Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 10:22 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think that's the problem with the economy nationally -- it's based solely on growth. The population of the USA is growing incredibly fast so new homes must be built, which creates construction and bank jobs and other service industry jobs, but there's no other solid base for the economy.

I would be leery of the long-term for any place that is growing just because it is growing with no good economic base.
True, and most of the growth is centered in certain areas because of domestic migration (not real growth, just deck chairs being moved around), yet millions of new homes and the subsequent retail stores and roads are being built. I'm just wondering how long this wastefulness can go on (?).

The only real "growth" is international immigration, mainly immigrants from Mexico and Cuba taking many of the low income jobs (and sending money back to their home countries). Not really creating sustainable business enterprises for future generations to build wealth (probably an over-generalization, but generally true). I'm not anti-immigration. It just seems like it can't go on forever. And it seems like it won't be long before these high-growth areas will start to demand more and more resources from other parts of the country, especially when you look at the states and areas that are leading the country in sustainable building practices aren't usually the ones with explosive growth (ie, I doubt you'll ever see Phoenix, Raleigh or Las Vegas leading the country in LEED projects).

Old 07-14-2008, 02:34 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,517 times
And while I agree with some posts that green pastures eventually do brown, however the situation here in Michigan is different. Yes, NC and other states provided quick fixes for those looking for a more stable environment, however the sheer effects from the number of people that have left this state is incomprehensible at the current time, and is still playing out in micro markets across the state. Speaking in terms of tax dollars lost, it would certainly take near a decade of steady population increase to reverse the current negative trends that are occurring. People across the country know the situation of the Midwest, so the situation has turned into a physiological problem. Those who hold fairly stable employment of course think differently of the current recession, while the many that have no choice after months of unemployment must do something to preserve their financial future. There are many forces at work which are not being measured or monitored, such as small business failures, and trends of discouraged workers. Often, we look at the media for stipulation regarding our situation, however the real story can be heard at the local bar, coffee house, or talking to your neighbor. Are we being diligent in "sticking" it out in a rough time? Or are we blinded by the opinions of those who quite certainly are not as affected as most? The bottom line then becomes, do we look out the window for saviors to move back, or do we flee radiator springs?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 PM

37 posts, read 123,482 times
My fiance and I are moving to Raleigh, NC in a week. I graduated college with a teaching degree and can't find a job for the life of me. I was in NC for 3 days and had 8 offers. He graduated with a degree in IT and immediately got a job (although it was working for the company his dad works for) he got offered a job in NC and his pay is immediately doubled from what he is making now. I am definitely a warm weather person but I am going to miss our families and friends - but I hope we can make NC our new home!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,968,486 times
I am selling my house and the closing was to have been today, but the buyer pulled out last week. Looks like I will be searching for another job here in TC soon. I was all set to go to SE GA and job hunt. I'm on unemployment, and have been out of work since Jan. 1, with just some pt work here and there. Hopefully I can find a way to stay afloat up here until things improve.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 7,081 times
Unhappy Quickly

I plan to move out of Michigan as soon my college studies are through....

Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 15,653 times
Put my name on that list too.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 AM

63 posts, read 129,351 times
After 20 years in beautiful Traverse City, I too am ready for a move.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:50 PM

293 posts, read 850,114 times
I'm thinking I'm probably just going to have to make a break for it and move out of state, but I'm really scared. I graduated from college with my BA a year ago and still can't find a full-time job, so I'm working part-time for minimum wage. I can't even make my student loan payments yet. But a year of searching and sending out resumes and getting the very rare interview occasionally (which never results in a job offer) with no success has me starting to feel REALLY discouraged that maybe I won't be employable anywhere. I just wish someone could really convince me that if I move somewhere else, I can actually get a job that pays more than minimum wage. Other people around here are telling me that the recession has ruined the job markets everywhere so looking for greener pastures elsewhere would be a waste of time and money. I don't need to live high on the hog, but it really shouldn't be so unrealistic to think that a college graduate can make $25-30K a year to start. Long term unemployment - followed by a minimum wage job, which really isn't adequate for any adult - has really taken its toll on my self-confidence.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
I'm thinking I'm probably just going to have to make a break for it and move out of state, but I'm really scared. I graduated from college with my BA a year ago and still can't find a full-time job, so I'm working part-time for minimum wage. I can't even make my student loan payments yet. But a year of searching and sending out resumes and getting the very rare interview occasionally (which never results in a job offer) with no success has me starting to feel REALLY discouraged that maybe I won't be employable anywhere. I just wish someone could really convince me that if I move somewhere else, I can actually get a job that pays more than minimum wage. Other people around here are telling me that the recession has ruined the job markets everywhere so looking for greener pastures elsewhere would be a waste of time and money. I don't need to live high on the hog, but it really shouldn't be so unrealistic to think that a college graduate can make $25-30K a year to start. Long term unemployment - followed by a minimum wage job, which really isn't adequate for any adult - has really taken its toll on my self-confidence.
You have a BA in what?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM

293 posts, read 850,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
You have a BA in what?
Double major of sociology and technical writing. Sociology is obviously not marketable but the technical writing part is very much in demand elsewhere, but here in MI every place wants you to have 5+ years of tech writing experience, often in very specific industries, before they'll hire you. I do have 6 years of freelance writing experience, but it's not specifically *technical* writing so it doesn't seem to count. In bigger cities I could at least get a job in my field and start out as a temp to get that experience.

Last edited by wanderer74; 07-15-2008 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan