Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 06:45 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33kGoddess View Post

Question 3. Why do you want to leave Minnesota?
The People
Even the relatives I have in the area couldn't be bothered to extend an invitation to us less than half a dozen times in 10 years. For social people like my husband and myself, it has been frustrating and lonely.

The Weather:
We spend several months out of each year running from building to car - car to building...
I thought this was interesting and shed some light on our exchange on the other thread. Let's see. You spend all winter indoors and even your relatives don't want to hang out with you. Of course. The problem is not you! It's the awful people in Minnesota!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 PM

41 posts, read 141,318 times
And a survey for those that already left minnesota...

Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota? Twin Cities

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why? Philadelphia

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota? basically nothing except the live music scene

Question 4. What do you miss the least?[/quote]
the locals

Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved1986 View Post
And a survey for those that already left minnesota...

Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota? Twin Cities

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why? Philadelphia

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota? basically nothing except the live music scene

Question 4. What do you miss the least?
the locals[/quote]

Another Philadelphia immigrant! I thought that I was the only one. People look at me like I'm weird when I say I lived in Minnesota. One guy asked me "Is that near Wisconsin?" What brought you to Philly?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 AM

49 posts, read 100,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I thought this was interesting and shed some light on our exchange on the other thread. Let's see. You spend all winter indoors and even your relatives don't want to hang out with you. Of course. The problem is not you! It's the awful people in Minnesota!
...and here comes the oh-so-predictable "Let's-blame-the-individuals-facing-the-difficulties" response to this problem?

(For those not following the other thread, Glenfield is purposely ignoring the points where we do not spend all winter indoors, and have actually been quite active in the community. Rather, he's cherry-picking comments to support his worldview. Not a Minnesotan-only trait, I grant you, but one I've seen here far more than any other part of the world.)

Glenfield: So, I suppose everyone else who have had the problems we've discussed -- you know, who have spoken on this forum, and via the other links we provided -- were all in the wrong, too?

Wow.

Cannot. Wait. To. Leave.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,474 times
Man, somebody's got issues today. He's even turning against the people on his own side - across two threads. No wonder he has trouble making friends.

Walk away from the computer, get some hot chocolate and enjoy the pretty winter scene outside.

Last edited by audadvnc; 02-03-2011 at 07:39 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Man, somebody's got issues today. He's even turning against the people on his own side - across two threads. No wonder he has trouble making friends.

Walk away from the computer, get some hot chocolate and enjoy the pretty winter scene outside.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 PM

55 posts, read 126,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Of Oz View Post
Question 1. Where in Minnesota do you live now?

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why?

Question 3. Why do you want to leave Minnesota?

Question 4. What will you miss most about Minnesota?
1) Mankato, MN

2) Los Angeles (but I'm open to other places as well): Because people are a lot more outgoing. A lot of my family is originally from CA and moving back. There is a lot to do. The weather isn't bad plus the mountains and ocean are great. There are far more jobs and better opportunities for someone in my profession. The smog sucks and the traffic is pretty ****, but they don't bother me too much. Los Angeles is kind of a mess but I like it, I feel happy to wake up in the morning there.

3) There are too many unfriendly people, it's not easy to make lasting relationships. Minnesota nice really is just people being overly polite and to me that is annoying. Heavy drinking is far too prevalent and one of the only youth activities. Not enough religious diversity outside of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The landscape is boring and has been completely ravaged by farming. I personally don't like the snow or the cold. I have a total of 2 relatives here and only 2 good friends.

4) Maybe some time away will make me appreciate it more, but right now I can't think of anything. I think if you stay anywhere too long you get sick of it. Minnesota is a great place for a lot of people and I have respect for that, it's just not a great place for me anymore.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 AM

514 posts, read 765,511 times
Cool huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I always thought that the ocean was overrated, hence my preference for LA.
Los Angeles doesn't have ocean?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 PM

514 posts, read 765,511 times
My wife was from Roseville and I was from Nebraska. We met in college and after we were married lived in Minneapolis. I worked in downtown. After seeing 'How the West was Won' and perusing a Christmas issue of Arizona Highways we left Minnesota in the middle of Winter and arrived in Phoenix. We eventually moved to San Diego. We left because of the weather, the poor quality of the church college we attended and the bland Midwestern scenery. At the time we left, Minnesotans were very provincial. My college roommate thought that the whole U.S. had weather like Minnesota. My wife's family had not a clue. Since leaving, I've come to respect some Minnesotans' love for winter. My brother-in-law is one of them. But it's not for us and the best winter experiences we've had are in California. The mountains near Los Angeles get more snow than Minnesota and have real mountain ski resorts. And the Sierra Nevada get 300-650" a year. We spent a couple of days at Grant's Grove once. There were a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Overnight 2-3 ft more fell. We were the first to get up in the morning and go to the grove of giant sequoias. No footprints, just new snow and the living, breathing, ancient sequoias. It was one the most moving experiences of our lives. Today, it's going to be about 75 degrees at the beaches and my son can look out his condo window and see snow up north. If he was of a mind to do it he could go up there and ski or snowboard and come back here to surf in the gorgeous Pacific Ocean. That's why there are nearly 40 million of us even though the eastern third of the state is nearly uninhabitable. No disrespect at all to Minnesota or its people. Just different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:01 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,955 times
Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now?
Minneapolis,MN.

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why?
Either to Seattle for Graduate school or NYC because of it's attraction I guess. No reason to move there, really.

Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota?
Uh. I like to travel and same answer as #2.

Question 4. What will you miss most about minnesota?
The fact that we don't tax on clothes (or food, I don't remember), my friends and family, the clean environment compare to other cities, the Boundary Waters, and the culture overall. Of course, I'll miss the snow but not the freezy weather, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul