Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 26,053 times

Advertisements

Everytime winter comes around, I can't help get the feeling of wanting to abandon ship. Minnesota is beautiful, 6 months out of the year... but I feel like I'm wasting half my life by justifying this statement. Like everyone else, when it's cold out - I spend my days inside watching television, reading, on the internet, etc. (winter activities are well, cold and boring for the most part and I don't enjoy being outside in negative ten degree weather)

I'm thinking florida, as I spent some time there a couple summers back and loved it. (never experienced a hurricane, but I'm pretty sure I slept through one of their "tropical storms") besides, I love wind, rain, and thunderstorms as well as hot weather, and an ocean always nearby so I think florida sounds perfect! Not to mention, they're finally a blue state.

Anyways, I saw something like this posted on another states forum, and found it interesting. so Here goes...

Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now?

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why?

Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota?

Question 4. What will you miss most about minnesota?

And a survey for those that already left minnesota...

Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota?

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why?

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota?

Question 4. What do you miss the least?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 PM

288 posts, read 812,607 times
I felt like you for years. Spring comes around and you feel pretty good but by October it's like "here we go again". I finally twisted my reluctant wife's arm into moving down here last summer.

So, to answer your questions, from the point of view of someone that's already left...

1-I spent pretty much my entire life in south central MN.

2-Georgetown, TX. Mild winters, decent economy, feels "at home". For better or worse, much of the scenery around here could pass for southern MN.

3-Friends, family and our church. Wish we could've taken them with!

4-Winter, mosquitoes, did I mention the winters???? It's in the 70's and sunny out right now. I'll gladly take the summer heat over winter cold!

As an aside, I will say that anywhere you go, no matter how perfect it may seem at first has some "warts". There's some parts of TX culture I don't quite get and maybe never will, but overall I'd make the move again and have a hard time seeing myself living in MN again. I'm definitely glad we ended up here and not somewhere in the desert like we were originally considering!

Old 11-13-2008, 03:59 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,480,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Of Oz View Post
And a survey for those that already left minnesota...

1) Highland, St Paul
2) Boulder, Colorado - to get out of MN and for a job
3) Tax-free shopping, easy access to theatres, museums, etc, thunderstorms
4) 4+ months of SNOW, ICE, -20º WINDCHILL - need I go on?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:01 PM

8 posts, read 26,053 times
Glad to hear you enjoyed your move... The only thing I think I'll miss here is family and a couple select friends who will hopefully come visit if I ever do get out of here. The mosquitos haven't been too bad the past couple years though, either that or I've become accustomed to it and barely noticed the blood suckers... which could be the case. It did snow recently, and although it didn't stick around too long it's definitely not 70 and sunny here. =(

Thanks for sharing! Anyone else care to join in?... oh, someone already did.

Isn't it freezing in colorado too though chilaili?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:21 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,480,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Of Oz View Post
Glad to hear you enjoyed your move... The only thing I think I'll miss here is family and a couple select friends who will hopefully come visit if I ever do get out of here. The mosquitos haven't been too bad the past couple years though, either that or I've become accustomed to it and barely noticed the blood suckers... which could be the case. It did snow recently, and although it didn't stick around too long it's definitely not 70 and sunny here. =(

Thanks for sharing! Anyone else care to join in?... oh, someone already did.

Isn't it freezing in colorado too though chilaili?
Not even close to what you get in Minnesota! Yes, it gets cold and the wind blows but only for a few hours and you don't get -20º windchill. Yes, it snows, but only in the mountains does it stick for more than 24 hours. Winter doesn't really get going until late November/early December and is usually over and done by March. If you're above 9000ft you're going to experience icy temperatures but not down on the Front Range where Denver is.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:28 PM

288 posts, read 812,607 times
From our experience, don't count on too many friends coming, unfortunately.

On the other hand, my in-laws visited last winter and decided to move down here. So you never know, depending where you go, some friends or relatives may follow. Besides us, I hear similar stories from others around here.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:42 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,999,375 times
1. South Minneapolis
2. Venice, CA to work in the film industry, and because I like Los Angeles.
3. Family, friends, the lakes, and the Minnesota Twins!!!
4. Weather

Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 PM

120 posts, read 471,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Not even close to what you get in Minnesota! Yes, it gets cold and the wind blows but only for a few hours and you don't get -20º windchill. Yes, it snows, but only in the mountains does it stick for more than 24 hours. Winter doesn't really get going until late November/early December and is usually over and done by March. If you're above 9000ft you're going to experience icy temperatures but not down on the Front Range where Denver is.
The winter of 2006-07 here in Denver was not unlike a Mn one. Cold and the snow stayed on the ground for months from Dec15-March 30th.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,256,878 times
Quote:
South Minneapolis. Mostly in the Whittier neighborhood. The Carag neighborhood as well.

Quote:
Portland, ME. Mainly because I wanted to live by the ocean again, but did not want to go back to California. Ruled Oregon and Washington out as well. Also, for school. And I always felt like an outsider for ten years. It was time to go. It is also really close to Boston.

Quote:
Friends. The scenery around certain parts of the city. The thrift stores.

Quote:
The humidity. The liquor laws. Minnesota Nice.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,579,208 times
Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now?
Beautiful and scenic Duluth.

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why?
Phoenix, AZ area. Either Tempe or Scottsdale suburb. I want to move there because I went there and fell in love with the place. Mountains and palm trees. The feel of the place is just wonderful.

Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota?
The falls, winters, and springs. Even the summers kinda suck. It's just, the weather is too cold and unpredictable. My days off usually had bad weather. Under 65 can be pretty cold to me. Though, even 60 sounds good right now.

Question 4. What will you miss most about minnesota?
The lakes absolutely everywhere. Lake Superior, mostly. Duluth is a very beautiful city. The only thing is, there's no future here. Jobs are just...non existant. The weather is way too cold and unpredictable. Summers can be good. This last summer was a joke, though.

I hope to move to Phoenix within 3 years (once I'm done with school), so, I'm just hopeful. =) Until then, I gotta stick out the unbearable winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul