Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:30 PM

207 posts, read 798,320 times

Advertisements

Since I'm planning to go with my significant other to tour St. Paul then I will most likely end up eating at Boca Chica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer John View Post
As for St. Paul, the West Side has some pretty good options. The area around Robert St. and Caesar Chavez is a great place to just walk around and explore. The aforementioned Boca Chica is good, along with La Fonda and El Burrito Mercado. All of these are very reasonably priced.

Some other resources you might find helpful for finding restaurants/bars/stuff to do in the Twin Cities:

Heavy Table
City Pages (also available in print)
Yelp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM

493 posts, read 1,446,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk123 View Post
Taqueria Los Ocampo 920 E. Lake St. Minneapolis -really good basic Mexican food
Second this suggestion. My wife and I were in Minneapolis for a few days a few weeks ago, and we always try out the local places and microbreweries when in a new city. One of the valets at our hotel put us onto it.

Taqueria Los Ocampo is more authentic than many of the independent Mexican restaurants we go to in southern California.

They also have a huge variety of meats and dishes.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:43 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel_009 View Post
I love authentic Mexican food. It was rather hard to come by in Toronto (but I found a few places I liked) and there seems to be a lot of options here, so I just want to hear what people have to say about what is "the best". The criteria here is authenticity, so only authentic mexican food lovers need reply to this post! I'm also looking for a place that is quaint and cute, and where the food isn't excessively greasy. My significant other is visiting in two weeks and I was hoping to go out with him somewhere. We are also hoping to hit up an Indian resto, so suggestions about that are welcome as well. I hear restaurant week is coming up, but it seems that the participating restaurants are mostly the high profile ones in the downtown area, although perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps that isn't the best guide to good food in the Twin Cities.

And while I'm at it, I am also VERY curious about whether there are good authentic German/Bavarian or perhaps "Scandinavian" restaurants?? Again, German/Austrain food/baked goods was hard to come by in Toronto because for some reason the Toronto German community left for a nearby suburb some time ago. There was once an amazing Austrian dessert establishment that I used to visit sometimes with my dad but sadly they closed up shop last year.
For authentic Mexican food, you should check out the Mercado Central on Lake Avenue. Their website is here: COOPERATIVA MERCADO CENTRAL Authentic Latin American Marketplace . They're basically a space for Latin American (almost all Mexican) oriented businesses to set up shop. The crowd inside is almost all Mexican, and you'll find a tortilleria (which does pozole and menudo as well), taqueria, Mexican sandwich shop, a Mexican bakery, sweets shop, pupuseria (Salvadoran), and three or four other "restaurants". (Try the atole from the tamale shop). There's a lot of other stuff there too.

As for Indian, there are a ton of South Asian restaurants in the Twin Cities, even in the suburbs. Those which get a lot of good reviews include "Kabobs" in Bloomington ( Home ), "Great India" ( Indian restaurant offering delicious Indian food. Brooklyn Center, Minnesota. - Home) in Brooklyn Center, and (especially for authenticity) the one across from the Indian grocery store at 18th & Central Ave NE in Minneapolis itself. South Indian food can be had at Nala Pak in Columbia Heights ( Nalapak Indian Restaurant - Columbia Hts USA (http://www.nalapak.com/menu.html - broken link) ) and perhaps a few other places, Nepali at Everest on Grand ( Everest on Grand | Nepali and Tibetan cuisine ) in St. Paul and other restaurants, and Sri Lankan at Sambol ( Best Indian Cuisine in the Twin Cities ) in Eagan.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
For authentic Mexican food, you should check out the Mercado Central on Lake Avenue. Their website is here: COOPERATIVA MERCADO CENTRAL Authentic Latin American Marketplace . They're basically a space for Latin American (almost all Mexican) oriented businesses to set up shop. The crowd inside is almost all Mexican, and you'll find a tortilleria (which does pozole and menudo as well), taqueria, Mexican sandwich shop, a Mexican bakery, sweets shop, pupuseria (Salvadoran), and three or four other "restaurants". (Try the atole from the tamale shop). There's a lot of other stuff there too.
I second this suggestion but it's on E Lake St and Bloomington Ave, not "Lake Avenue." We go to Mercado Central regularly, I recommend the tamales and the pozole.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:32 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I second this suggestion but it's on E Lake St and Bloomington Ave, not "Lake Avenue." We go to Mercado Central regularly, I recommend the tamales and the pozole.
Ha, Lake Avenue is in Duluth. Sorry. I did mean "Lake Street"

Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'm overwhelmed with choices.....!

Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 PM

67 posts, read 148,947 times
We have a HUGE African population so go to Riverside in East MPLS for african food
We also have Popeye's on W Lake ST
Great local Mexican restraunts would be in W St Paul
Since we have a huge Hmong/Asian population there are good restraunts at St Paul

Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
taco taxi, son.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 PM

Okay, if you had to say what is the most "top quality" Mexican restaurant -- I know that is subjective to a certain extent, but I mean authentic, well presented food and nice atmosphere -- what would it be? And would it be in St. Paul or Minneapolis? El Burrito Mercado sounds good but from what I can gather from what's been said here and on the website, it's more of a cafeteria style environment. I want to have a little bit more ambience, since I won't see my boyfriend for a while after this. We want to go out and eat good food, but we also want to linger a bit and have good conversation over wine, etc....

Old 09-24-2009, 07:51 PM

88 posts, read 301,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel_009 View Post
Okay, if you had to say what is the most "top quality" Mexican restaurant -- I know that is subjective to a certain extent, but I mean authentic, well presented food and nice atmosphere -- what would it be? And would it be in St. Paul or Minneapolis? El Burrito Mercado sounds good but from what I can gather from what's been said here and on the website, it's more of a cafeteria style environment. I want to have a little bit more ambience, since I won't see my boyfriend for a while after this. We want to go out and eat good food, but we also want to linger a bit and have good conversation over wine, etc....
I can speak to some of the St. Paul choices. You're right, El Burrito Mercado is basically a cafeteria line. That said it's in a really cool, bustling, vibrant market stocked with authentic goods. But you probably won't get the sit down environment you may be looking for. Boca Chica and La Fonda would be better for that. Boca Chica can sometimes get the after work happy hour type of vibe depending when you go but it's still good and has a decent sized menu. La Fonda's menu is smaller and the atmosphere is much more quaint. They do serve some tasty, less common food/drink though in my opinion. I've only had it once but it gets my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul