Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 04:03 AM

6,482 posts, read 9,863,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
As someone who has taken an Abrams to static display, could you please explain those many reasons?
I'm sure thats the first time many people saw a real tank in person. I have no problems with the celebration that was done. good for america no matter who the sitting president is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 06:48 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,122,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Completely indifferent. The military has been spending countless millions on traveling air shows all over the country, every year, for decades. No one bats and eye. The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds are multi million dollars a YEAR programs that exist SOLELY for shows like this, and have no combat missions, ever. Why is everyone so upset about this one show, and not the others that far eclipse the cost of this one? Oh, because it has Trump's name attached.

Who cares... this is normal operating procedure for the military...
Well, it had a much better reason than the XB-70 #2 formation!

When I was in, I would have, probably for that was the late Cold War, shrugged with an "Eh!" because my basic philosophy it was the job I signed on for, that even when things weren't rosey, I would still do it willingly. As it is, I have been on duty (assigned or not for as a "Provost Marshal", I saw my place as there) when the Blue Angels flew. Didn't see them, certainly heard them, and then......was on the phone with someone who was complaining they were flying too low. I have been on duty during a CONDOR visit. It's the job.

Having studied more military history after the service, I see this as part of the Napoleon theory of drumming up support for the military (and in Napoleon theory, then for wars). Support for the military is better than negative support for the military but I'm not sure if something like this grants the support that is needed. It is probably great for recruitment but does it grant the public support to see that the military does not fight needless wars? I would believe not for that kind of insight usually only comes when one has been in or has kin in that battle.

Finally, certain things in this posting are said in a way for quick understanding or not to attract immediate attention of automatic sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
But....don’t you think Thunderbirds and Blue Angels help recruiting? Kid sees crew in sharp uniforms and it appeals to him/her, not realizing if THEY enlist they’re gonna be wearing non-tailored fatigues.
HA! This reminds me of my father who always said, if you want to shoot a rifle like that (the AR-15), join the Army! (he would probably disown me now from beyond the grave if he knew what was in the vault). But how many in the Army get to carry a rifle?

Military creases. When I was in NROTC, to be able to wear those was a priv one earned. It was what was used, by the upperclass, to strive one in being proud, to be better and better.

The problem was for me was that my wiring didn't respond to that. To be, having pride was a hard wired concept of often doing things, like the first two ranks in a running formation carrying sabers, that were rather stupid.....but it looked good. So I saw no purpose of military creases and more so, probably rebelled against such.

Fast forward a few years when my senior chief pulled me aside and told me I needed to have them, for the troops expect an officer to look like an officer.

I suppose if someone had told me that reason in the years before, I might have done it always.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-06-2019 at 07:07 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 08:26 AM

7,499 posts, read 6,300,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I watched it and thought it was a nice tribute to the military, but was really wondering what the folks in the military or military vets felt about it.

Not sure if it is okay to ask this on this forum, but figured there are more military on here. Sorry if this isn't a correct place to ask this question.
As a Vet, I enjoyed it. I think I am one of the few Veterans to say I enjoyed marching in a parade and I did a few.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:27 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,897,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I watched it and thought it was a nice tribute to the military, but was really wondering what the folks in the military or military vets felt about it.
I am retired U.S. Army.

I watched the Presidents entire 58 minute recorded video/speech at my leisure. I ignored all of the 100+ Internet comments.

It was a great speech...

Old 07-06-2019, 08:43 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,494,733 times
I'm a vet and i have been studying warfare and the history thereof for the better part of my adult life.

First off it was totally lame. If you want to see a military parade look at Russia or Chinas, they know how to do it.

Second. All this military glorification crap needs to quit. Our warlike tendencies stifle human progress and the betterment of mankind. If you spend a million dolllars on a missle that simply destroys itself you just wasted a million dollars that could have been put to a different more constructive purpose.

If we wanted to we would O'Niel cylinders in orbit above our world. Cities in space filled with people. Maybe even a colony on Mars by now. We apparently have different and more low brow priorities though.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:42 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,415,113 times
OP. I'll say again that it was a great parade and I'll add a good speech by one of the best leaders this nation has seen in the last half century.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:48 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,088,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I think the negativity expressed here on this non-political forum is exclusively based upon a political hatred towards the current president. The video shows other presidents have had military parades. Though some were after successful wars, at least two weren’t. One was 1976 celebrating the 200 years of our nation. The other was for the inauguration of President JF Kennedy which includes missiles on the parade route in Washington DC. In general I’ve no problem with a sitting US President to occasionally use segments of the US military in parades for certain occasions and holidays. I would not have wanted to be a part of the parade but if I were still in I would go through with it if ordered to do so as it’s a lawful order.
Moderator cut: Too political

You're also comparing all but the two that were at the end of a war and supposed to be an appreciation for the military (not just the one guy at the top), the bicentennial, and the inauguration when the political climate that had recently "ended" the Korean war, and Vietnam was five years in. JFK was the first president to take office while it Vietnam was already underway. That was a little before my time, but I think that was also about making a point to the rest of the world. I think what trump did was too, but they were for entirely different reasons. (I'm going to stop there, trying to keep this out of the political forum vibe if I haven't already crossed over).

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am guessing you do not know what the term "countless" means, lol.
What kind of stupid jack-al comment are you trying to make? The post I was quoting was trying to imply that the blue angels have no accountability or consideration of the resources they use or why they use them. What point are you trying to make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
As someone who has taken an Abrams to static display, could you please explain those many reasons?
My answer has mostly to do with what it means to trump. Combined with the current political climate (specifically the foreign leaders he chooses to elevate, their own parades, and why they use them... ), and would definitely belong in the political section.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-14-2019 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 11:56 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,799,246 times
The July 4th parade in Philadelphia always has reservist participants. This year's included the Army and Marines. And new this year was the Air Force Band.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
<SNIP> Just how a good point doesn't need to be yelled to be heard loud, I think a more powerful statement would be everyone showing how simple they can make the fight. People like using the words: grit, perseverance, struggle, adversity, but lose their meaning when its a fleet of tanks against a family living in a tent. They can actually apply when its people fighting tanks with fireworks and butter knives, or attacking apaches with: balloons, drones, roman candles, and laser pointers.
<SNIP>

Unfortunately, the Apache were defending their homes against invaders, I think most of my sympathy is on their side. They're usually depicted as bows and arrows against guns, although I'm sure they got guns on their side as soon as possible.

I do wish there was as much attention on progress and peace as there is on warfare in this country. I'm not sure what percentage of the economy depends on sales of war materials or who benefits from it, but it would be really lovely if they could switch to making money from peace instead of war.

As for the 4th of July celebration, I think Macy's had a much better presentation.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:56 PM

1,991 posts, read 905,767 times
Just another day in the reality show that America has become since 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues