Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 09:14 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times

Advertisements

Has the city of Mobile made any effort to annex Tillman's Corner or the land out to and around the airport? I'm guessing the people living out there have no interest in annexation? Too bad.

It's a strange dynamic I've noticed since moving to this region from Central Florida years ago. Pensacola has much the same issues Mobile has. It's surrounded by unincorporated areas that have no desire to pursue incorporation.

If Pensacola were able to annex Brent, Ferry Pass, Warrington, Myrtle Grove, etc, then it would probably have a similar population to Mobile. But, it's stagnated around 50k for years because there doesn't seem to be any move for annexation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 09:27 AM

489 posts, read 463,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Curious what population Theodore could have. They say a population of 6,000, but ZIP 36582 essentially falls under all of broader Theodore which has a population of over 21k. Which could make it one of our bigger suburbs. I actually think of Theodore as Mobile's version of Metaire in NOLA, a clear suburb of the city but not an official city
Well, the census designated place has a population of around 6,000. The zip code is very large and includes areas that are not typically considered Theodore, such as Tillman's Corner, Dawes, Mon Louis, Fowl River, Hollinger's Island, Belle Fontaine, Bayle's Corner, and portions of the city of Mobile. It might be hard to get all that incorporated due to rivers, city of mobile limits, and local community pride. Plus outside the census designated place the population density decreases a lot.

They would probably have to start small like Semmes. But even Semmes is running into issues with its large size and low population.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Has the city of Mobile made any effort to annex Tillman's Corner or the land out to and around the airport? I'm guessing the people living out there have no interest in annexation? Too bad.

It's a strange dynamic I've noticed since moving to this region from Central Florida years ago. Pensacola has much the same issues Mobile has. It's surrounded by unincorporated areas that have no desire to pursue incorporation.

If Pensacola were able to annex Brent, Ferry Pass, Warrington, Myrtle Grove, etc, then it would probably have a similar population to Mobile. But, it's stagnated around 50k for years because there doesn't seem to be any move for annexation.
About 10 years ago when Sam Jones was mayor, the neighborhoods around Boykin Park, Old Pascagoula Road, and Carol Plantation Road approached the city and had a few discussions with the city. These were predominantly African American neighborhoods. I have no idea why it didn't go anywhere.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:22 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,216,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
Well, the census designated place has a population of around 6,000. The zip code is very large and includes areas that are not typically considered Theodore, such as Tillman's Corner, Dawes, Mon Louis, Fowl River, Hollinger's Island, Belle Fontaine, Bayle's Corner, and portions of the city of Mobile. It might be hard to get all that incorporated due to rivers, city of mobile limits, and local community pride. Plus outside the census designated place the population density decreases a lot.

They would probably have to start small like Semmes. But even Semmes is running into issues with its large size and low population.

Mon Louis, Fowl River , Bellefontaine, Baley's corner, and I believe Hollinget's Island all fall under the "city" Theodore (very confused as a kid when I found out Theodore wasn't actually a city lol) Theodore could go by like what Semmes is doing and do Enclaves and small patches of incorporation just going off Laurdine RD can get them access to Bellfontaine and Fowlriver

Old 07-20-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Mobile has become very ambitious about annexation, attempting to annex nearly 20k last year, but a single city council vote got in the way, their needs to be a super majority of 5-2 but failed with 4-3. The 3 seems very unlikely to even add at 10 people to the city limits. This upcoming election will likely be the most important election in a generation, 3 council members are giving up their seats this election, 2 of them were pro annexation and 1 anti annexation, I imagine the 2 will be replaced by pro annexation seats. The big seat is the anti annexation one, if we can just get that seat pro-annex, It will likely change the course of the city. Mobile could be as ambitious as Huntsville and quickly become the biggest city in the state

Old 07-20-2021, 02:21 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Mobile could be as ambitious as Huntsville and quickly become the biggest city in the state
That's all good but we also need non organic growth. When Sam annexed the city grew from 192k to 195k. And now we're in the 180s. 90% of the population lost went into the unincorporated areas in the county. That's why non organic growth is just as important.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:37 PM

260 posts, read 201,872 times
I feel like Theodore would be a rather poor city that would struggle to keep up with city services. I hate to disparage the people there, but the area size is too big, too rural, and too poor for it to realistically incorporate. How are they gonna pave their roads, pay their police officers, firefighters, etc when they city would be as dense as skim milk?

Old 07-20-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
I feel like Theodore would be a rather poor city that would struggle to keep up with city services. I hate to disparage the people there, but the area size is too big, too rural, and too poor for it to realistically incorporate. How are they gonna pave their roads, pay their police officers, firefighters, etc when they city would be as dense as skim milk?

They don't have to start out with all the service from the get go, Semmes has been around for 10 years and is just now getting a police department. Also Fowl River and Bellfontaine are relatively wealthy, so this would likely be a staple of their tax base, not to mention Bellingrath Road is currently going through suburbination, with I believe 3 high end subdivisions under constructions. The average income is just $1000 lower than Mobile for the broader Theodore area

Old 07-20-2021, 03:02 PM

Really it comes down to where they incorporate, if they don't incorporate Bellfontaine, Fowl River, and Bellingrath from the get go, they are gonna struggle getting off the ground,

Old 07-20-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
That's all good but we also need non organic growth. When Sam annexed the city grew from 192k to 195k. And now we're in the 180s. 90% of the population lost went into the unincorporated areas in the county. That's why non organic growth is just as important.
Yes, unfortunately we only annexed neighborhoods that were in the declining stage of the real estate life cycle back then. I totally agree that we need to grow organically. However, I think it is important to do both. We need to annex while also put policies in place to foster growth in our current neighborhoods. The current administration is trying to do that right now. The organic growth will take years possibly more than a decade to start reaping the benefits. Annexation can be a part of a larger plan to achieve growth in all the districts. That is were I think a lot of the annexation opponents like Finely, Fred, etc. get it completely wrong. It isn't a one or the other (Organic vs. Annexation).....We can do both and find a way how they can the complement each other. Areas that are annexed with surplus revenue can have those funds directed to growth initiatives within the current limits. That will strengthen the city and make the city more desirable for additional organic growth and future annexations. That is how both can contribute to growth in our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area