Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 12:00 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,138,417 times

Advertisements

DH and I have always been centrists; leaning left in some matters and right in some matters. I am appalled to find that there is no longer a center in the US, it is quite impossible to hold a rational discussion these days and just prefer to not make any statements to people that I know (outside of my immediate family).

United States? I think not; there are not even united families anymore.

As for the celebration - as AD we would have despised being in it, but would have probably enjoyed being spectators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 06:35 PM

4,930 posts, read 2,721,105 times
shoulda been bigger..show the world a bit of what we got..I like big military parades..if we're gonna be big dog on the block, show it..

Old 07-07-2019, 10:56 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,120,872 times
The 4th of July is about the birth of our proud nation. It was the collective voice saying we are free and independent. When I think of Independence Day, I think of how the acts of ordinary people standing up for freedom and self governing. To make the day some marketing scam for the military and politics is disrespectful to the true meaning behind the ordinary people who acted on that day. They were not military, just people, plain old people. I would have had more respect for the events if instead of parading tanks and aircraft, we paraded all the various groups from all the various walks of life. Parade all the veterans on Veteran's Day. Parade all the tanks and guns on Armed Forces Day. Parade the politicians on Election Day. But on the Fourth of July, that's the day we should have been celebrating freedom for the ordinary people and have all the various groups representing all our freedoms marching down the street!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:20 AM

8,091 posts, read 10,126,803 times
From the perspective of a Disable American Veteran:

He had his parade. Since he saw a military parade in France has has wanted such an event. As an autocrat wannabe this was central to his theme: Show the world "what I've got".

I am of the mindest to just let it go. We are one day closer to the end of this National nightmare. This parade will fade, quickly, into the swamp of tragedies which have been created by this president. Many others have longer lasting damage to our Nation, and must be addressed with the change of leader. I am way more concerned about the environment, an energy policy, an imigration policy, a health care plan, an economic policy, the federal deficit, and the end of a permissive wink toward those who would destroy America by taking her back to an era of discrimination to anyone who is not white.

Parade is the least of our issues.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:26 AM

9,608 posts, read 9,913,977 times
Funny that there have been many recent Commanders in Chief that don't give a rats ass about the military. A couple of recent ones didn't have a problem sending our military into unnecessary wars or just plain detested the military.

At least Trump genuinely cares about the military. The July 4th celebration may have been a bit over the top from what we have been used to after Eisenhower, but overall the celebration got good reviews from those that attended and watched.

The young people growing up today have really no reason to respect our military. Their freedoms have never been in jeopardy (at least by a military conflict). There is very little coverage of the current wars and sacrifices that have been taking place since 2001. Patriotism among our younger generation is at an all time low. The President shining a light on the military on the most "patriotic" day of the year certainly is not a bad thing.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:43 AM

9,608 posts, read 9,913,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The 4th of July is about the birth of our proud nation. It was the collective voice saying we are free and independent. When I think of Independence Day, I think of how the acts of ordinary people standing up for freedom and self governing. To make the day some marketing scam for the military and politics is disrespectful to the true meaning behind the ordinary people who acted on that day. They were not military, just people, plain old people. I would have had more respect for the events if instead of parading tanks and aircraft, we paraded all the various groups from all the various walks of life. Parade all the veterans on Veteran's Day. Parade all the tanks and guns on Armed Forces Day. Parade the politicians on Election Day. But on the Fourth of July, that's the day we should have been celebrating freedom for the ordinary people and have all the various groups representing all our freedoms marching down the street!
Well there were 25,000 military war dead during the Revolutionary war. If it wasn't for our Revolutionary Army under the leadership of General George Washington, I doubt if we would have ever had the birth of our nation. I agree, there certainly were patriots who kick-started everything back in Boston (massacre, tea party) who we owe a great debt of gratitude for (as well as those who fought along with the soldiers). But it's the military who held off the British long enough for our fore fathers to get together and write then implement the Declaration of Independence. The war continued on until 1783, more than 7 years later. The Constitution was adopted in 1784.

Also, we should be honest with each other and realize that these holidays are not given the same thought to as they once did. Veterans Day is pretty much forgotten other than the sales. Fourth of July is for BBQ and the going to the beach/lake, fireworks are cool though. Only about 60% of Americans turned out to vote in 2016.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:15 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,065,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Yep, I can remember when it would have been promptly shut down and told to take it to the politics forum.
Well I really wanted to know how those that served and are serving felt. I wasn’t sure if this was okay. It seems most military past liked it fine. Some not much. I was hoping they felt appreciated.

Wishing all of you the best and thanks for your service.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:11 PM

821 posts, read 407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well I really wanted to know how those that served and are serving felt. I wasn’t sure if this was okay. It seems most military past liked it fine. Some not much. I was hoping they felt appreciated.

Wishing all of you the best and thanks for your service.
You knew exactly what you were doing!

Old 07-08-2019, 04:13 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,087,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
You knew exactly what you were doing!
x2

Old 07-09-2019, 05:16 PM

39,341 posts, read 27,744,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I watched it and thought it was a nice tribute to the military, but was really wondering what the folks in the military or military vets felt about it.

Not sure if it is okay to ask this on this forum, but figured there are more military on here. Sorry if this isn't a correct place to ask this question.
My future father-in-law is a veteran and he doesn't like the military parade. He believes that military parades are the "stuff" that countries like Russia and North Korea or China do to make them feel like they are well equipped. It’s never about honoring the military, it’s about showing one’s genitals.

My brother, my fiance and all three of my fiance's brothers are veterans who are indifferent. Their general attitude is that the we have Veteran’s day and Memorial day for honoring the military. but they understand that Trump’s real purpose for the military parade is to show how strong, how technologically-advanced, and how fierce our military is as a way of intimidating the enemies so they refrain from doing anything stupid. They think Trump had the good intention, so it is better just let it go, regardless what their personal opinions are. Plus, Trump wanted to honor the military, which is good.

I think all veterans are entitled to their opinions. Neither right nor wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues