Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:08 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,069,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I'm not military, only a Vietnam-era veteran.
Okay, this has been on my mind since I started this thread. I find this upsetting. You are hardly "only a Vietnam veteran! Thank you for serving our country. It isn't an easy job and many times very thankless.

I hope you never say the word, "only" ahead of that again. There is nothing only about it. Thank you again for your service!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
You knew exactly what you were doing!
Correct. I was interested in what people that are involved in the military thought about this event. Nothing more. For the most part the people I was asking liked it okay. I don't think anyone loved it, but many felt it was okay. Again, I thought I wouldn't like it, but felt he was honoring many people (individuals) that have served with honor.

I really don't care what the agenda people think. Sorry, but everything isn't about pushing some agenda. I am too old for that crap, I want to hear what people that served our country felt. Is it that hard to understand? Geez!!!

Old 07-09-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My future father-in-law is a veteran and he doesn't like the military parade. He believes that military parades are the "stuff" that countries like Russia and North Korea or China do to make them feel like they are well equipped. It’s never about honoring the military, it’s about showing one’s genitals.

My brother, my fiance and all three of my fiance's brothers are veterans who are indifferent. Their general attitude is that the we have Veteran’s day and Memorial day for honoring the military. but they understand that Trump’s real purpose for the military parade is to show how strong, how technologically-advanced, and how fierce our military is as a way of intimidating the enemies so they refrain from doing anything stupid. They think Trump had the good intention, so it is better just let it go, regardless what their personal opinions are. Plus, Trump wanted to honor the military, which is good.

I think all veterans are entitled to their opinions. Neither right nor wrong.
Thanks for this response. Seems you have multiple people that had an opinion and had a normal discussion about it. Must have been nice. I don't know a lot of people in the military and wanted to get a feel for what people though. I hope next time Trump does it he changes it up a little and honors some others and a less of a military feel. There are a lot of people that made our great country and I think it would be nice to see these parades change around each year. Could be fun to see what comes next.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:46 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,415,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Okay, this has been on my mind since I started this thread. I find this upsetting. You are hardly "only a Vietnam veteran! Thank you for serving our country. It isn't an easy job and many times very thankless.

I hope you never say the word, "only" ahead of that again. There is nothing only about it. Thank you again for your service!
I appreciate that GG. Initially I was just not sure who you were asking the question to and I didn't want to step on anyone's toes or feelings. It seems I do that enough on CD these days.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:06 AM

44,689 posts, read 61,830,991 times
Korean War Veteran here...
I was under the impression that the 4th (Independence Day) was for all people "military or civilian" to 'celebrate our independence and freedoms', not military might. The world already knows we are the mightiest military of all.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:46 PM

6,482 posts, read 9,863,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Korean War Veteran here...
I was under the impression that the 4th (Independence Day) was for all people "military or civilian" to 'celebrate our independence and freedoms', not military might. The world already knows we are the mightiest military of all.
The celebration was for all, not just military.

As far as military might, I don't see it as that at all. Our military are the ones that fought for the independance and freedoms we are celebrating. Why a vet would even question that makes me think a lot less of that vet for sure.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:53 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,284,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
But....don’t you think Thunderbirds and Blue Angels help recruiting? Kid sees crew in sharp uniforms and it appeals to him/her, not realizing if THEY enlist they’re gonna be wearing non-tailored fatigues.
Not necessarily. What one wears in the military is based more on what one does, not the rank. I was enlisted. After basic training, I'm not sure if I ever wore fatigues again. If I did, it was rare. I wore dress blues mostly and summer khakis, as did most everyone else in my command. Some had them tailored, most did not.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
The celebration was for all, not just military.

As far as military might, I don't see it as that at all. Our military are the ones that fought for the independance and freedoms we are celebrating. Why a vet would even question that makes me think a lot less of that vet for sure.
I guess you didn't read the post correctly. Quote: The celebration was for all not just the military". The original post question was "what do the military feel about Trump". Trump made it a military might production. Tanks and airplanes were not needed for the celebration. Moderator cut: Too political

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-14-2019 at 04:19 PM..

Old 07-13-2019, 10:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,626,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I guess you didn't read the post correctly. Quote: The celebration was for all not just the military". The original post question was "what do the military feel about Trump". Trump made it a military might production. Tanks and airplanes were not needed for the celebration. We're not Putin or Kim's regime, though Trump does worship them.
That is so much BS. People from all walks of life enjoy seeing military hardware. Last year's open house at my local Air Force base hosted 320,000 people who came to see aircraft and other military hardware on display. That represents over 43 percent of the entire state population. When I served I was one of those who answered hundreds of questions from the public about our particular aircraft and its missions. My guess is that those who manned those tanks on the 4th of July were volunteers. We always had plenty of volunteers to man our static displays. Two tanks and two APCs or whatever they were are hardly a display of military might. And President Trump seems to be the only one putting America first. Listening to the other 2020 candidates it's a race to see who can give away the most to noncitizens.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:26 PM

That's you opinion and privilege, but the majority of complaints about Trumps military 4th agree it was not the proper celebration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues