Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 03:32 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
Double major of sociology and technical writing. Sociology is obviously not marketable but the technical writing part is very much in demand elsewhere, but here in MI every place wants you to have 5+ years of tech writing experience before they'll hire you. I do have 6 years of freelance writing experience, but it's not specifically *technical* writing so it doesn't seem to count. In bigger cities I could at least get a job in my field and start out as a temp to get that experience.
Have you tried americorps yet? My sister was a sociology major and was not sure what to do yet so she when into the americorps. They helped pay a bit of here school loans and helped here to get some experience.

As for technical writing. NYC is pretty open market for that. But the expense of living there is off the charts. And Dude I in N. Jersey right now, just outside NYC and I'm seeing alot of MI, and OH plates around here lately.

Actually check into some jobs for tech writing NYC and see if you can find a decent rental in Hoboken/Weehawken NJ. Hoboken a lively semi-city right across the Hudson from Manhattan. It's a place young professionals and recent college grads just as yourself to live. And yeah the social seen there is rock'in.

Good luck either way.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:47 PM

293 posts, read 850,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Have you tried americorps yet? My sister was a sociology major and was not sure what to do yet so she when into the americorps. They helped pay a bit of here school loans and helped here to get some experience.

As for technical writing. NYC is pretty open market for that. But the expense of living there is off the charts. And Dude I in N. Jersey right now, just outside NYC and I'm seeing alot of MI, and OH plates around here lately.

Actually check into some jobs for tech writing NYC and see if you can find a decent rental in Hoboken/Weehawken NJ. Hoboken a lively semi-city right across the Hudson from Manhattan. It's a place young professionals and recent college grads just as yourself to live. And yeah the social seen there is rock'in.

Good luck either way.
Thanks for the tips and the good luck. I don't know much about Americorps but I always thought it was something that was like a volunteer work year or something? Although I just finished my degree last year, I'm not a typical recent college grad because I went back after having my kids and am now in my early 30s. Fortunately my husband and kids are willing to move with me if I get a job, but my mobility is a little more limited because of those considerations.

I do know NYC is the place for writers; I'm just intimidated by the high cost. Austin, TX also has a ton of technical writing jobs too but as I understand it, the cost of living is rising there too. I just have to decide where I want to be and find a way to get there!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:12 AM

80 posts, read 148,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwart View Post
I think michigan is the greatest state for summer cottages on the lake. But michigan sucks the rest of the year. It is way too cold and the big cities like Detroit, Flint, and Lansing are getting worse and worse every year because of all the auto plant layoffs. Grand Rapids is ok. I'm headed to Texas where there is hot weather, cheap real estate, and people enjoy going into the big cities.
Even Grand Rapids is starting to decline. Just check out the daily news on Wodtv dot com and its mostly deaths, crime, and stupidity articles.. doom and gloom.

Like you, I'm texas bound by years end.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:11 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Good Luck down in Texas, hope you find much greener pastures than I did when I went down from Michigan.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,490 times
The Eyes of Texas are Upon You all the livelong day.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Good Luck down in Texas, hope you find much greener pastures than I did when I went down from Michigan.
Texas can be good, sometimes it's the road less traveled that works out better, myself, I couldn't live in one of the big cities of Texas but some of the towns outside them are quite nice.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:50 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Texas was ranked by CNBC as the number 1 place to do business. I hear the economy is strong down there right now. I could not live there because of the very long lasting heat season and extreme sun angle.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
The Eyes of Texas are Upon You all the livelong day.
Is that a good thing? (creepy)

Old 07-26-2008, 05:57 AM

85 posts, read 279,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
Double major of sociology and technical writing. Sociology is obviously not marketable but the technical writing part is very much in demand elsewhere, but here in MI every place wants you to have 5+ years of tech writing experience, often in very specific industries, before they'll hire you. I do have 6 years of freelance writing experience, but it's not specifically *technical* writing so it doesn't seem to count. In bigger cities I could at least get a job in my field and start out as a temp to get that experience.

Just some light at the end of your tunnel....up here in Toronto, where there is no recession (yet anyway) new grads from simliar programs also have a tough time finding their first job.....not sure if that helps, but rest assured if you keep trying (not matter where) you will find something

The reason I comment is that I was just speaking to my sister-in-law in what will be one of our last visits (she has a BSc...her hubby a BA in Sociology) and she was complaining that many of her friends and family have trouble finding work (and never in their field).....a few YEARS of looking, all the while taking jobs unrealted....my hubby has an engineering degree and me a business one with post grad in HR and we have not had many issues (my husband never)....I am a strong believer that my parents generation were so big on sending their kiddies to university/college - no matter what - even if it meant their kids got a 4 year education in basically advanced high school...we have told our eldest (13 now) that we want him to have a focus, whether a trade (there is a decline in mechaincs, electricians and such up here) or specific degree (like his dad). I am not a snob, a universtiy degree does little to secure a job, simply tells an employer you can study, focus and commit....don't get me wrong, it's still important to have a post-secondary education, but I'd rather our kids be successful plumbers making decent money than a college educated customer service rep

PS -- this is the situation up here...plumbers, carpenters, mechanics etc CHARGE A FOURTUNE!!!!) so my apologies if it's not relevant there. Given that we are moving to Michigan in a few weeks time, I'm pretty excited.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Texas was ranked by CNBC as the number 1 place to do business. I hear the economy is strong down there right now. I could not live there because of the very long lasting heat season and extreme sun angle.
Yes because in Texas they don't strike to have birthdays off as a holiday and for wage increases when times are hard and joblessness is high. Texas is more business-friendly which helps a lot.

Just when I was feeling sorry for the people of Michigan for the economy there, I heard about a number of unions going on strike, shutting down many other plants and costing many people their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan