Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
That is a good one coming from an unemployed crazy person living in the 4th most racially segregated city in the USA.
Thanks, but I have a good job, nice house, and a rental property (and I'm 25 years old, and did it with my own money). I love that you're living up to your list loving reputation, I think you guys must have a stockpile of lists that you pull out whenever the context is appropriate. Where did this one come from, Forbes? Time Magazine? National Enquirer? When will you people realize that lists and statistics are not the whole story, and can certainly not be used to define something as nebulous as a culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
That is a good one coming from an unemployed crazy person living in the 4th most racially segregated city in the USA.
I'm guessing that "writing" career evidently never quite took off

but there's always hope

Top 15 Great Alcoholic Writers - Listverse

Old 10-28-2014, 09:25 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Thanks, but I have a good job, nice house, and a rental property (and I'm 25 years old, and did it with my own money). I love that you're living up to your list loving reputation, I think you guys must have a stockpile of lists that you pull out whenever the context is appropriate. Where did this one come from, Forbes? Time Magazine? National Enquirer? When will you people realize that lists and statistics are not the whole story, and can certainly not be used to define something as nebulous as a culture.
You're a delusional english major drop out who couldn't get into the U of Iowa writing program and had to become a home inspector for foreclosures. In CLEVELAND. This City Data thread is going to be the only thing you accomplish in your entire life.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
You're an english major drop out who couldn't get into the U of Iowa writing program and had to become a home inspector for foreclosures. In CLEVELAND. This City Data thread is going to be the only thing you accomplish in your entire life.
That's pretty funny actually, you made me LOL. Not a single thing you just wrote, except for the Cleveland part, is accurate. English Major (wrong), drop out (wrong) U of Iowa (wrong) home inspector (was for a few months after college, but have since moved on to bigger and better things, so wrong). Cleveland (right!).

That's 1 for 5. Not good.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Quote:
That's pretty funny actually, you made me LOL.
Don't LOL too loud you'll wake up your parents upstairs.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Don't LOL too loud you'll wake up your parents upstairs.
The only thing upstairs is the roof over my head my friend. Your personal attacks based on nothing other than your pi$$ poor powers of perception are starting to get tiring. And I didn't even have to be an English Major to make that alliterative sentence.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:37 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
Jealousy is a very ugly thing and it is playing out very well on this thread.
Why don't you just move to Minneapolis Cleverfield so you don't have to be jealous anymore.

I was born and raised in Missouri so I am not a Minnesotan and everything you say about Minneapolis is ludicrous. I love the Twin Cities, just like I love Kansas City. Different cities, both great and both have inner cities that are making a come back.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:47 PM

And you people wonder why your city is considered snobby? The mark of a snob is believing that everyone who speaks poorly of them is jealous.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:49 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by most of this. Particularly the first couple of sentences. I honestly am pretty clueless as to what you are even trying to say. Made up my mind about what? Am I supposed to think there have NOT been changes to the area? And what is "the area" (Minneapolis, Twin Cites, Minnesota, Midwest, something else)? How does any of this seem to be insular thinking? Where did the 30 years come from? What does St. Cloud or Fargo have to do with any of this? Aren't we comparing Minneapolis to similar sized cities? Are you just (snobbishly) slamming St. Cloud and Fargo for no apparent reason?

After that I'm wondering if you are just a troll trying to slam Minneapolis. It seems like you are trying to defend against a claim that Minneapolis is insular by insinuating that nothing that happens outside of Minneapolis matters. Isn't that line of argument just reinforcing the idea that Minneapolis is insular?

I do find most of this thread similar. You had someone from somewhere else give an opinion that Minneapolis is insular. That claim is in part rejected by claiming that people from other areas couldn't possibly know anything about Minneapolis. Ummm, isn't that an insular argument.

Maybe I'll go back and read the thread assuming everything is sarcastic and then maybe it will make more sense.
The changes namely are that the area has more people of color these days and the population is tolerant and welcoming for the most part. The area has accepted large numbers of SE Asian immigrants, Somalis, a larger black population (some migrating from other cities), support and action on behalf of gay rights/marriage. I used Fargo and St. Cloud as examples of places where these things can happen, but much more slowly.

Troll? Only if you define that as someone with a different opinion than yours IMO. I certainly never said nothing outside Minneapolis matters. LOL. Clearly the area is not just insular, provincial and 95+% white any longer. That is really all I was saying and have supported that view with a significant number of examples in various posts here. Anyone that has paid attention to the many changes in the last 30-40 years in the area has to concede it is far less provincial/insular than it was in the distant past IMO. It just seemed to me your mind had been made up without considering this important information.

I would strongly suggest you re-read my post #247. Some good, open-minded actions and policies were even being advocated in the so-called "provincial" MN era. BTW, I forgot to mention Minnesota even has had a "Minnesota Black Musicians awards ceremony" since 1982! Sounds provincial and insular to me. NOT!

You are certainly entitled to your view and I will stick with mine. I was definitely assertive, but no disrespect was intended and am truly sorry if you felt otherwise.

Last edited by chessgeek; 10-28-2014 at 10:58 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 10:25 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Yeah, we know about your Hmong and Somalis. We have many refugee immigrants here too. Plus we have a larger Hispanic population than you guys do.
I checked the 2010 U.S. Census results and the two cities have approx equal Hispanic percentages, but slightly more for Minneapolis (Minneapolis 10.5%; Cleveland 10.0%). BTW, Minnesota has 4.7% Hispanic population and Ohio has 3.1% Hispanic population.

Sir, your credibility has been diminished by this simple fact check. You can simply call me and others snobs (name calling) for checking the facts if you prefer. Anyways, the NBA season is starting soon, so you can concentrate on Lebron James and the Cavaliers instead of getting too upset about "evil" Minnesotans. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul