Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 06:57 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times

Advertisements

Neither are nerds from Cleveland, as you discovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:02 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I think you're focusing too much on the issue of how many non-white elected officials you have. I really don't think that having black congresspeople, councilmen, or other elected officials means much of anything. The bigger issue is whether different ethnicities feel welcomed in society, and I think the overwhelming evidence points to the fact that African Americans especially don't feel welcome in Minneapolis.
I don't get this at all.

I've talked to people of color not only from America (as far away as Detroit, Chicago, New York, Memphis, and so on) but also Africans from Liberia, Nigeria, Tanzania, Togo, Ethiopia, Somalia and almost every single one of them has always told me that Minnesota is more "progressive" than the places they moved here from and that they liked it here better than the places they left.

That said, it is a fact that they are almost all concentrated in the inner city Twin Cities.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I don't get this at all.

I've talked to people of color not only from America (as far away as Detroit, Chicago, New York, Memphis, and so on) but also Africans from Liberia, Nigeria, Tanzania, Togo, Ethiopia, Somalia and almost every single one of them has always told me that Minnesota is more "progressive" than the places they moved here from and that they liked it here better than the places they left.

That said, it is a fact that they are almost all concentrated in the inner city Twin Cities.
I was unable to rep you, but you make a great point! People of color from those other American cities and other countries would not have moved to the area if they did not feel welcome. It is especially convincing that they believe the Twin Cities area is more progressive and they prefer it over their former home, despite the winters!

Last edited by chessgeek; 11-02-2014 at 11:43 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 05:18 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
lllmao.

And I'm curious what Katian thinks about MN putting in the first (black, no less) Muslim congressman in U.S. Congress.
That's what I thought. *crickets*

Old 11-03-2014, 06:51 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Quote:
I don't get this at all.

What was it someone said earlier in response to one of my posts? Oh yeah, anecdotes are not evidence.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 11-03-2014 at 07:01 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 08:12 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
What was it someone said earlier in response to one of my posts? Oh yeah, anecdotes are not evidence.
You didn't accept this statement when I used it to counter your use of personal experiences as "evidence" so what makes you trot it out now? Of course; it's convenient for you to use it now.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:15 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You didn't accept this statement when I used it to counter your use of personal experiences as "evidence" so what makes you trot it out now? Of course; it's convenient for you to use it now.
First of all, as I explained, 200 or so comments saying the same thing, plus news stories, etc. is more than anecdotal evidence. Secondly, if you're holding me to the standard of not using experiential evidence, why are you accepting their use of it? Of course; it's convenient for you to accept it now.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:27 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
The 'yahoo comments as evidence' is such a weird concept I can't believe the dude is even serious about it.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
Travel and Leisure Magazine just released another one of their survey's; this one ranked the "Top 35 Snobbiest Cities in the United States". Minneapolis and St. Paul ranked as the 4th snobbiest in the US only surpassed by: San Francisco at #1; New York at #2; and Boston at #3. Santa Fe, NM and Seattle were tied at 5th place. Los Angeles ranked #16 in this survey.
Our city beat you. Local mass holes help

Old 11-03-2014, 09:37 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Oy, I just have to shake my head and move on, you guys are really really blind to reality, and so stuck up
It has been about a week since you stated you were "moving on". I doubt it will happen at all. Your bitterness and negativity toward the region is obvious. Wouldn't it be better/more constructive to have also considered what you could have done differently to improve your 2+ year experience and also going forward instead of scapegoating it all on Minnesotans? It is unfortunate you ran into a few unfriendly people and had a hard time finding the friendly ones, but that has not been the experience of many people. Just food for thought. This is not the way to convince other people or gain empathy btw. I would say it is the opposite. Those were 200 comments and with multiple comments by some people. Therefore we are talking far fewer than 200 people as was pointed out earlier by Glenfield. Furthermore, thousands can easily be found complimenting most Minnesotans' friendliness which should also be considered.

Sorry you had a negative experience in MN, but try to learn from it and I hope things are going better in Cleveland for you.

Last edited by chessgeek; 11-03-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul