Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 08:03 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Finding three people to agree with you on an internet forum is not exactly overwhelming evidence. I thought you were more clever than that.
Here are a few hundred more:

I Hate Minneapolis - I Hate St. Paul - What's Bad About Living in the Twin Cities?

Last edited by Cleverfield; 10-27-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post

We could also advocate for a new Minnesota tourism campaign: "Indian and Thai restaurants, only in Minnesota".
There is a preponderance of Thai restaurants in Minneapolis for some reason.

I've never had good indian food here. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
Not comparing any of this to other cities kind of reinforces the insular point.

For instance, the city council having 3 out of 13 minorities is supposed to show how well minorities are represented?

Of cities I checked quick (going by photos, which could be inaccurate), here are those that have a lower percentage of minorities on their city council: Des Moines, St. Paul.

Cities with a higher percentage of minorities on their city council: Cleveland, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Denver, Omaha, Indianapolis.

I'm also wondering if the Minneapolis City Council had any minorities on it a year ago.

We could also advocate for a new Minnesota tourism campaign: "Indian and Thai restaurants, only in Minnesota".
It is obvious you have made up your mind, but you can't seriously think there have been major changes in the area over the last 30 years. That in itself is insular thinking IMO. Now if the thread had been done about St. Cloud or Fargo-Moorhead, then I might agree. I actually forgot about a black councilperson in a north Minneapolis district I believe. Anyways, enough info was provided to demonstrate that the "provincial, insular" claim is without merit! Congrats to those other cities, but it does not take away from Minneapolis' progress at all.

Of course, you twist words at the end. Nothing in my post suggested those restaurants were only in MN. Maybe you meant it as pure humor...who knows. LOL.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You just don't like the area. No one cares any more. Starting to have a "broken record" effect. Three people agreed with you. Won't even read the list..most likely exaggerations. LOL.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
You just don't like the area. No one cares any more. Starting to have a "broken record" effect. Three people agreed with you. Won't even read the list..most likely exaggerations. LOL.
Not many cities have whole web pages dedicated to people talking about how much they hate it. That seems to lend credence to the notion that the TC's are very unwelcoming to many people. That relates directly to the premise of this thread about the Cities being snooty.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:22 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Not many cities have whole web pages dedicated to people talking about how much they hate it.
Well, if we going to use internet activity to measure this, some cities have whole websites devoted to the topic.

Everybody Hates Cleveland | …where devotion and revulsion go hand-in-hand…

Now I don't believe this but some people even think God hates Cleveland!

God Hates Cleveland

Old 10-27-2014, 10:25 AM

One could just as easily pull out the "we're not detroit" parody tourism videos made about Cleveland which IMO are a much bigger zinger than a page of anonymous Yahoo comments. The accompanying visuals are pretty damning...

HASTILY MADE CLEVELAND TOURISM VIDEO - YouTube

Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt - YouTube

Or a more serious take, filmed just last year...

Making Sense of Place - Cleveland: Confronting Decline in an American City - YouTube

Old 10-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Well, if we going to use internet activity to measure this, some cities have whole websites devoted to the topic.

Everybody Hates Cleveland | …where devotion and revulsion go hand-in-hand…

Now I don't believe this but some people even think God hates Cleveland!

God Hates Cleveland
You're citing two sports blogs, whose names are referencing Cleveland's sports misfortunes, rather than people actually hating the city. This is totally different than a website with pages and pages of people saying how unwelcoming, racist, and insular Minnesota is, something that is echoed on almost every forum or conversation about the cities; opinions that are promptly denied by posters like yourself. And you wonder why people think Minneapolis is stuck up? You're not even acknowledging that many people have these poor experiences with Minnesota's culture.

And Rzzzz, you're citing videos made by a local comedian at the height of the great recession, over 4 years ago (it's pretty sad that people take what's intended for comedy as unfettered truth), and a video made by some random guy showcasing Cleveland's industrial and economic decline, but not actually saying anything bad about the city itself (in fact, saying many good things about it, and lamenting its decline). None of these are anything like a whole page dedicated to people venting about how much they dislike living in a place.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 10-27-2014 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
You're citing two sports blogs, whose names are referencing Cleveland's sports misfortunes, rather than people actually hating the city....
And Rzzzz, you're citing videos made by a local comedian at the height of the great recession, over 4 years ago ... etc., etc., etc.
That's because there's nothing going on in Cleveland except weak sports teams so no one but sports fans even cares to comment about the place. I can't help that.

But what happened to the claim that people here don't hold on to their heritage? I'm still waiting for you to document or retract that one. Why do you keep changing the subject? Are you having difficulty following the conversation here?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:51 AM

Well to be honest I am not sure what your deal is other than just trolling. Personally I will take snobby insular people over gloomy rust belt societal collapse. If you don't live in Minneapolis, and Cleveland is so great, I am confused as to why you are bothering with this particular forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul