Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:55 PM

11 posts, read 24,024 times

Advertisements

If you are mad about how our government is running our country? Check out this site. It's called, " I'm made 2". The address is____ http://immade2.com/index.html _____ I met this man last Sat. His wife and daughter have a alpaca farm. He is very fired up about our country. If you are a babybommer, you really need to see his video on line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:28 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve104c View Post
If you are mad about how our government is running our country? Check out this site. It's called, " I'm made 2".
Corrected link:

Defend the Free Enterprise System (http://www.immad2.com/mission.html - broken link)

Can't say I disagree with 'em, nope!

Old 11-13-2009, 02:07 PM

12 posts, read 73,717 times
I often see Prevost tour coaches, more with Montana license plates than any other states. Why is that and where do all of these people live with their million dollar buses?

Old 11-13-2009, 02:39 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydancingangel View Post
I often see Prevost tour coaches, more with Montana license plates than any other states. Why is that and where do all of these people live with their million dollar buses?
In their Prevost Motor Homes

Old 11-13-2009, 02:56 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydancingangel View Post
Probably just a much cheaper place to license them than the owners' home states. Difference can be hundreds of dollars a year!! (Maybe thousands, depending on their state.)

Go to Prevost-stuff.com and look at the coaches for sale, appraisal pages -- first one I looked at was licensed in Montana but the owner lived in Nevada.

In CA you won't get away with that for everyday-use vehicles (sooner or later you'll get a ticket), but for occasional-use vehicles that look like they belong to a tourist... no problem.

My previous tenant did that with her horse trailer -- $30 to license it in Washington state, but over $400 in California!! so she left it listed at her old WA address and kept buying WA plates, and got away with doing so because it almost never left the driveway.

Kind of like how almost all ocean liners are registered out of Liberia, Bermuda, Dutch Antilles, or some other small or 3rd world country (whose total assets may be less than the cost of one ocean liner) rather than out of the U.S. where the fees are MUCH higher. It's a good revenue stream for that small country (at one point, most of Liberia's revenue came from this!) and a savings of millions of dollars for the cruise line, even tho said cruise line does most of its business in the U.S. and/or Europe. But if you don't know this, it looks like everyone in Liberia owns an ocean liner.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,222 times
Default place to live in montana

I lived in montana for over 20 years and moved around for awhile. But as my brother says "you can go anywhere in the world, but montana will always call you home"
one of the nicest places in around the missoula area. you can find almost anything you want there without that crowded feeling. but suggest you check into the stevensville area, the property is cheaper and it's only an hours(roughly) drive to missoula. but it is a very pleasent drive, and you get to go through lolo and grab a beer and a burger at the hayloft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanasfj40 View Post
I'm from California and am thinking about retiring in Montana. I HAVE to get out of this state!!! I've been toying with the idea of Idaho and yesterday I thought about Montana.

I'd be looking for a place with some acreage outside of a larger town. Any ideas what might be a nice place?

Old 03-01-2010, 01:52 PM

15 posts, read 72,710 times
HI,

I am looking into moving to MT from Wisconsin...The snow here is brutal.. we had three feet and it never melted all winter.. for example. Single digits.. sub zero temps. I don't mind cold or snow. I have two dogs.. I am going to be moving myself. Some.. of the blogs ..I read sounds disheartening..about the cost to live in MT. I lived my whole life in NJ.. which is super super expensive.. You need two and three jobs.. Wisconsin..isn't much better.. but.. no car insurance or inspection stations makes it nice. Where is the least expensive towns.. or sub burbs to live? I would like to rent a house.. with a yard.. a two bedroom. I pay now.. for a two bedroom 650.00 plus.. I have to pay all my utilities which brings that up a lot. Wisonsin has no jobs here.. no growth.. a lot of mom and pops that can't or don't want to hire. I am a Esthetician with a license to work in a Spa Or Resort Spa. I see there are many.. not sure what areas I would be best suited to look for work in that area... where I can live also that would be most affordable for a single person who is not going here to retire.. but to start a new life. What about the taxes? I thought there is no sales tax? I heard land .. you can buy inexpensively in areas? I would ultimately want to buy land to have a log cabin built.. but need my stores.. shops.. grocery store..and like art galleries ..knitting.. antique shops and good food/restraunts.. Not into city living.. but.. willing to work where I can easily get back in to where I live. Please Help... Thank You

Old 03-01-2010, 02:07 PM

15 posts, read 72,710 times
Its funny... when I hear people wanting to move...to start over.. and people always.. always say.. its expensive.. To be honest.. the only place that is cheap.. is the deep south somewheres. Texas.. is cheap.. but.. thats if you like the south? I am from the East Coast..Nothing.. compares to the cost of living there except California. Its right behind them. NJ is expensive. So.. I am wanting to know.. everything I can about moving to Montana. I did consider Wyoming.. but.. looking on line.. there seems to be a lot more to do in Montana then Wyoming. Wyoming has tornados as I do in Wisconsin.. tornado alley.. but.. I want away from that. I don't mind the cold.. I know.. for a fact Montana is not nearly as cold and snowy as Wisconsins Brutal sub zero winters and feet of snow upon snow that never melts. Wisconsin charges you 250.00 if your car lands in a ditch.. But.. there is no car insurance or inspection stations there. How is the car insurance prices and are there inspections mandated? Also.. how are the police on the roads.. I visited Texas once.. and they were A holes.. to anyone they stop and aren't nice here. How are the people? Friendly? How are the restraunts.. the sea food.. the varieties..etc? What are the food stores you have out there and are there good bakeries? Here the bakeries are the worse ever.. and so is the pizza unles you go to Chicago. How is the traffic.. roads.? In Wisconsin.. there is alway.. even during Christmas season plenty of space on the roads. We have a lot of inter states and country road highways.. which makes driving less stressful. I re visted NJ and the traffic and population tripled since I had lived there five years ago. Wisconsin is a beautiful ..clean and low low low crime state.. but the jobs and peoples attitudes leave a lot to be desired. The people are rude and backwards.. its just not for me. I miss mountains. Thanks For the Help Leah

Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,590 times
Default Not ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfillednights2010 View Post
HI,
I am looking into moving to MT from Wisconsin...The snow here is brutal.. we had three feet and it never melted all winter.. for example. Single digits.. sub zero temps. I don't mind cold or snow. I have two dogs.. I am going to be moving myself. Some.. of the blogs ..I read sounds disheartening..about the cost to live in MT. I lived my whole life in NJ.. which is super super expensive.. You need two and three jobs.. Wisconsin..isn't much better.. but.. no car insurance or inspection stations makes it nice. Where is the least expensive towns.. or sub burbs to live? I would like to rent a house.. with a yard.. a two bedroom. I pay now.. for a two bedroom 650.00 plus.. I have to pay all my utilities which brings that up a lot. Wisonsin has no jobs here.. no growth.. a lot of mom and pops that can't or don't want to hire. I am a Esthetician with a license to work in a Spa Or Resort Spa. I see there are many.. not sure what areas I would be best suited to look for work in that area... where I can live also that would be most affordable for a single person who is not going here to retire.. but to start a new life. What about the taxes? I thought there is no sales tax? I heard land .. you can buy inexpensively in areas? I would ultimately want to buy land to have a log cabin built.. but need my stores.. shops.. grocery store..and like art galleries ..knitting.. antique shops and good food/restraunts.. Not into city living.. but.. willing to work where I can easily get back in to where I live. Please Help... Thank You
You aren't ready for Montana. Stay in New Jersey or go to a southern state for starters. Let me break down why you will not fit in so that others see why.

1) "We had 3 feet and it never melted". MT gets a fair amount of snow and most of the resort areas are in the mountains where it doesn't melt for months. It is cold but not as wet as in Wisconsin.

2) "WI isn't much better than NJ". It actually has a lower cost of living than NJ but may take some time for you to see.

3) "I have to pay the utilities". The Montanan in me sees this as a major whine. Whining about regular bills such as utilities isn't cool and doesn't speak well of your self reliance. Self reliance is one of the common values of people in the West (not West Coast).

4) "where I can live also that would be most affordable for a single person who is not going here to retire.....I would ultimately want to buy land to have a log cabin built.. but need my stores.. shops.. grocery store..and like art galleries ..knitting.. antique shops and good food/restraunts.. Not into city living.. but.. willing to work where I can easily get back in to where I live." THIS IS THE DISNEYLAND DREAM! What you consider a town is what we consider a major city for Montana. Whining about the art galleries and antique shops when you are in a town of 2,000. It either is a resort area with California pricing or a town like Libby where earnings are entirely dependent on one big employer.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM

155 posts, read 714,649 times
I do have to ask why you want to kick us all in the .... well ....the region? From your blog seems you hate all MT men, But I know I haven't done that much damage in the 24 years I have been on this earth and in this state.

I have lived most of my life in the Billings area (the largest city in MT at 100,000+).

But, if you are considering a move.... I would recommend you visit for sometime. Also just want to point out.... MT is cold, snowy, rural (one of the lowest population densities next to Alaska i think?). It has a country attititude with a little redneck thrown in from time to time. It is full of hard working people with not many jobs available. It is probably not the most worldly cultured region (depending on your point of view) but has a few shop/stores. Also, there are two seasons in MT... road construction and winter.... But overall, I love it and would not live any place else if you paid me. Lived here my whole life, will die here, and will love every minute of it. From the sunsets, to the blue skies, to the mountains, and the -40F in butte, or the -60F w/windchill in Cutbank. Only other place I would like to live would be maybe Alaska!.... maybe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana