Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
People in the US who fear socialized medicine should look at the VA model, because that is what it is basically. Seems to be working okay. Room for improvement, of course, nut seems to be doing a good job.
I prefer the VA, I only wish I could enroll my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I am a disabled vet and only use the VA because I do not have health insurance. My primary care dr. will not see me other than to run tests and give me the results. If I am insist that I need to see her, the nurse advises me to go to the emergency room for treatment. I did have one primary dr. who would see me, but she was reassigned. Wonder why?
Is that at a Medical Center or a Clinic?
I've found that many clinics are being starved for funding by their parent Medical centers

Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,244 times
That is the med center. As to why, the nurse tells me that my primary care dr. does not need to see me, that if I want to see a Dr, I can go to the emergency room. I don't like to go to the emergency room because of the wait time, and that the emergency room personell are not familiar with my med. history. If I need to see her, I just have to call my congressman, then somehow she can manage to see me.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Many veterans do not utilize VA healthcare, even though there are specialized programs for veterans, with services not covered by insurance.

Just interested, if you are a veteran do you utilize services at the VA?
If you do not, why?
I maintain my VA healthcare status so that if I become a babbling idiot in my old age my husband can drop me off at the hospital and let them deal with me. In order to maintain my status I have to endure an annual "visit".

I do not use their facility for health care because I have no need for doctors. I do not participate in their pleas for "lab work" to be done and I really do not appreciate their endless, intrusive questions such as... "When did you have your last mammogram, pap test, etc?" I don't think it is any of their business how much I drink or whether I have had suicidal thoughts or not.

Two years ago, I was in such exquisite pain that I actually broke down and saw one of the doctors there with much disappointment. All they wanted to do was to prescribe me pain killers, muscle relaxants and sleeping pills instead of trying to figure out what the problem was. They offered to give me a steroid shot, which I declined, which they said "might or might not" help. Honestly, they were so inept and incompetent I very nearly laughed out loud when I received a call a few days later asking me if I was "happy" with the service I received. Yeah, right. Whatever.

I have known people who patronize the clinic and in each and every case their health deteriorates dramatically once they begin to go on a regular basis. They usually end up getting endless drugs which cause horrible side effects which must be countered with even more drugs. It's horrible to see.

I also went to the "diet clinic" to see what they could offer me and again, they fell short of my expectations when they handed me a third generation photocopy of a diet that did not address my needs. It was a complete waste of time.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
That is the med center. As to why, the nurse tells me that my primary care dr. does not need to see me, that if I want to see a Dr, I can go to the emergency room. I don't like to go to the emergency room because of the wait time, and that the emergency room personell are not familiar with my med. history. If I need to see her, I just have to call my congressman, then somehow she can manage to see me.
You don't have to call Congress. That's why every VMAC has a patient advocate.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do not use their facility for health care because I have no need for doctors. I do not participate in their pleas for "lab work" to be done and I really do not appreciate their endless, intrusive questions such as... "When did you have your last mammogram, pap test, etc?" I don't think it is any of their business how much I drink or whether I have had suicidal thoughts or not.
Man I hope you're kidding. These are precisely the kinds of questions and concerns that need to be addressed during routine check-ups. One can only hope most other VA doctors are as "intrusive" with their patients as yours is.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Take her advice and go to your Congressperson. Tell them who sent you

Old 01-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You don't have to call Congress. That's why every VMAC has a patient advocate.
Patient Advocates are just employees who are paid to keep you from going to your congressperson

Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Man I hope you're kidding. These are precisely the kinds of questions and concerns that need to be addressed during routine check-ups. One can only hope most other VA doctors are as "intrusive" with their patients as yours is.
Yes, I thought every doctor asked about your last PAP and mammogram. Since when is that intrusive? Unless it's been awhile and you don't want to say? How is giving information about your medical history a waste of time?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Patient Advocates are just employees who are paid to keep you from going to your congressperson
Maybe so, but when I sit down with my patient rep, things happen right then.

I guess you COULD go through Congress if you're in no hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues