Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 05:30 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times

Advertisements

Yet Michigan is the only state doing these idiotic things. Not even California has had the audacity to try to tell stores what in their inventory they can sell and what they cannot. You either allow a business to open or you don't -- consumers will determine what is essential and what is not. The problem with even doing it at a business level though is government isn't even-handed. The same rules should apply to all businesses but every liberal state has deemed marijuana and liquor stores essential but gun stores and churches not even though these last two have specific Constitutional protection. On the medical side, abortion centers are deemed essential but joint replacements, heart surgery, and even dental care are not.

Whitmer largely listened to her donors in determining what was "essential" and what was not. You're willfully blind if you can't see that. Government shouldn't be in the role of determining things like this in the first place. Keep in mind on election day what party is trying to control every aspect of your life and ask yourself if you want more of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I assume you are referring to things Whitmer never specified ... but which others extrapolated out of general guidelines. For example: garden nurseries are called non-essential at this time - but I just saw a headline (FOX news story) that snarked about how ridiculous it is that buying “tomato seeds” is restricted. Um, Whitmer never specified “tomato seeds” as a non-essential disallowance. She issued a broad-based directive aimed at postponing peoples’ milling around in garden stores. You can buy tomato seeds on-line, ya know?

Child car seats was another. Megan McCain tweeted a snark about Whitmer banning sales of child car seats, with a picture of a sign in a WalMart car seat aisle saying no sales allowed due to being non-essential. After a bit of public dust-up, WalMart corporate issued a clarification that they had never received such an order from Whitmer, nor instructed their stores to limit sales. The explanation was that individual store managers took discretionary initiative to classify “essential” and “non-essential” items and post signage accordingly.

The notion that Whitmer took time to analyze and create directives on about a bazillion individual items and functions in order to “control peoples’ lives” is pretty ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 05:45 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Can't get a colonoscopy, but an abortion is fine. I'm not gonna get into the political discussion of women's rights and the different ideologies from party conflicts to religious beliefs but...…..c'mon folks. This screams AGENDA.

Look, it may not be. Maybe it's some kind of weird oversight. Maybe there are some darn good reasons. But man, it sure LOOKS that way.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:00 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Yet Michigan is the only state doing these idiotic things. Not even California has had the audacity to try to tell stores what in their inventory they can sell and what they cannot. You either allow a business to open or you don't -- consumers will determine what is essential and what is not. The problem with even doing it at a business level though is government isn't even-handed. The same rules should apply to all businesses but every liberal state has deemed marijuana and liquor stores essential but gun stores and churches not even though these last two have specific Constitutional protection. On the medical side, abortion centers are deemed essential but joint replacements, heart surgery, and even dental care are not.

Whitmer largely listened to her donors in determining what was "essential" and what was not. You're willfully blind if you can't see that. Government shouldn't be in the role of determining things like this in the first place. Keep in mind on election day what party is trying to control every aspect of your life and ask yourself if you want more of that.
Except, she didn’t tell stores what in their inventory they can and cannot sell. I just gave examples of that nonsense in post # 149 ... here’s a link ... go back and read https://www.city-data.com/forum/57880554-post149.html ... pure nonsense.

Whitmer generalized “essential / non-essential” ... just as other governors of hot spot states have. Michigan is NOT “the only state doing these things”. I’m writing this from Washington State where Governor Jay Inslee has decreed exactly the same. I’m here because this is where I spend most summers. I came north early this year from California because where I live in California was shutting down so hard a month ago I figured I’d enjoy my ‘distancing’ lifestyle better on my boat in the San Juan Islands. And the restrictions in California are just as far reaching. I am retired military and was denied access to the bases in San Diego where I moor my boat - because retirees are not allowed on the San Diego bases until the state lifts its shut down status.

I was born and raised in Minnesota and Michigan. Haven’t been back in a long time. But was curious when posters in the California forum started bad mouthing Whitmer. So I got to reading on the issues and then called my cousins in Detroit and chatted the topic up. They’re clearly not living with any greater restrictions than I was in California and now Washington.

Too funny that you are raving about government controls ... when your hero just declares himself all powerful. Lmao.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:22 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times
I'm in California but all of my family is in Michigan. There are a lot of businesses closed here but my travel is unrestricted; the goods that I buy are unrestricted. It still sucks here because so many businesses are closed due to the nanny-state governor here. Also, some businesses like Walmart & Vons have taken it upon themselves to place mask restrictions on all of their customers. Walmart lied and said that it was now a local ordinance but it appears that they just want to standardize the overly restrictive rules that were imposed upon them in LA since alternative stores aren't doing the same thing. I boycott both of them now. The craziness seems to diminish though the further you get from the seats of power.

In Michigan, it's illegal for my extended family to visit each other or help each other when they live right next to each other. If what you want to buy is not on the Governor's "essential" list, then you cannot buy it. My nephews technically can't see their mother now since there's a shared custody arrangement and they're currently with their father. They're all out of work now except my brother who manages a grocery store since that's still essential. Those other jobs are most likely not coming back. The Cherry festival in Traverse City was just cancelled and that's months away. The tourist industry in northern Michigan is going to be devastated this year and you can expect all of those small businesses to die. Michigan's economy is pretty fragile and always has been and Whitmer's shuttering of all "nonessential" businesses is absolutely going to put it in ruins.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:13 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
It's totally baloney that in Michigan you can get an abortion but you can't get needed heart surgery. Heart surgery has not stopped when needed, elective surgeries have, and I doubt many people are asking for elective heart surgery.
Abortions are obviously a time sensitive based choice. Pro-life zealots should at least understand that carrying the fetus longer serves no purpose but to make the procedure more difficult for everybody. I really really hate it when people get involved in other's private business.
As for gun sales, apparently there was far too much congregating at the gun shops. The restriction went into effect with the second set of restrictions because of this. Same reason that garden nurseries were shut down. Even though some may blame Whitmer for closing gun shops because she's a democrat, I highly doubt she is biased against plants, so the argument holds no water. Both shops were closed for the exact same reason.
In Michigan all court ordered shared custody and visitation must be observed as usual. There are no parental rights disturbed.
Michigan's restrictions are working, yay! First two days in a long time that we have fallen to under 800 new cases. 800 is a huge number, but we were up to 1400 on some days. Finally things are going in the right direction. We fell to 5th in the nation in the number of cases, yay again! Not wishing ill on the two states now ahead of us, but with a lesser population of only 10 million it sure feels better to not be holding one of the top spots. Now if we can just keep the "don't want to be grounded and sent to my room" 3rd grade mentality people to stay at home, we might even get those restrictions reduced somewhat. Please don't mess it up so that restrictions have to be extended, the warm weather is coming and here in Michigan we greatly look forward to it.
I loved watching ABC Global Citizen music that is going on these days. Doctors, nurses, police, in between songs, asking people to please stay home. Don't stress out or put in danger the lives of our first responders!

Old 04-18-2020, 10:29 PM

185 posts, read 97,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Can't get a colonoscopy, but an abortion is fine. I'm not gonna get into the political discussion of women's rights and the different ideologies from party conflicts to religious beliefs but...…..c'mon folks. This screams AGENDA.

Look, it may not be. Maybe it's some kind of weird oversight. Maybe there are some darn good reasons. But man, it sure LOOKS that way.

At this point, I can't even say it "looks" that way. I've given it the benefit of a doubt for a little while. I reserved my judgement and just let things played out. Now with everything that has been going on, I'm going to say it "IS" that way. Definitely a huge power grab from the government(s).

Old 04-19-2020, 08:54 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
It's totally baloney that in Michigan you can get an abortion but you can't get needed heart surgery. Heart surgery has not stopped when needed, elective surgeries have, and I doubt many people are asking for elective heart surgery.
Abortions are obviously a time sensitive based choice. Pro-life zealots should at least understand that carrying the fetus longer serves no purpose but to make the procedure more difficult for everybody. I really really hate it when people get involved in other's private business.
As for gun sales, apparently there was far too much congregating at the gun shops. The restriction went into effect with the second set of restrictions because of this. Same reason that garden nurseries were shut down.
And sandwiched in between your message:

"I really really hate it when people get involved in other's private business."

Further, elective surgeries, by definition, are not always unnecessary.

Stents are considered elective, and Caesarian sections as well. Throw in cataracts, knee replacements, mole removal, etc.

We tend to think it's all about nose jobs and breast implants.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:57 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari_Warrior_Danju View Post
At this point, I can't even say it "looks" that way. I've given it the benefit of a doubt for a little while. I reserved my judgement and just let things played out. Now with everything that has been going on, I'm going to say it "IS" that way. Definitely a huge power grab from the government(s).
Of course. Lets look at gun shops. I reckon they can practice social distancing indoors very easily. Cleaning counters isn't that difficult or time consuming either.

I'm totally fine with REASONABLE restrictions.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:02 AM
YAZ

Many folks' yards are looking quite ratty with the ban on lawn mowing. Yard work is a big no-no in Michigan.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:06 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times
A cesarean section is most often not not by choice; very often an emergency procedure.

As for stents, they are often part of an emergency procedure.
I've studied and assisted with these procedures.

Most lawns look great! It's only April 19. Everything is green and beautiful, and many flowers are blooming.
And we can do yard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan