Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
I am caught up. I am confused about why you were talking about LA wanting (and getting!) TWO teams... I understood that to refer to two NFL teams, in the context in which you were speaking. So I am confused because LA does not currently have any NFL teams, so if the Vikings went to LA, it would only be one NFL team in LA.
He means that if LA was to "take" the Vikings from the Twin Cities, that would be essentially taking two teams; one from each city Minneapolis and St Paul... and one from Arden Hills too, three cities. Minneapolis, St Paul, Arden Hills and Bloomington, three... no.... four cities... Minneapolis, St Paul, Arden Hills, Bloomington and Brooklyn Center... five cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM

256 posts, read 586,305 times
The LA Lakers used to be the Minneapolis Lakers, so if the Vikings were to go to LA, that would be two teams that LA has taken from Minnesota.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:36 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
I am caught up. I am confused about why you were talking about LA wanting (and getting!) TWO teams... I understood that to refer to two NFL teams, in the context in which you were speaking. So I am confused because LA does not currently have any NFL teams, so if the Vikings went to LA, it would only be one NFL team in LA.

You're confused bro. LA people are trying to get 2 NFL teams lured to the area.

It's the second largest media market in the USA. The amount of people could easily support two NFL teams. They have before, with the Rams and Raiders. Both left for their own reasons, not because "people in LA hate football"

The NFL is salivating over the LA market. They just have $$$ in their eyes. The revenue from TV and advertising would go through the roof.

They have some grand scenario planned, using Staples Center and the new stadium as anchors on a block full of retail, shopping, entertainment, housing, etc....

In my honest opinion, I think that the Jacksonville Jaguars will become an LA team and the Chargers will relocated back to LA.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 AM

256 posts, read 586,305 times
The NFL is more interested in the fact that LA lets every other team in the league threaten to move. Put a team in LA, and that threat is greatly reduced.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
The NFL is more interested in the fact that LA lets every other team in the league threaten to move. Put a team in LA, and that threat is greatly reduced.
Probably a lot of truth to this not to mention that it is pretty common knowledge that LA can not/has not supported football in the past. In January 1995 the Rams bolted the 2nd largest market in the country for St Louis, the 18th largest. What does Al Davis do now that he has the only team in town? Six months later he moves them back to Oakland!

Two years later the Houston Oilers take advantage of this huge opportunity in Los Angeles by moving their team to Nashville, the 38th largest MSA.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
I don't know where people dream up these crazy ideas....Los Angeles will NOT be getting 2 NFL teams anytime soon...and most likely not in our lifetime. The two groups in L.A. are both vying to get one team, nobody is expecting both will succeed in getting a team.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,164,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Well I think that would be an atrocity and some teams should be "legacied" to their cities at a certain point because they become part of the local culture. I say the Vikes fit that mold. It'd be really sad if the NFL did to the Vikes what they did to the Browns AGAIN, just for a short term fix. We all know LA doesn't give two $hits about NFL football, and never will. Why they want (and get!) TWO teams is unbelievable to me!!
This is Wrong.

LA is a huge market, 2nd largest in the country, they can support two teams much easier than a mid-market like the TC. It doesn't matter what culture is here, it's all about money, and the owner of the vikings is losing money on the team from spending as much as he can to bring a superbowl here and not having a sufficient facility to generate the revenue he needs to stay in the black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
He means that if LA was to "take" the Vikings from the Twin Cities, that would be essentially taking two teams; one from each city Minneapolis and St Paul... and one from Arden Hills too, three cities. Minneapolis, St Paul, Arden Hills and Bloomington, three... no.... four cities... Minneapolis, St Paul, Arden Hills, Bloomington and Brooklyn Center... five cities.
IF that is what he means, it's a poor arguement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
You're confused bro. LA people are trying to get 2 NFL teams lured to the area.

It's the second largest media market in the USA. The amount of people could easily support two NFL teams. They have before, with the Rams and Raiders. Both left for their own reasons, not because "people in LA hate football"

The NFL is salivating over the LA market. They just have $$$ in their eyes. The revenue from TV and advertising would go through the roof.

They have some grand scenario planned, using Staples Center and the new stadium as anchors on a block full of retail, shopping, entertainment, housing, etc....

In my honest opinion, I think that the Jacksonville Jaguars will become an LA team and the Chargers will relocated back to LA.
Any of the mentioned teams, including MN and Buffalo are all subject to be moved. If it make sense financially, the NFL will do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I don't know where people dream up these crazy ideas....Los Angeles will NOT be getting 2 NFL teams anytime soon...and most likely not in our lifetime. The two groups in L.A. are both vying to get one team, nobody is expecting both will succeed in getting a team.
This is Wrong. They've been building this up for a while now and there are many firms/people working hard DAILY to get two NFL teams back to LA. There's a lot of money to be made by moving teams there and there's people hard at work to get it done. How hard is MN working to keep the vikings in MN? Is it as hard as the guys working in LA to get a team? They have the size advantage and they're willing to build a new stadium...

Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
This is Wrong.

LA is a huge market, 2nd largest in the country, they can support two teams much easier than a mid-market like the TC. It doesn't matter what culture is here, it's all about money, and the owner of the vikings is losing money on the team from spending as much as he can to bring a superbowl here and not having a sufficient facility to generate the revenue he needs to stay in the black.

Any of the mentioned teams, including MN and Buffalo are all subject to be moved. If it make sense financially, the NFL will do it.

This is Wrong. They've been building this up for a while now and there are many firms/people working hard DAILY to get two NFL teams back to LA. There's a lot of money to be made by moving teams there and there's people hard at work to get it done. How hard is MN working to keep the vikings in MN? Is it as hard as the guys working in LA to get a team? They have the size advantage and they're willing to build a new stadium...
Funny, sorry to sidetrack this hockey talk, but it's curious on how opinions and perceptions ebb and flow. To wit, our conversation sometiime back when I was proclaiming the Vikings without MSP options and bound to move and you were stating that they would never move to LA.

posts 26 & 27...

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...ml#post9300934

Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times
I can't believe the Vikings HAVEN'T moved to a different metro yet.

They are a joke of a franchise. They play in an embarassing, pathetic stadium. The Vikings' fan base is pretty pathetic too... A bunch of whiney bandwagoners. They cry, cry, cry about their poor pathetic Vikings, but are the first people to throw on their purple when they get a win, and are the first people to throw off their purple when the other team scores.

All you hear about is grumbling, grumbling, grumbling, and then when they get one little win (ie, the Philly game this year), they are all of a sudden super awesome champions of the NFL. It's a joke....

Look at the stadium issue.. People are so quick to snarl, scoff and scream "Oh boy, you better not touch my miserable tax dollars!!!!, arg!!" but then are the first people to line up at the sports bar and cheer "Go Go Go!" when AP gets a hand-off.

I'm tired of the contradictory fan base. It's either you like the Vikings, or you don't. I myself am a giant fan. It's a sad franchise, whos History outshines anything that's been done recently... however, I still throw on my purple and will cheer cheeer cheeer for four quarters whether they lose or win. I stuck through every game this pathetic season and did all of last year's amazing season.

what's sad is that the Vikings have maybe one of the best running backs ever on their team, but nobody seems to give him the credit he deserves. Everybody cries about his fumbles, but fail to realize that the guy is a machine, and it should be looked at as collateral damage.

So to answer the question of the OP, no, the Twin Cities could NOT support two Hockey teams (technically they do, U of M and Wild), the Twin Cities need to start support the four professional franchises first.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
This is Wrong.

Regardless how much money it makes, LA SUCKS as a football town. Always has, always will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul