Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Houston
Worst Things About Living In Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I would admittedly prefer to retire in NYC, but I can certainly see the appeal of a place like Northfield as a retiree (likewise other nice college towns like Northampton, etc). But maybe that's the Minnesotan snob in me talking!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:47 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I would admittedly prefer to retire in NYC, but I can certainly see the appeal of a place like Northfield as a retiree (likewise other nice college towns like Northampton, etc). But maybe that's the Minnesotan snob in me talking!
Calling yourself a snob is snobby. Typical Minnesotan...

Old 10-27-2014, 08:45 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,819 times
Cleverfield's body of work is quite impressive. 2000 posts and at least half of them are about how awful Minnesota is. I've been to Cleveland numerous times, it is even worse than the part of upstate NY I grew up in, which is an impressive achievement. Some people who grow up in the rust belt cling delusionally to boosterism, some have a more honest appraisal of reality. The agenda here has more to do with Cleveland, Minnesota is just a foil.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
When you have 215 people who are all saying the same thing on an online forum, plus my own personal experience, plus what other people in virtually every thread about Minnesota say, plus what people I've known personally, who are from Minneapolis and lived there for many years say, that is more than anecdotal evidence.
215 is a much smaller number than 3.5 Million, which is the population of the Twin Cities. Roughly 40% of those 3.5 million are from out of state. If my math is correct then 0.0154% of the transplants to the Twin Cities have complained about it on the internet. I'm guessing you didn't go to Carleton. And I might be a snob for saying that, but I'm from New York so I am supposed to be.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 10-27-2014 at 09:34 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Cleverfield's body of work is quite impressive. 2000 posts and at least half of them are about how awful Minnesota is. I've been to Cleveland numerous times, it is even worse than the part of upstate NY I grew up in, which is an impressive achievement. Some people who grow up in the rust belt cling delusionally to boosterism, some have a more honest appraisal of reality. The agenda here has more to do with Cleveland, Minnesota is just a foil.
You are discounting Cleverfield's previous persona he first presented some years ago as evidenced by this early thread, such a sweet boy back then...something went frighteningly wrong with his turtle, and he now blames us for it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...orthfield.html

Old 10-27-2014, 09:51 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post

Also:

215 is a much smaller number than 3.5 Million, which is the population of the Twin Cities. Roughly 40% of those 3.5 million are from out of state. If my math is correct then 0.0154% of the transplants to the Twin Cities have complained about it on the internet. I'm guessing you didn't go to Carleton. And I might be a snob for saying that, but I'm from New York so I am supposed to be.
Shhh. Don't say that 40% are from out of state! That shatters the myths that Cleverfield has tried, but failed to convey in a convincing way. Awesome and funny last sentence btw!

Last edited by chessgeek; 10-27-2014 at 10:05 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Well I don't know why it bothers you so much. Minnesotans are snobs and don't care about Cleveland. Case closed. You're never going to convince anyone here that Cleveland is worth thinking about. Nobody else in the country cares about Cleveland (or the Twin Cities, for that matter) either.
I actually did provide a compliment (replied to Cleverfield actually) about Cleveland getting Lebron back in another thread and had also posted some nice comments several months ago about their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the cleaner Cuyahoga River these days. However, he apparently won't be satisfied until people say Cleveland is on their top 5 list IMO. However, the Twin Cities are growing and far more thriving economically and in other ways as well.

If it makes him feel better, I did correctly pick the Browns over the Raiders in my football pool and actually made them my "guaranteed" pick in the separate survivor pool.

Here is some more evidence that the "provincial, insular" claim is a relic from the Mary Tyler Moore years (early/mid 70's) and earlier. The last 40 years have seen dramatic changes.

There is now a Museum of Russian Art and an African American historical and Civil Rights Museum in Minneapolis. Passport ownership is above the national average. Adoption of South Korean and SE Asian children is higher than average too. Even back in the supposedly more provincial era, Hubert Humphrey got anti-discrimination legislation passed in Minneapolis nearly two decades before most other cities in the late 1940's. Walter Mondale and he were instrumental in the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. By many accounts (and it is mentioned in a couple documentaries) without their support and efforts, passage was doubtful. There is an annual Juneteenth festival in Minneapolis. There was also some opposition from Minneapolis residents (including several that were white) and editors at a local culture/entertainment magazine against a restaurant/bar that was believed to have a dress code designed basically to keep black people away. Whether one agrees or not, it typically would not happen in an insular city.

Those claiming the area to be provincial despite all the information to the contrary are actually more provincial and closed minded themselves IMO!

As for athletes, Alan Page who played for the Minnesota Vikings from 1967-1978 rates for more respect than LeBron James in my book. He is a justice in the Minnesota Supreme Court. He is the only professional athlete to have done that to my knowledge. It is worthy of our respect!

Case closed!

Last edited by chessgeek; 10-27-2014 at 11:26 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 11:20 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,130,432 times
Oy, I just have to shake my head and move on, you guys are really really blind to reality, and so stuck up that you can't see the reality that your token council-people of color, and token ethnic museums do not an ethnically diverse city make. The fact that 215 people took the time to post largely the same set of complaints on a page (the first hit when you search hate minneapolis), actually does say something. You can also continue to cling to the myth that population growth somehow makes a better city. I'm not even going to bring Cleveland into this discussion anymore, because that's not the point of this thread, and you people will clearly never understand why there are so many people who actually love this city (not boosters). You have your lily white, clean, safe metropolis. We have our culturally rich, faded, gilded age city that's now reviving itself. To each his own. No city is perfect for everyone, clearly. Your city is great for you guys, my city is great for me. So let's respect those differences, and move on, unless you're too stuck up to believe that someone who's not a booster can love a city that's not named Minneapolis.

So let's get back to the point of this discussion, Minnesotan's snobbishness. Are they snobby? Unquestionably. And that's demonstrated by the fact that they put down and insult literally every state and metro area that's not named Chicago.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 10-27-2014 at 11:31 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 06:04 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,448,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
You are discounting Cleverfield's previous persona he first presented some years ago as evidenced by this early thread, such a sweet boy back then...something went frighteningly wrong with his turtle, and he now blames us for it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...orthfield.html
You must spread more reputation around before giving it to Ghengis again.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:50 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
You must spread more reputation around before giving it to Ghengis again.
Same thing happened to me. And when I tried to rep you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul