Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 06:12 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post
I lived in NYC (Manhattan) for 12 years and a few places before. I have never experienced such a BLEAK, miserable and depressing place in my life! My husband and I fight about living here nearly every day...it's awful. He promises me that when he retires from DTE we can move out of here...I cannot even envision that day 'cause it is soooooooo far off in the future and I will be kinda old by that time.
Is living in the Detroit area suburbs really that bad? Don't you enjoy the lower population density and the relatively fresher air and cleaner streets? Do you realize that you can purchase a large house in a decent neighborhood here for the price of a two bedroom condo in Manhattan? Don't you like being able to easily drive to several large local grocery stores and superstores instead of having to walk to a nearby grocery store where you're liable to get ripped off? Do you appreciate the better public schools in the Detroit area's upper middle class suburbs?

Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM

96 posts, read 314,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I can relate. Hubby and I bailed this past summer. NC was where we thought we would end up but he got a great job offer in South Bend, IN. I wasnt thrilled at first but when it comes down to survival I was ready for anything. We are pleasantly surprised we like it here. We live in a small charming town with friendly people. I find myself looking up news back home as well. I miss my friends and family and its bittersweet when I call home. Its never good news and everyone I know is on the brink. I actually feel a little guilty and have no idea why. We also had to rent out our house and I have had to make the trip back home 3 times since August. I get a renter, everything seems good and then a month or two later the people want to move out due to job loss etc. I dont bother giving them a hard time cuss what's the point? Im on my 3rd renter and he just called me 2 days before Christmas to let me know he is laid off. So I get start the process all over again. I just wish the people wouldnt leave the house so dirty. I no longer have an emotional attachment to the place. Each time I see it, its a little more torn up than before. I spent more money on newspaper ads and carpet cleaners than anything else. I wish I could sell it but at this point, Im about 30k in the hole and it just keeps getting deeper.
I haven't checked in on this post for a few days and for some reason, I'm not getting email messages when there are replies

I can relate to what many of you have said about living in this area, both the good and the bad. There's a discussion going on presently on the Tucson AZ boards about retiring there, including some of the good points about living in Michigan.

What fallingwater is experiencing is sooooooooo common in this area...I think the "apathy" and general malaise that people have here is what is getting to me the most. No one is happy, very few people like it here, people just lament about the Big 3-with no viable solutions for change. The politicians are about as worthless (and corrupt) as I've ever seen...people seem to have no pride...no one wants to be here...everyone bashes the area...it's depressing.

Another post on the general Michigan board is quite lengthy and refers to the "White Flight" and "White versus Black" issues in this area. I could go on and on but if you read that thread, you'll gain additional insights into why the adjustment here has been so difficult for me. I just find it hard to relate. I've never experienced such racial divide in my life.

But as we're discussing on the AZ boards, I'm grateful for my home, my husband, our health and the fact that he came to Michigan for WORK. Having stable work is a GREAT blessing these days for so many of us.

Thanks again for all who replied.

Oh...to the last poster (sorry I forgot your name), I do not have children, so the school districts here are not a factor...but the school systems in this area are not that good either (say, minus Ann Arbor)..

Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM

10 posts, read 35,165 times
I guess I am fortunate ... I still have a job in Michigan, but I am looking to move out. Problem is, my kids are 15, 14 & 7. A move would be hard on them, but in the long run, I think it would be better for them to be able to find part-time work like I did in my teens.

I have a job interview in Indiana, and I am hoping that it comes through. I have been looking in Kentucky and Indiana mainly, but I am not too anxious to move to the far south like Texas or Arizona. Those states have too many problems with water rights and republicans! ;-)

Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post
I haven't checked in on this post for a few days and for some reason, I'm not getting email messages when there are replies

I can relate to what many of you have said about living in this area, both the good and the bad. There's a discussion going on presently on the Tucson AZ boards about retiring there, including some of the good points about living in Michigan.

What fallingwater is experiencing is sooooooooo common in this area...I think the "apathy" and general malaise that people have here is what is getting to me the most. No one is happy, very few people like it here, people just lament about the Big 3-with no viable solutions for change. The politicians are about as worthless (and corrupt) as I've ever seen...people seem to have no pride...no one wants to be here...everyone bashes the area...it's depressing.

Another post on the general Michigan board is quite lengthy and refers to the "White Flight" and "White versus Black" issues in this area. I could go on and on but if you read that thread, you'll gain additional insights into why the adjustment here has been so difficult for me. I just find it hard to relate. I've never experienced such racial divide in my life.

But as we're discussing on the AZ boards, I'm grateful for my home, my husband, our health and the fact that he came to Michigan for WORK. Having stable work is a GREAT blessing these days for so many of us.

Thanks again for all who replied.

Oh...to the last poster (sorry I forgot your name), I do not have children, so the school districts here are not a factor...but the school systems in this area are not that good either (say, minus Ann Arbor)..
I can imagine the relocation from NYC to Michigan was a tough transition. Sure NYC is cramped and overpriced but you cant beat the culture, the arts and everything a large city like NYC has to offer. I am a city slicker at heart and its been a little tough on me moving myself. I didnt think Detroit had much culture compared other cities but now that I am in South Bend, I truly miss what art scene Detroit has. Now that we are house hunting down here, Im shocked at what a time warp these people still live in. I never seen so much 70's and 80's decor in my life! Dont even get me started on floral wallpaper.

I have hopes Detroit turns around. It could be a wonderful city. With so much diversity the arts could be amazing but instead of people embracing the diversity, there seems to be a high intolerance of others.

Although we like the little town we live in, its very sleepy and no one here knows how to make a pizza! Hubby and I cant believe how bad the food is here. I miss having a coney, deep dish pizza and some real mexican food. When I starve for some culture I hop on the south shore train and take it into Chicago to get my fix. I miss home but I dont miss the despair. I dont think we will ever move back now. My husband is settled in his job and it looks like I will have to go back to college since my graphic design degree seems worthless here. But we had to leave and I hope that Michigan turns around so if we ever want to come back, there will be something to go back too.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDW View Post
I guess I am fortunate ... I still have a job in Michigan, but I am looking to move out. Problem is, my kids are 15, 14 & 7. A move would be hard on them, but in the long run, I think it would be better for them to be able to find part-time work like I did in my teens.

I have a job interview in Indiana, and I am hoping that it comes through. I have been looking in Kentucky and Indiana mainly, but I am not too anxious to move to the far south like Texas or Arizona. Those states have too many problems with water rights and republicans! ;-)
Where abouts are you interviewing in Indiana? We made the move this past summer. My husband got a job in South Bend. We also didnt like the idea of Texas and Arizona. We have family in both states so we have visited before and nothing in either place appealed to us. If I had to chose I guess it would Arizona over Texas. A friend of mine moved to Alabama but I dont think my liberal ways would let me fit in down there.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM

65 posts, read 200,617 times
Default Leaving MI

Im a young engineer leaving MI to get out of automotive. Took a job in SC. I hope to return in the future to retire.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
I left about a year and a half ago, the rest of family just got out. All in Florida now.

Left because I did not see great career prospects in any field I was interested in, did not like the attitudes of the state universities during the visitations (though CMU was nice. But MSU, WMU and Oakland ruined it), was tired of driving on crap roads and of course the weather. Lack of things to do in metro detroit was another reason I left.

I've been in the Sunshine State for a while now, and the weather is much better, the roads are much better, the universities are generally better (except reputation), and there are a lot more options for things to do. However, the economy here is in just as much of a mess as it is in Michigan, though in different way. But at least I can sit around and wait for the turnaround on a beach instead of throiwng wood into the fireplace.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,478 times
We left last Summer to North Carolina. Don't like that we moved and miss Michigan soo much. We had no choice my husband got a job here. I think many people this year will need to come to terms with looking outside the state for work. We have children here with us 16,6,6,2 and it was hard on them still is. It is hard oin me I have 3 kids still in Michigan older on their own. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do like it or not.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
We left last Summer to North Carolina. Don't like that we moved and miss Michigan soo much. We had no choice my husband got a job here. I think many people this year will need to come to terms with looking outside the state for work. We have children here with us 16,6,6,2 and it was hard on them still is. It is hard oin me I have 3 kids still in Michigan older on their own. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do like it or not.
That is a lot of kids!!!!! I have noticed in stores many pregnant women and small babies. That is not cheap.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,478 times
3 are adopted but they still cost money but glady I didn't have to give birth 4 of that was enough. I should say before you move check out the state your going to. Here rent is high and I think food is high. Education and kids changing schools each state has different ideas and laws. I'm sad that I don't live in Michigan but happy that we have a income and can get by. We were soo scared but if you have to do it and as we hope everyday we at some point can move back home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan