. She should be ashamed of herself for what she has done to this state and to the people here. She has taken our money, driven away jobs - not to mention our families and friends, driven down the value of our homes because no one in their right mind would want to come here. And what has she given us? Bigger government, illegals and foreigners here on h1b visas (to replace all of our family and friends who were lucky enough to escape...gotta revitalize the tax base), crappy schools, a great big state police station, the lasting stigma of just the word Michigan or Detroit...did she give us those stupid blue things over 94?

She is taking our future...our children's future, because effects of her reign will no doubt be felt for years after she is gone.

Isn't there a movie called "Enemy of the State"? It should have Jennifer Granholms picture underneath!

The tables need to be turned on her.
Just curious. I don't live in Michigan. Did your unions tell you to vote for Granholm?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 AM

83 posts, read 66,501 times
I don`t have grudges with politicians.It`s stupid to even have one because i don`t elect them.My problem has been american companies and obviously now they are getting their arses handed.I don`t have one drop of sympathy or compassion for Corporate America.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 PM

21 posts, read 70,894 times
I just read that in 3 years 3.25 mil. people will have moved away from michigan due to state problems, dont forget to turn out the lights........!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM

21 posts, read 70,894 times
Granholm made a good sec.of state, but now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan