Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Okay way off topic. We are talking about 20's and 30's black singles in Minneapolis.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times
I already posted where a bunch of them hang out, but somebody deleted it.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Yeah but North Carolina has enough "damn Yankees" to where it looks like a heathen's paradise compared to Alabama. If you thought NC was overly religious, don't come to Alabama (or anywhere else in the Deep South - GA, SC, MS, LA, AR).
I've heard there is a huge difference between the rural south and the suburban south, though, and we've not experienced any religious pressure since we moved into the Atlanta area three years ago... FWIW.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 PM

539 posts, read 1,924,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I've heard there is a huge difference between the rural south and the suburban south, though, and we've not experienced any religious pressure since we moved into the Atlanta area three years ago... FWIW.

1) That first statement is not true. The only difference b/w rural south and suburban south is that suburban southerners are rednecks with money, and that rural southerners are rednecks without money. Their ideologies, beliefs, etc. are essentially the same.

2) If you don't mind me asking, what are your beliefs? If you're Christian (specifically Baptist or Methodist) I'd expect you to have it easy anywhere in Georgia.

_

Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
1) That first statement is not true. The only difference b/w rural south and suburban south is that suburban southerners are rednecks with money, and that rural southerners are rednecks without money. Their ideologies, beliefs, etc. are essentially the same.
Perhaps my experience is due to the large number of transplants I've tended to encounter down here. Who knows?

Quote:
2) If you don't mind me asking, what are your beliefs? If you're Christian (specifically Baptist or Methodist) I'd expect you to have it easy anywhere in Georgia.
My wife is an eclectic Wiccan/Pagan type (use Google if that means nothing to you), and while my own upbringing was Presbyterian and most of the core values I was taught growing up actually stuck (things like the Golden Rule seem like common sense to me), I'm far too skeptical of the various dogmatic and faith-related aspects of Christianity to consider myself such.

I'm actually not sure my belief system would be easy to describe because I'm far more interested in learning about the belief systems of others than I am in trying to find one of my own. The description in my profile isn't inaccurate, though.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:20 AM

55 posts, read 283,926 times
This thread got hijacked.

I see nothing has changed in Minneapolis. Glad I'm in Atlanta now!

Old 12-23-2007, 09:04 AM

481 posts, read 1,818,081 times
Wow ... just too much to read thorugh.

No specifics, but I know there's at least one free newspaper for the black community, so there would be advertising and maybe some articles to go through. I don't remember the name (Spokesman Recorder?) but you should be able to find it in the usual places (libraries, community centers, some restaurants in black neighborhoods). And of course there are also church groups.

I don't know why a lot of white people "don't get it". Being black, you ARE treated differently no matter how hard we try not to and sometimes feel ashamed about afterwards, and even in the best of possible situations you're going to want a comfort zone where you can be with people who have shared experiences at the most fundamental level. Its just a basic fact of life. Take a typical white Minnesotan and have them move to even a relatively benign foreign country like the U.K. or Germany for work/family reasons, and they'd be seeking out fellow expat Americans as well.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:16 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
Take a typical white Minnesotan and have them move to even a relatively benign foreign country like the U.K. or Germany for work/family reasons, and they'd be seeking out fellow expat Americans as well.
I assume that I am a typical white Minnesotan. I avoid the majority of American expats like the plugue and associate with mostly locals when living in the Netherlands, Germany, and the Philippines. I especially avoid most of the expats in the Philippines, and that is the most foreign of the 3 cultures to me.

Maybe I am really not as "typical" as I think.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:19 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
I have know idea where black professionals hang out-young or old. There are, however, a few clubs in the Warehouse District that are predominately black, with a few white hats mixed in. Most of these club goers are just out to have a good time, but they do draw in the thugs.

Jazzman's could be cool (and no, I am not telling a black woman to go to a jazz club simply because since she is black she must love jazz). It was just a suggestion in case she (or anyone else) does not want to deal with the white hat/thug shenanigins.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
If blacks are so concerned with meeting blacks then WHY DO THEY LIVE IN MINNESOTA? It's like going to a chinese restaurant then whining because they don't have spaghetti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul