Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM

416 posts, read 560,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, consider this. I mentioned Minnesota to some people in the Atlanta area. The very first thing that came out of their mouths was "that state? It sucks, it gets cold over there, nothing over there". First thing mentioned was nothing but negative comments, and as I was trying to point out some good things about the state, they weren't hearing it. And the interesting thing is, these persons had never been to Minnesota. My mother spent a few years in Minnesota, I have relatives there, I've been there. The people making the worst comments about Minnesota were people who had never been there.
Yep. People who've never been have absolutely no concept of what it's like here and no matter how much you try to explain they don't believe you. But then sister cities Austin, Portland, and Seattle get so much press Minneapolis just gets shrugged off.

Which is fine by me frankly.

I guess that sounds pretty smug!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:54 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, consider this. I mentioned Minnesota to some people in the Atlanta area. The very first thing that came out of their mouths was "that state? It sucks, it gets cold over there, nothing over there". First thing mentioned was nothing but negative comments, and as I was trying to point out some good things about the state, they weren't hearing it. And the interesting thing is, these persons had never been to Minnesota. My mother spent a few years in Minnesota, I have relatives there, I've been there. The people making the worst comments about Minnesota were people who had never been there.
Yeah, well people have negative preconceptions about the Cleveland area too. That doesn't mean we go around putting other places down, or act superior to try to compensate. Instead we internalized it and took a self deprecating attitude (I'm using past tense, because that attitude seems to be changing around here). Not that that's a good approach either, but I think it's a better way than deluding yourselves into a false sense of superiority. In any event, you shouldn't let what the idiots of this country think of your state matter to you. People who judge places based on what they hear on TV, and what other people have told them aren't the types of people I would want living around me anyway.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
Travel and Leisure Magazine just released another one of their survey's; this one ranked the "Top 35 Snobbiest Cities in the United States". Minneapolis and St. Paul ranked as the 4th snobbiest in the US only surpassed by: San Francisco at #1; New York at #2; and Boston at #3. Santa Fe, NM and Seattle were tied at 5th place. Los Angeles ranked #16 in this survey.

When I was viewing one of the local morning news programs and they were discussing this story, one of the on-air personalities, of whom I know has worked in several other television markets prior to working in the Twin Cities, said on-camera, finally after six-and-a-half-years one of my neighbors finally waved to me. With that being stated, let the discussion begin.
last year we must have been on a temporary Nicolet Mall diesel buzz because a year later we don't even make the list

However in the same current issue America we do find these rankings...

Top Cities Overall

1. Providence
2. Houston
3. Kansas City
4. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Art Scene

1. New York City
2. Providence
3. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Concerts

1. Nashville
2. Austin
3. Los Angeles
4. Minneapolis

Festivals

1. New Orleans
2. Austin
3. Nashville
4. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Free Attractions

1. Washington, D.C.
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Theater

1. New York City
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Bookstores

1. Portland, OR
2. Houston
3. New York City
4. Seattle
5. Minneapolis/St. Paul

QUALITY OF LIFE

Cleanliness...
1. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Good Drivers...
1. Kansas City
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Peace & Quiet...
1. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Public Parks and Gardens
1. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Public Transportation/Pedestian Friendliness
1. Portland, OR
2. Washington, DC
3. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Safety...
1. Salt Lake City
2. Portland, ME
3. Minneapolis

PEOPLE

Athletic/Active...
1. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Friendly...
1. Nashville
2. Salt Lake City
3. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Intelligent...
1. Minneapolis/St. Paul

NIGHTLIFE

Live Music Scene...
1. Nashville
2. New Orleans
3. Austin
4. Minneapolis/St. Paul

FOOD & DRINK

Bakeries...
1. Providence
2. Houston
3. New York City
4. Minneapolis/St Paul

Craft Beer...
1. Portland, OR
2. Kansas City
3. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Hamburgers...
1. Houston
2. Providence
3. Minneapolis/St. Paul

TYPE OF TRIP

Family Vacation...
1. Orlando
2. Tampa
3. Salt Lake City
4. Albuquerque
5. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Gay-Friendly Vacation...
1. Minneapolis/St. Paul

Unfortunately, this was the only one I could find that had Cleveland listed...

Flea Markets...
1. Kansas City
2. Albuquerque
3. Houston
4. Cleveland

Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 AM

171 posts, read 195,614 times
Cleveland ranks #1 in rock and roll hall of fames.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
last year we must have been on a temporary Nicolet Mall diesel buzz because a year later we don't even make the list
I love it. Lists are your friends when they say nice things about your city. But when they say bad things, they're completely incredible and misinformed. Don't you realize yet that all these lists are click bait, and are good for amusement, but not much else? They're sort of like horoscopes, in that they can apply to virtually any city, and are based on half-truths and pseudoscience; and apparently Minnesotans are superstitious enough to believe them, but only when they say nice things about you.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Yep. People who've never been have absolutely no concept of what it's like here and no matter how much you try to explain they don't believe you. But then sister cities Austin, Portland, and Seattle get so much press Minneapolis just gets shrugged off.

Which is fine by me frankly.

I guess that sounds pretty smug!
Here in the Atlanta area, Seattle gets made fun of too. First thing people think "rain, suicide", forget the fact that the most suicidal cities in America are in Florida, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado, and that Atlanta gets more rain than Seattle.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I love it. Lists are your friends when they say nice things about your city. But when they say bad things, they're completely incredible and misinformed. Don't you realize yet that all these lists are click bait, and are good for amusement, but not much else? They're sort of like horoscopes, in that they can apply to virtually any city, and are based on half-truths and pseudoscience; and apparently Minnesotans are superstitious enough to believe them, but only when they say nice things about you.
Quote:
...I 100% agree with the list, and that's one of the reasons I disliked Minnesota....
Quote:
Yeah, well people have negative preconceptions about the Cleveland area too. That doesn't mean we go around putting other places down....
I love it, Hypocrite 101

Old 10-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I love it, Hypocrite 101
Sometimes horoscopes are right, what can I say? But I don't use them to make my judgments, they just sometimes happen to align with them.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:48 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
I used to be sort of put off by these people but now i can see where they come from.

When people from one of the best metro areas in the country show appreciation towards their home i think they come across as snobby... though they don't mean to be snobby, they are just stating the facts.

We do live in a great city. The Cities can sometimes be compared to Seattle, just not as urban but still has that hipster/educated/progressive vibe and its also mostly a pretty safe city. We have suburbs that feel like those streetcar suburbs of Chicago (Stillwater, White Bear Lake, Hudson, Hopkins, Wayzata) and suburbs that are like those in the DFW area (Woodbury, Maple Grove, Plymouth, Apple Valley). its like the perfect metro area.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:50 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Can't stand going to the TC's for meetings..... Once people find out you are outstate they treat you like a pariah..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul