Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times

Advertisements

Nobody was asking about another Canadian team though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,681,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Probably but I figured we were talking about MN compared to other states in the US.

You could do a "fantasy league" MN team for comparison to the rest of the league.
I'll take

Dustin Byfuglien (Stanley Cup)
Blake Wheeler
Matt Cullen (Stanley Cup)
Kyle Okposo
Alex Goligoski (Stanley Cup)
Brett Hedican (Stanley Cup)
Mark Hartigan (Stanley Cup)
Jamie Langenbrunner (Olympian)
David Backes (Olympian)
Sean Hill
Erik Johnson
TJ Oshie
Zach Parise (Olympian)
Peter Mueller

Just a few MN's in the NHL now..

Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Probably but I figured we were talking about MN compared to other states in the US.

You could do a "fantasy league" MN team for comparison to the rest of the league.
True. I suspect Minnesota would do very well.

We would also crush every other state at curling!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Nobody was asking about another Canadian team though.
Perhaps not. But the existence of other bigger potential NHL markets in both Canada and the U.S. makes a team in Duluth or St. Cloud a virtual impossibility.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,347 times
The Milwaukee area should get a NHL team before MN gets a second. I think one of the sunbelt teams should be moved there.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 AM

455 posts, read 638,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
The Milwaukee area should get a NHL team before MN gets a second. I think one of the sunbelt teams should be moved there.
I have to say, I don't understand the whole "the sun belt doesn't deserve a hockey team" thought, really. Does that mean that NFL teams up north should all be relocated to Texas and the Southeast?

But I do agree, based on what I have seen--at this point as an outsider--that it is unlikely that a franchise would want to try to make it as a second NHL team in the Twin Cities when there are other interested markets without a team.

Last edited by southernsmoke; 02-01-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,681,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
I don't understand the whole "the sun belt doesn't deserve a hockey team" thought, really. Does that mean that NFL teams up north should all be relocated to Texas and the Southeast?

What's not to understand about the "The Sun-Belt doesn't deserve a Hockey Team"?

It's not like people in the North are being bullies.

Hockey in the South just isn't feasible, it's been proven over and over.

Your comparison is just silly. The NFL is a powerhouse, it is successful everywhere. NFL Europe is probably more successful than NHL in the south...

The Phoenix Coyotes are one of the better teams in the NHL playing a huge metro, and they still can't get people in the stands, they are the 2nd worse in the NHL

2010-2011 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

Southern Cities just lack the interest to create a legitimate fan base. Hockey is hard for people to follow because it's not very TV-Friendly sport. It's better watched in person. It's a little harder to follow as well unless you've grown up watching or playing

Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,347 times
Quote:
I have to say, I don't understand the whole "the sun belt doesn't deserve a hockey team" thought, really. Does that mean that NFL teams up north should all be relocated to Texas and the Southeast?

But I do agree, based on what I have seen--at this point as an outsider--that it is unlikely that a franchise would want to try to make it as a second NHL team in the Twin Cities when there are other interested markets without a team.
I guess not all of the sunbelt teams are doing as bad as I originally thought for attendance.

Phoenix and Atlanta have the lowest average attendance for sunbelt teams, but both are slightly ahead of the NY Islanders which has the lowest overall.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Football is played by kids all over the country, while youth hockey is either very limited or not played at all in some parts of the south. Minnesota has what, five Division I men's hockey teams in the state now? (UMN, UMD, SCSU, Mankato, Bemidji), and also exports a lot of players to other colleges.

With regard to football: remember that UMD (University of MN Duluth) has won the Division II championship two of the past three years, and conferences like the Big Ten have a very long tradition of good football teams. It isn't like we don't have quality football programs in the northern US.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 02-01-2011 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Fixed misspellings. Ugh.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Southern Cities just lack the interest to create a legitimate fan base. Hockey is hard for people to follow because it's not very TV-Friendly sport. It's better watched in person. It's a little harder to follow as well unless you've grown up watching or playing
They need to bring back the comet puck effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul