Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,517 times

Advertisements

Hey its not so bad.........we still do a great deal of manufacturing.....we manufacture college grads customed ordered to ship across the country!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM

27 posts, read 97,609 times
My BF and I are moving to Austin. We are tired of being unemployed, tired of the cold and snow, and tired of crime and horror stories on the news. We live downtown Detroit right now and although Detroit has a lot of potential and could possibly turn around, we can't hold out any more. We both have friends and acquaintances who have moved out of the city and have found gainful employment within a few months. I have a degree and have not had a full time job in over a year, and not for lack of trying. I just want to get out before I start hating the city I grew up in.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 PM

12 posts, read 44,790 times
My wife and I are tired of the cold. I was born and rasied in Roscommon County and I can honestly say that I am sick of snow, sick of salt, sick of crumbling bridges and 4 foot long and 2 foot deep pot holes. Besides that, I've survived five layoffs five years in a row, my wife wasn't as lucky and I'm not taking a chance on number six. We're heading south as soon as the sale on our house here is final.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 AM

90 posts, read 264,207 times
I like michigan. Its a nice place to visit for about 3 months in the summer. I moved out of S.E. Michigan in 1982 to South Florida. Never regreted it for a second.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
Hey its not so bad.........we still do a great deal of manufacturing.....we manufacture college grads customed ordered to ship across the country!
You got that one right. Our biggest export right now is people.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 AM

837 posts, read 2,335,339 times
I moved from MI in Jan of 07', after getting laid off once again from the never ending stream of contract jobs that I held over the years. I simply started sending my resume out to companies in AZ and within a week lined up 3 interviews and flew out meet with them. Been here ever since! I too was tired of the cold, snow and ice, but honestly IF I had the job I have NOW in MI then I'd move back, because I miss my family. But the wheather is great out here, jobs are plentiful. I have to admit whenever I go home to visit after 3 days or so I'm soooo ready to get back to Phoenix!
My Grandfather migrated to MI in the 40's for work in the plant, and everyone eventually followed. I suspect the same trends are happening nowadays as well, People went from agricultural to manufactoring, and now people are leaning more towards technology or service industry related jobs, but unfortunately there aren't very many in MI.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:39 PM

89 posts, read 306,465 times
Default I moved here from Cali and moving again becuz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan19 View Post
Just wondering how bad the problem is.
What is your story and why you want to make the move and where?

My husband and I moved our family to grand rapids in 2002 and its been a downhill slide from then. At the time this was on the top 3 list of places to be for jobs, schooling, etc. Turns out its now the #2 worst place to live in the USA, which is pretty bad when you think of all the nasty places there are. We moved here from Cali, and being from a city larger than here, I have to say theres nothing to do here other than spend a ton on gas to get away and head to chicago. We just dont like it here, other than the lake it has nothing to offer. Once youve done and seen the fun stuff, which is ummm lets see, maybe Miejer Gardens if you like that stuff, then youve done it all. My daughter cant seem to meet any friends that arent all alcoholics, and we had no idea Michigan is the #1 state for AA's and depressed people, mainly due to very long winters and hot humid rainy summers and springs. It truly is a very depressing place. I cant wait to leave in August. Im seriously trying to find a positive note to tell for my 6 yrs here but Im drawing blanks. The only fun ive had was leaving for a one day trip to somewhere else, never just here.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 PM

89 posts, read 306,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post

If you look at those grads youll see theyre still seeking a job, there arent any here Its sad, college tuition here in michigan is the highest in the country, so anyone wanting to go gets scared about loans, etc and they end up not doing it at all. They raised the tuition more than double last year, and they say the students enrolled dropped by over half.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post
I like michigan. Its a nice place to visit for about 3 months in the summer. I moved out of S.E. Michigan in 1982 to South Florida. Never regreted it for a second.
I left Michigan for the SW -- I needed more sun and warm weather. Maybe it's nicer to leave when it's more of a choice or the reasons have little to do with money or needing a job.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:34 AM

749 posts, read 2,772,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefrontgirl View Post
My husband and I moved our family to grand rapids in 2002 and its been a downhill slide from then. At the time this was on the top 3 list of places to be for jobs, schooling, etc. Turns out its now the #2 worst place to live in the USA, which is pretty bad when you think of all the nasty places there are. We moved here from Cali, and being from a city larger than here, I have to say theres nothing to do here other than spend a ton on gas to get away and head to chicago. We just dont like it here, other than the lake it has nothing to offer. Once youve done and seen the fun stuff, which is ummm lets see, maybe Miejer Gardens if you like that stuff, then youve done it all. My daughter cant seem to meet any friends that arent all alcoholics, and we had no idea Michigan is the #1 state for AA's and depressed people, mainly due to very long winters and hot humid rainy summers and springs. It truly is a very depressing place. I cant wait to leave in August. Im seriously trying to find a positive note to tell for my 6 yrs here but Im drawing blanks. The only fun ive had was leaving for a one day trip to somewhere else, never just here.

Youre right, you dont belong here cause there is PLENTY to do in Michigan all year long.........just not your kind of stuff apparently. Fishing, boating, hiking, camping, canoing, tons of festivals all year long, hunting, skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobling, ice fishing, tons of historical sites to visit, the Dunes, waterfalls, the great colors in the fall.....I could go on and on.......but you seem like Big City folk who need a different kind of excitement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan