Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 PM

45 posts, read 170,567 times

Advertisements

Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now?
South of New Brighton

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why?
LA or San Diego, leaning towards San Diego. I came out here for a couple month visit and loved. Loved the weather, the people I bumped into, ability to ride my motorcycle YEAR ROUND. Palm trees. Ocean.

Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota?
No why. I have no qualms with the fine state. In fact, I like it. I am young and want to see something new, that's all. I won't lie though, shorts, sandles, and Tshirt in December is pretty awesome.

Question 4. What will you miss most about minnesota?
Friends. That's it. And family of course. Friends and family is it. I like snow, I like cold. I like bundling up in the winter and feeling impervious to the elements. I like justifying having a four wheel drive truck, not like the people out here in CA who get one "just because". On that note, "cheap" gas. I like lakes and trees and fall colors and thunderstorms. (If I list anything else I'll talk myself out of this move)

I fully intend on coming back after... who knows? The midwest is certainly my home. Atmosphere said it best, "Follow the dream doesn't mean leave the love, roam if you must, but come home when you've seen enough."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,866 times
Atmosphere says alot of things best.
For what it's worth, I would go to Los Angeles. If you are looking for new experiences, there will be more of them in LA. It isn't much more expensive than San Diego, gets the same weather and has the benefit of being...well....Los Angeles.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 AM

75 posts, read 575,163 times
Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now? Minneapolis
Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why? I already moved and currently live in NY.
Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota? The boredom and loneliness of living in Minnesota. Nothing to do and hard to make friends.
I kinda miss the easy/simpler life. NY has its own set of problems. Its crazy congested and even the smallest things you have to compete. Find an affordable nice apartment in nice area and you have to be there in 0.0001 seconds or its gone. In MN, I go to interviews and they treat you like a human being but here you are just a number and everything is impersonal. The upside is that the quality of women, diversity and fun things to do can't be beat and I guess thats why I came here. I also miss my son in MN but not the psycho ex.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:06 PM

45 posts, read 170,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Atmosphere says alot of things best.
For what it's worth, I would go to Los Angeles. If you are looking for new experiences, there will be more of them in LA. It isn't much more expensive than San Diego, gets the same weather and has the benefit of being...well....Los Angeles.

Thanks for the tip. It's still up in the air. It seems, from my searching at least, that I can live closer to the ocean in San Diego for cheaper than in LA. Maybe I've not had a good sample of apartments from which I've looked, who knows. You're right though, LA is LA.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:20 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,866 times
I always thought that the ocean was overrated, hence my preference for LA.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:05 PM

82 posts, read 365,350 times
Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota? GREW UP IN NORTH CENTRAL MN, LIVED IN DULUTH FOR 11, THEN WHITE BEAR LAKE FOR 3.

Question 2. Where did you move to? O'AHU HAWAII and why? SPOUSES JOB

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota? THE SEASONS. BUT ALSO THE PEOPLE, THE EASE OF LIVING, TARGET, THE CLEANLINESS,

Question 4. What do you miss the least? THE MONTHS BETWEEN NEW YEARS AND GARDEN PLANTING.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 PM

41 posts, read 191,349 times
Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota?
St. Louis Park, Bloomington, and Burnsville

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why?
Phoenix, AZ. To get a change of environment, for something different. Also, see question 4.

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota?
family, friends, fall and springtime. the lakes in the summer.

Question 4. What do you miss the least?
WINTER. Sad that the crappiest season is also the longest. Also, mosquitoes, humidity, and expensive housing prices (even now, especially compared to AZ), lack of fresh local produce certain times of the year, no mountains.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 AM

297 posts, read 842,229 times
Question 1. Where in Minnesota do you live now?
Minneapolis 'burb of Minnetonka

Away. Ok. Ok. Probably Chicago (hometown, lots of friends, family, CULTURE!, but only slightly better weather-ugh) or somewhere warm like Dallas or Atlanta.

I don't think MN is a place I would've ever chosen for myself. My parents moved here when I was 15. It's cold. 6 months of winter most years. A minimum of 5. That's just not right. Not welcome to non-natives. On the surface, things are honky-dory, but you won't develop real friendships like they have with the folks' they've known since they were 3 (because they've lived in Woodbury their ENTIRE life). The lack of black folks. Blah, blah, blah, I know...we're wrong to want to do stuff with other black people...blah, blah, blah. Whatever. We aren't even on the tour map for a lot of concerts, theatre, etc, predominantly featuring Black folks (like a NY, Chicago, Atl would be). Tired of my kids being the "onlies". 25 kids in his class & my son is the only black boy, oy vey.

The only thing that I can admit to is the fact that it pretty much takes around 20 minutes to travel ANYWHERE in the metro in non-rush hour traffic.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:48 PM

46 posts, read 161,811 times

1. Flip flop between White Bear Lake and St. Paul (off 280 and University)

2. Scottsdale, AZ. Warmer, prettier, more golf courses.

3. Cold, hippie liberal attitudes, political rallies, weather in general, liquor stores closed on Sundays.

4. Mall of America, Twins/Vikings/Wild games.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,218 times
Can't believe you miss Mall of America now that you are in Scottsdale. Check out Fashion Square and you'll find you can forget about MoA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miley Cyrus View Post

1. Flip flop between White Bear Lake and St. Paul (off 280 and University)

2. Scottsdale, AZ. Warmer, prettier, more golf courses.

3. Cold, hippie liberal attitudes, political rallies, weather in general, liquor stores closed on Sundays.

4. Mall of America, Twins/Vikings/Wild games.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul