Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 08:34 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,709 times

Advertisements

Your points are not valid.
Why not make a Cleveland vs. Minneapolis thread on the City vs. City page and see which one fares better? Btw. I actually like Cleveland and I wish it the best, but for you to call the Twin Cities suburban, lilly white and racist makes me believe that you have never actually been to Minneapolis and you are lying to all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,130,432 times
Again, that's the MO of Minnesotans, rather than actually addressing the obvious, they prefer to discredit you by doubting your legitimacy. It's not hard to find people who express the notion that Minnesotans are racist. It was very well-noticed by the black students at my college, who had racial slurs shouted at them by people in town. Oh, I guess I must be lying about that too right? Maybe I never set foot in Minnesota at all. I don't care how many people vote for Minneapolis over Cleveland or how many lists Minneapolis is on. None of those things matter when it comes to the issues we're bringing up, because the people affected by these things don't care about lists or votes. The fact is that many people find Minneapolis to be a stifling, unfriendly, and sometimes downright hostile environment, and if your only response to them is that they should "get out" that shows you what an oppressive, closed-minded culture you really are.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 10-28-2014 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Ah, I see you have already done a Cleveland vs. Minneapolis thread. The results of the poll are interesting.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ty-recent.html

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 10-28-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 09:01 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Someone needs to put this thread out of its misery! It has gone beyond the point of ridiculousness.
I can do it. I'm good at taking this kind of thing to its insane conclusion, but I'm kind of tired right now and watching the world series. I'll try tomorrow. it's not going to be pretty though.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Again, that's the MO of Minnesotans, rather than actually addressing the obvious, they prefer to discredit you by doubting your legitimacy. It's not hard to find people who express the notion that Minnesotans are racist. It was very well-noticed by the black students at my college, who had racial slurs shouted at them by people in town. Oh, I guess I must be lying about that too right? Maybe I never set foot in Minnesota at all. I don't care how many people vote for Minneapolis over Cleveland or how many lists Minneapolis is on. None of those things matter when it comes to the issues we're bringing up, because the people affected by these things don't care about lists or votes. The fact is that many people find Minneapolis to be a stifling, unfriendly, and sometimes downright hostile environment, and if you're only response to them is that they should "get out" that shows you what an oppressive, closed-minded culture you really are.
Northfield does not = Minneapolis.. it is not even part of the Twin Cities metro area

Old 10-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Northfield does not = Minneapolis.. it is not even part of the Twin Cities metro area
It happens in the Twin Cities too.

Quote:
Community activist DeVon Nolen offered the gathering of about 50 people a window into the serious lack of trust between African Americans and the Minneapolis Police Department.

"They're treated like savages," she said of black residents. "They're treated like dogs. I've seen it. I've witnessed it with my own eyes. And my children witness it on a daily basis. And so it's hard for me to tell them that if you're in trouble, you should go to a police officer for help."
Forum on race relations with Minneapolis police turns tense | Minnesota Public Radio News

Old 10-28-2014, 09:10 PM

I don't really believe he even went to college since nobody says they went to college "in northfield."

Old 10-28-2014, 09:15 PM

You people will never see your city how so many others see it and experience it, because you're probably of a personality type and background that fits in perfectly in Minnesota. This conversation is so not worth my time. So thank you for the aggravation, and the reminder of what I didn't like about Minnesota, and with that I bid you good night, and goodbye. Good luck with the impending race riots.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:16 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,819 times
Here is the deal Cleverfield. People are disagreeing with you because it looks like you don't know Minneapolis and St Paul very well. To those of us who spend most of our time living and socializing around the urban core, your comments have a profound WTF quality to them. When you lived in Northfield did you own a car? Did you actually explore the cities in any detail beyond sponsored outings to Uptown, Downtown and Dinkytown, or trips to movie theaters in Lakeville? Because it sounds like that is your experience.

You also need to keep in mind that small liberal arts colleges in small towns tend to provide very atypical social experiences. At their best they can be good but at their worst they are lord-of-the-fliesesque social hothouses.

The Twin Cities tend to be socially balkanized in terms of exurb, suburb and city; so it is possible to live in a social/cultural environment that seems pervasive but is actually very different than what is happening fifteen miles away. For example, I am a chef. For most of my career I have worked in the core cities but for two years I worked in Loretto which is a tiny town twenty miles west of Minneapolis. Your description of Minnesota actually seems very accurate for Loretto. But now I am working in the city again. I have cooks from the US, Ecuador, Mexico, and Brazil. Most of the Americans are from the upper Midwest but have lived in other major cities in this country. Many of them are engaged in other creative persuits, some of them are very good at them, even world class. One is in a band that just returned from touring Europe, another has done murals in a number of cites, both domestically and internationally. On some levels I have also done that with my cooking. That is just an anecdote, but in general there are plenty of people here who live in the world and are engaged with it as a whole, not just their little corner of it. This is probably the predominant muse in the core cities and inner suburbs.

The Minnesota you describe does exist, but there is another cosmopolitan, urbane Minnesota that is plugged into the wider world. You seem to have completely missed that Minnesota in your time here. To those of us who live in that other Minnesota, who have global horizens and high ambitions, it is very annoying to be lectured by someone who thinks we are all a bunch of insular, narrow minded, Lutheran church ladies from Fairbault. (Not that there is anything wrong with Lutheran church ladies from Fairbault). This is why you are receiving the reaction you are getting.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 10-28-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You people will never see your city how so many others see it and experience it, because you're probably of a personality type and background that fits in perfectly in Minnesota. This conversation is so not worth my time. So thank you for the aggravation, and the reminder of what I didn't like about Minnesota, and with that I bid you good night, and goodbye. Good luck with the impending race riots.
That is a good one coming from an unemployed crazy person living in the 4th most racially segregated city in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul