Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
i drive slow in western wisconsin too. they love to pull minnesotans over...
As long as you're in the right lane than its no problem

Minnesota is cracking down on speedy Wisconsin drivers aswell. I see MN State troopers literally right on the state line looking for speeders, Even Washington County Sheriffs are out on 94......... Not a good place to speed lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,883,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Alot of Minnesotans say Wisconsinites are slow drivers but when im driving on 94 in Wisconsin there is always some idiot with Minnesota plates in the left lane holding up traffic.
Uhhhh...no! It's the other way around. Actally, it could be either, but Wisconsinites REFUSE to move out of the left lane and if you pass them on the right they speed up. I can't say Minnesotans do that as much. When in doubt, if somebody is driving terribly in or near the Twin Cities, Wisconsinites seem to always come through for me!

Let's put it this way: Wisconsinites are bad drivers in RURAL areas (like Western WI). Maybe they're better around Madison or Milwaukee? I know rural MN's are bad drivers...

Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
i drive slow in western wisconsin too. they love to pull minnesotans over...
Totally! Except Illinois drivers always take up the slack for us if they're around, since they usually go between 80 and 110, in spurts. I love (and hate) the way they drive! I USED TO go 80-85 to/from Chicago through Wisconsin, but since they changed their rules so that State Trooper vehicles can turn parallel to on-coming traffic AND turn their lights off (even in the dark), it's next to impossible to spot them now and I've been pulled over 2-3 times in a 2 year span. Now I go 70-75, but sometimes get impatient and will "make up time" in long straightaways or something.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
Is this topic a joke? For all the decades I've lived here, I've yet to see "slow"drivers. When there were 70 mph highways, the traffic was going 80. You can pretty much rely on a 15 to 20 mph over legal speed by a big portion of the traffic. And they'll definitely be climbing up your rear end if you obey the posted speed.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 AM

411 posts, read 993,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Is this topic a joke? For all the decades I've lived here, I've yet to see "slow"drivers. When there were 70 mph highways, the traffic was going 80. You can pretty much rely on a 15 to 20 mph over legal speed by a big portion of the traffic. And they'll definitely be climbing up your rear end if you obey the posted speed.
Other day I was going close to 70 in a 55 and was being passed left and right.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
I think it really varies by road. Some roads are just more patrolled than others and speeds are closer to the speed limit. 35W in and out of Minneapolis is pretty much 70 and those driving 55 are kind of a hazard on the road, sadly enough. 35E south of 494, people drive 65 in a posted 70, why, I don't know. 494 around the south side of town, 65-70 is pretty much the norm (posted 60) but get over by Woodbury and where it turns to 696 and if you aren't going 70+ you are getting passed by old people .

94 is a mixed bag and varies day to day. Some days everyone seems to be driving 50, other days 70.

Crosstown is pretty consistent, 63 (55 posted) keeps you moving along with traffic, barring the occasional foreign car driving 40 in the left lane.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Other day I was going close to 70 in a 55 and was being passed left and right.
I hope most of you know that it is a law to move over for faster-moving traffic to pass you on the left, even if you're speeding yourself....In Chicago they are actually enforcing this so left-lane hogs don't create accidents by having people pass them on the right. "Interstate law" is even more important, and you should ONLY use the left lane for passing, unless congestion is so high that both lanes need to be used. Anyone who does NOT understand these rules can and WILL be aggressively tailgated, cut off, or even pulled over by the troopers!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 AM

411 posts, read 993,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I hope most of you know that it is a law to move over for faster-moving traffic to pass you on the left, even if you're speeding yourself....
Well yeah. I was in the center lane.

Lately I've dealt with tailgaters by slowing down to a nice comfortable 45 mph. Usually gets them to go around you.

Last edited by golfgal; 04-13-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 AM

989 posts, read 2,962,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I hope most of you know that it is a law to move over for faster-moving traffic to pass you on the left, even if you're speeding yourself....In Chicago they are actually enforcing this so left-lane hogs don't create accidents by having people pass them on the right. "Interstate law" is even more important, and you should ONLY use the left lane for passing, unless congestion is so high that both lanes need to be used. Anyone who does NOT understand these rules can and WILL be aggressively tailgated, cut off, or even pulled over by the troopers!
Do they have a lot of left exits and generally crappy interstates in Chitown? The cobbled together interstate in this metro is full of stuff that is not up to spec. There are far too many situations where person must be in left lane to get where they are going. I-94 east to 280 North - try taking that sucker at 75 mph.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
I hope most of you know that it is a law to move over for faster-moving traffic to pass you on the left, even if you're speeding yourself....quote]

Well yeah. I was in the center lane.

Lately I've dealt with tailgaters by slowing down to a nice comfortable 45 mph. Usually gets them to go around you.
Driving in the center lane is the proper driving lane. I wouldn't worry about it. The right lane is exit/entrance lane, left for passing. If more people followed this, there would be less traffic jams...

Last edited by golfgal; 04-13-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul