Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Ive seen lots fake veterans / posers wearing uniforms or panhandling in San Francisco

there is this big black dude that walks around all the time dressed in camo BDU trousers, combat boots, black beret, dog tags and a t-shirt with the USN SEAL TRIDENT

and Ive seen him numerous times wearing the same outfit, and I seriously doubt a real former SEAL would dress like that, most likely he's gay

also see guys wearing camo posing as Vietnam veterans panhandling and they are obviously too young to have been there
<sarcasm> Hey, that Agent Orange does some weird stuff to you man! It can even slow the aging process.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Ive seen lots fake veterans / posers wearing uniforms or panhandling in San Francisco

there is this big black dude that walks around all the time dressed in camo BDU trousers, combat boots, black beret, dog tags and a t-shirt with the USN SEAL TRIDENT

and Ive seen him numerous times wearing the same outfit, and I seriously doubt a real former SEAL would dress like that, most likely he's gay

also see guys wearing camo posing as Vietnam veterans panhandling and they are obviously too young to have been there
So you have concluded this "big black dude" is most likely gay and a fake veteran...

Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:

A black beret? A SEAL? Naw, I think you've mistaken this for stolen valor but it's just a misunderstanding.
He's really an out of work "Village Person " I'll bet you can find one of his old videos on youtube..
"In the Naaaaa-Vee! You can sail da 7 seeeeze, in da Naaaaa-Vee, in da Naaaa-Vee!"

In the Navy - YouTube

Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 AM

177 posts, read 197,749 times
Default Have you ever encountered a phony veteran/imposter??

If so, how did you handle him? Did you just leave him be in his La La land state of mind or did you call him out or challenge his story?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Saw this only once. It was on my street- a very tall black kid used to wander about and talk about his tour of Afghanistan. I was kind and believed him..tried to show him some respect...Eventually I figured out that he was severely mentally ill - and possibly dangerous...He's gone now..either in a hospital or a jail... Still- anything is possible..He may have been telling the truth but I doubt it...*I would not bother challenging the story of such a person.....If you are a former military man who has served...well maybe- but is it worth it? Probably not...Any person who would make up stories has a problem...and should be left alone.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegQ View Post
If so, how did you handle him? Did you just leave him be in his La La land state of mind or did you call him out or challenge his story?
I've encountered imposters like that several times. In my case, all of them have been boys/men and none of the ones I'm aware of would have served prior to Vietnam. The most egregious have been guys who claim to have served either in Vietnam or Iraq/Afghanistan, but I've also seen imposters from the cold war era and Desert Storm. Most often, once I'm suspicious if they actually served, I'll ask some seemingly innocuous questions until they start to realize that they aren't baffling me with their BS and that they can't keep up with their shoddy details. They usually clam up around then and typically I call them out directly then and tell them point blank that I don't believe them and that what they're doing is ignorant and illegal. I'm a woman so I think a lot of guys think they can impress me - and that I wouldn't know enough to catch them in their lies.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
I meet them everyday. They are veterans that added alot flavor to their service. I have not met anyone who flat out did not serve and listed a series actions and awards. I would not know how to handle that situation because i feel these people are crazy. Everyone tells a white lie, but to carry it on and receive benefits is requires a person at a level of craziness that i rarely see. I feel its best suited for their peers to reprimand those people.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quite a few times, with most of them claiming to be Special Forces or SEALS.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
I've not met anyone who out and out lied about if they served or not - although, I've seen alot of posts on boards from people who are dating or know someone dating someone who claims to be in/have been in the service and things don't add up.

I have met ALOT of people who lie about where they have been or what they were doing.... I'm married to a guy who did alot of "stuff" and know others who did as well. Those people are the ones (special teams type people) who talk the least about the specifics of where they've been or what they've done...

Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
I mentioned this in a previous thread on the subject (which I can't find now):

Baltimore homicide detectives were called to a bar where two guys who had been drinking and talking together peaceably suddenly started arguing and ended up stabbing each other, both fatally. The barmaid said that the argument started over which one had been in the tougher unit in Viet Nam.

When the detectives checked the dead guys' I.D.'s, they found that when the war in Viet Nam ended, one of the dead guys was 13, and the other was 11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues