Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 01:33 PM

495 posts, read 326,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Many folks' yards are looking quite ratty with the ban on lawn mowing. Yard work is a big no-no in Michigan.
The grass has barely started growing, if at all. There is no need to mow it yet, though we could if we wanted to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 01:42 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
Anybody who wants to can mow your lawn, although mid April with snow just two days ago there is no need for it. But hey, get outside, exercise your rights to your freedom and mow away!
What you currently may not do is hire somebody else to mow your lawn because of...because of...wait for it......
to not spread the virus!
At some point mowing will resume as necessary, probably May 1 things like that will be unrestricted, except distancing needed between workers and homeowners, something along those lines.
This is petty I believe, arguing about this stuff. Saving lives is paramount.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:26 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
I hang out on other forums with people scattered throughout the country(and world). Her shutdown started out much more lenient than other states. (And people still ignored the lenient rules!) However, our state case and death count had gotten horribly out of hand. #3 in the country, while I think someone here mentioned Michigan is 27th in population. She needed to do something to improve the situation, and it was working. (And now the idiots that were protesting in Lansing are probably going to set us back yet again.)

There are other states out there with even more strict shutdowns, yet much lower case/death count. My husband heard on the radio or somewhere how a couple in California, even though they were abiding by the social distancing requirement, got $1000 ticket for sitting on a beach to watch the sunset. As far as I know, we are still allowed to hang out at the beach. I've seen plenty of folks on FB with pics there as recently as Easter.
LOL, we are not 27th in population. We are 10th depending on what year it is.

But yes, you can still go to most parks and beaches here in Michigan. Ottawa County did shut down a few parks because they were having trouble controlling crowds and the parking lots were small. Sleeping Bear Dunes has been closed since a few days ago. But they were getting overrun with visitors.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:39 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Many folks' yards are looking quite ratty with the ban on lawn mowing. Yard work is a big no-no in Michigan.
I'm starting to not be able to tell what is sarcasm and what is not. You can mow your lawn. You can also pay someone to mow your lawn if they live in the same household (your kid for instance). Actually, if you paid the neighbor kid to mow your lawn, I don't think you'd get busted for it, as long as they stayed outside.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:18 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Estimated flu deaths in USA by CDC this year: 29K-59K
2018-2019: 34K
2017-2018: 61K (bad flu year)

Estimated projected deaths by the China Virus in this country is now 60K. Therefore the conclusion is that this is no more lethal than a bad flu is validated unless you doubt the current modeling of 60K and the models have overstated so far. It's went from 2200K to 240K to 100K to 80K to now 60K as the data has come in.
Flu deaths are actually a range, with a low and high. It is also based off of models, using current and historic data.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:23 PM

495 posts, read 326,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
LOL, we are not 27th in population. We are 10th depending on what year it is.

But yes, you can still go to most parks and beaches here in Michigan. Ottawa County did shut down a few parks because they were having trouble controlling crowds and the parking lots were small. Sleeping Bear Dunes has been closed since a few days ago. But they were getting overrun with visitors.
Are we really? I obviously didn't look it up--just knew we had lower population than several other states with fewer cases. If we are 10th in population, I would expect to be 10th in # of cases, all else being equal.

It does look like California is overtaking us in # of cases now. We are moving down the list, which is a good thing.

I did read about Sleeping Bear being closed. Did not know about Ottawa County closing any, but I have others closer to me anyhow. My cousins in Grand Haven seem able to get out to some, by their FB posts.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:19 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
The grass has barely started growing, if at all. There is no need to mow it yet, though we could if we wanted to!
I don't know what part of the state you're in, but where we live (extreme southeast corner) the grass certainly needs cut, I just did ours a few days ago, the day before it snowed. Yards that haven't been cut yet are definitely looking pretty ratty.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:49 PM

864 posts, read 1,719,920 times
It's not baloney at all. You like playing word games though. You keep saying when needed. There are many heart surgeries that are considered elective because you're not going to die by delaying it but it's still totally needed. Need a heart valve replacement, that's considered elective.

The nurseries in Michigan don't have the lobbying power or the tax revenues that the marijuana industry does. That makes this a political decision because our governor does like the pot industry. I suspect she's uses the product too based on some of her decisions.

Pro-life zealots are just that -- they don't like seeing unborn children murdered. Nobody should be in favor of that but one political party has that as a core plank in their platform.

And in case you missed it, the Santa Clara study indicates that our confirmed number of people who have gotten the Wuhan virus are way off -- up to 50-85x off which makes the lethality figures off by that same amount too.
https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...nta-clara.html
This has been the assumption by many (including me) who are following this virus at all. It's way more infectious and much less lethal than all of the models have predicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
It's totally baloney that in Michigan you can get an abortion but you can't get needed heart surgery. Heart surgery has not stopped when needed, elective surgeries have, and I doubt many people are asking for elective heart surgery.
Abortions are obviously a time sensitive based choice. Pro-life zealots should at least understand that carrying the fetus longer serves no purpose but to make the procedure more difficult for everybody. I really really hate it when people get involved in other's private business.
As for gun sales, apparently there was far too much congregating at the gun shops. The restriction went into effect with the second set of restrictions because of this. Same reason that garden nurseries were shut down. Even though some may blame Whitmer for closing gun shops because she's a democrat, I highly doubt she is biased against plants, so the argument holds no water. Both shops were closed for the exact same reason.
In Michigan all court ordered shared custody and visitation must be observed as usual. There are no parental rights disturbed.
Michigan's restrictions are working, yay! First two days in a long time that we have fallen to under 800 new cases. 800 is a huge number, but we were up to 1400 on some days. Finally things are going in the right direction. We fell to 5th in the nation in the number of cases, yay again! Not wishing ill on the two states now ahead of us, but with a lesser population of only 10 million it sure feels better to not be holding one of the top spots. Now if we can just keep the "don't want to be grounded and sent to my room" 3rd grade mentality people to stay at home, we might even get those restrictions reduced somewhat. Please don't mess it up so that restrictions have to be extended, the warm weather is coming and here in Michigan we greatly look forward to it.
I loved watching ABC Global Citizen music that is going on these days. Doctors, nurses, police, in between songs, asking people to please stay home. Don't stress out or put in danger the lives of our first responders!

Old 04-19-2020, 08:03 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
And in case you missed it, the Santa Clara study indicates that our confirmed number of people who have gotten the Wuhan virus are way off -- up to 50-85x off which makes the lethality figures off by that same amount too.
https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...nta-clara.html
This has been the assumption by many (including me) who are following this virus at all. It's way more infectious and much less lethal than all of the models have predicted.
This was clear from the data from Italy before any lock downs were instituted in the US. Either the infection rate was orders of magnitude larger than believed (and the death rate orders of magnitude lower), or for some reason younger people were getting infected at a rate orders of magnitude lower than older people. The former seems more likely, and the Stanford (Santa Clara) study agrees with that.

Here's a (small) study by Mass General Hospital that shows the actual infection rate is likely much larger than believed:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/...e-coronavirus/

Old 04-19-2020, 08:45 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
I don't really care for all opinions here, and they are just opinions, and so some I will smartly ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan