Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 AM

809 posts, read 1,951,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post
I just enjoy "being here". The clean air, friendly people, people who care about their neighbors, many natural resources like lakes and forests, hardly any crime, close the UP and Ontario. Basically small town life as I imagine it was 50 years ago in the Detroit area.

I used to live in the Detroit Metro area and decided there is no better place to live in Michigan than Up North. It takes time to establish a life here but it was worth it to me. The big cities and a lot of people drive me crazy.
"Hello" from another Boyne City Rambler fan!

What do we do up north. Hmmmmm. Anything you do in the city you can with much more fun and less stress here. We even have a mall in Traverse City.

Like others said, summer time it is your choice. If you get bored in the summer you must be an eskimo. Winter? Try to get out and enjoy the season. Snowmobiling, skiing at the many resorts, cross country skiing, hunting, ice fishing and my favorite is walking in the swamps and woods when you can see further and the critters leave their tracks for your personal entertainment. Dont like the cold? Enjoy a wood stove, fireplace or pellet stove. Cuddle up with a cup of coffee a good book or movie.

How about supporting your local school sports programs that are very active in the winter. There is plenty to do and soon enough it will be April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 AM

809 posts, read 1,951,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
What do i do in northern Michigan? Look for opportunities to leave. When I was in high school I did some off roading to a party spot in the woods to drink and smoke pot since there was nothing for teenagers to do in town. I also used to go boating in Houghton Lake and debate whether I should take a swim after seeing condoms, beer cans, and a guy pissing in the lake.
You need to move to Idaho or Wyoming.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:57 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Whats there to do in Northern Michigan?? Omg! There is not enough room on here to list everything! Scolls obviously hates to be away from the masses and does not appreciate anything about the north. Of course there are a number of people who cant stand being away from the crowds, and northern Michigan is not for you...there is certainly nothing wrong with that. But for people that enjoy the quieter life, and any outdoor activity...there is an endless amount of things to do any time of the year. And for or gods sake.... there is a ton of things to do in winter! Dont be a complainer...get out and enjoy!!

Last edited by michmoldman; 01-08-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 PM

199 posts, read 543,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
ps-is ockyack supposed to be ocqueoc? which has the largest waterfall in the LP which is awesome for swimming!
I tried to find that waterfall and the only one I found was about 3 ft high. Isn't that waterfall supposed to be 6ft?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 PM

199 posts, read 543,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Whats there to do in Northern Michigan?? Omg! There is not enough room on here to list everything! Scolls obviously hates to be away from the masses and does not appreciate anything about the north. Of course there are a number of people who cant stand being away from the crowds, and northern Michigan is not for you...there is certainly nothing wrong with that. But for people that enjoy the quieter life, and any outdoor activity...there is an endless amount of things to do any time of the year. And for or gods sake.... there is a ton of things to do in winter! Dont be a complainer...get out and enjoy!!
Some people can't take being alone. While living in GR, I would go to the off-leash dog beach in Muskegon and sit my towel down with 200 ft. of open sand on either side of me. I still had two families put their towels down 10 ft. from me on both sides. I got up and moved another 100 ft. down. My dogs get sand on everything so I really don't see why they would sit next to dogs that were totally going to get their towels wet and sandy within 5 minutes. I could understand if it was a hot day with lots of people but it wasn't. There was plenty of open beach.

I hope they still allow dogs there because it was an awesome place.

EDIT: Norman F. Kruse is the name of the park and they still allow dogs.

Last edited by Specialbuddy; 01-08-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
Some people can't take being alone. While living in GR, I would go to the off-leash dog beach in Muskegon and sit my towel down with 200 ft. of open sand on either side of me. I still had two families put their towels down 10 ft. from me on both sides. I got up and moved another 100 ft. down. My dogs get sand on everything so I really don't see why they would sit next to dogs that were totally going to get their towels wet and sandy within 5 minutes. I could understand if it was a hot day with lots of people but it wasn't. There was plenty of open beach.

I hope they still allow dogs there because it was an awesome place.

EDIT: Norman F. Kruse is the name of the park and they still allow dogs.
I know what you mean. I took my kids out to one of favorite spots North of Ludington last summer and didn't have a soul within a mile on either side of us. Along comes a couple and they plopped down about 15 feet away from our stuff. I sat there in awe of how numb that was, when a family with 5 kids comes down and parks about 20 feet on the other side, then lets their kids run all over the place, including across our towels and jumping our cooler. I yelled for my kids to pack-up we are going where there is at least people with common sense. Got up to the vehicles and lo-and-behold. One car from Indiana, and the other from Illinois. Guess they are so used to being packed in with other people, it feels unnatural to have open space around them.

Moved up the beach to a bit better spot actually, but you have to walk a little further to get there. Didn't have another person even in sight the rest of the day.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 13,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
I tried to find that waterfall and the only one I found was about 3 ft high. Isn't that waterfall supposed to be 6ft?
No it is a little rougher up stream and in the spring it can be amazing. We live within 5 minutes of Ocqueoc Falls. It might not be impressive for some but it is a beautiful area for sure!

The walk/hike is a beautiful area as well. I see there are people in the track team that jog it in the summer as well.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 13,365 times
Growing up in Northern Michigan I agree with a couple of posts. There isn't all that much to do as a teen.
A few Movie Theater's, Bowling alleys, putt putt golf.
As a teen yes it is mostly partying in the woods, camping with friends.
If you enjoy freezing your butt off and have a job that you can have weekends free.
You can do the whole, snow mobiling, fishing, camping, skiing, sledding, water skiing, four wheeling, swimming, hiking and all that other out door stuff.
If you aren't into the out doors you are into shopping and such...well you better move away or don't move up this way.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM

550 posts, read 2,053,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMandyxX View Post
No it is a little rougher up stream and in the spring it can be amazing. We live within 5 minutes of Ocqueoc Falls. It might not be impressive for some but it is a beautiful area for sure!

The walk/hike is a beautiful area as well. I see there are people in the track team that jog it in the summer as well.

It is beautiful and swimming in it is awesome...kind of like a hidden gem.....

there are two parts to the falls...and you may think it is only 3ft...but it is cascading so the total height is probably 6ft......

Anyone catch the Soo Locks on Dirty Jobs tonight????

Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 AM

485 posts, read 966,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMandyxX View Post
Growing up in Northern Michigan I agree with a couple of posts. There isn't all that much to do as a teen.
A few Movie Theater's, Bowling alleys, putt putt golf.
As a teen yes it is mostly partying in the woods, camping with friends.
If you enjoy freezing your butt off and have a job that you can have weekends free.
You can do the whole, snow mobiling, fishing, camping, skiing, sledding, water skiing, four wheeling, swimming, hiking and all that other out door stuff.
If you aren't into the out doors you are into shopping and such...well you better move away or don't move up this way.
I can relate. The partying in the woods part was great. I'm not sure where teens around the cities go but "getting into nature" was great and private enough to enjoy. Now that I'm in my late 40's and haven't snow-mobiled since my teens, I find it one of my goals to own a couple and do it again in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan