Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 01:53 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Congrats, you hit the lotto and found a awsome July day!!!! The weather gods must have been smiling on you!
Yeah..I totally agree.. considering that July when I was tehre preparing there was a HUGE heatwave .. I mean VERY hot (and we were having it outside). Then.. that day of the wedding was the first day that the temp came down to a more tolerable temp. It actually drizzled after the ceremony during dinner and then stopped and was nice again.. it was perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 02:29 PM

495 posts, read 493,641 times
trishtansmom wrote:
Quote:
And.. just for others on this board considering a move to MT>. when you move there as an outsider you must be patient. it will take awhile for you to be accepted. My mom , a native to MT (but not to the small town she moved too.. although my Aunt, Uncle and Cousins have been well ingrained into the neighborhood for probaby 40+ years.. you would think that would give my mom some sort of immediate acceptance) was treated like an outsider. Small towns are VERY clicky.. I've seen it.. and that's not neccesarily a bad thing.. it's also what lends to what is so wonderful about it.. I can't really explain it.. but if you are in it or have observed it you may know.. BUt she eventually became accepted (and is now THE town clerk!! who is now privy to all sorts of information and has a lot of friends) Once they see that you are not there to change their way of life but become a part of it, they'll accept you not fear you and you will become a true Montanian!
Funny you should say that - I couldn't agree more. But for some reason people wanting to move here have this Mayberry notion about moving to a small Montana town, where people are neighborly, friendly, and all. From what I've seen it ain't that way at all. I've lived in small town MT, even after years some people are still looking at you like "what are you doing here", funny I never got that look in a big city, how ironic !
Oh and crime in small towns - in big cities you shoot people you don't know, in small towns you shoot your friends, relatives, family, wife and/or her boyfriend and/or his friends, relatives, family, and/or his wife (ie. your girlfrind) and/or yourself ! Been there done that, minus the shooting !

Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times
On the upside if there's a murder in some of the real small towns the odds of DNA catching the responsible party is zero since there'd be a match to everyone in town!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
I was 16yrs. old when I visited Washington state. It was the most beautiful Place I had ever seen. I told a man that who moved there 25yrs earlier. He told me,"Thank you, it is a beautiful state now you can get the "H" out." He taught me that day, that Being Born American was not good enough. I was crushed to see how a fellow American could lash out such hatred to a child who was just beginning to see new places. I could not hide the fact that I was an Outsider. My VERY STRONG SOUTHERN DRAW, Told everyone I am from Texas.
Although, everyone was extremely nice to me (Except the man) there was a sense of different. I went to Florida that same year. I was again discovered as an outsider. No, one was out-right as Bold as the Washington Man. But, there was the same sense of difference. I have been lucky to have traveled to many places in my youth. When you begin to travel, you begin to learn that every place has its beauty and its unwanted side.
I am an Adult now. I have reflected over my life. I understand now that, I will always be an outsider even in the comfort of my own State-Texas. My draw is less noticed here. It is not my draw or my appearance that frightens people. It is my ability to accept others for who they are, where they came from and allow them to remain true to themselves.
When Katrina Hit Louisana. Many Texans were angry to have ALL the displaced people flood without warning into our State, Schools and Jobs. They took priority For ALL jobs. Then, as you were out at dinner, movie or just at the bookstore you would over hear their conversations. They hated everything about Texas. Now, many Texans were like,"If you dont like it leave." But in truth, they could not. Their homes had been completely wiped off of the face of the Earth.
I think, we ALL feel a sense of loyalty and comfort from the Place we grew up. Thats why home always sounds so good.
It doesnt make the Louisana people bad people. They are sad, angry and bitter. Not at Texas- but the Government who has handled their entire situation. Before Katrina, Texas and Louisana were like sisters. Now, Louisana is unhappy because its sister feels like a stranger.
The right for disappointment in our Government goes deep to many people. Montana is no different. Whether it is Local, State or federal.
Louisana residents coming to Texas was a Natural Disaster, YES, but it was feed by greed. It sounds no different then Montana people wanting to hold on to their slice of the pie. The beauty they see everyday. They values the cherish. Their way of life they everyone else covets.
Be angry- be upset- be stand-offish. You have a beauty everyone else wishes they could see, live and experience. A beauty we ALL wish we could have been born to. A beauty we ALL wish we could call HOME. Just, remember We All did not get to pick where we ended up. So, when we stroll through your Wonderful Home Towns and we are waking to its beauty, we do not mean to take from you anything. We are just like a child beginning to see new places. Some maybe running from someone or something. Others maybe running to it. Some may just want to live out their last days in peace. Peace, they never had a pleasure knowing until they cross into your state.
WE ARE the UNITED STATES of AMERICA... All 50 states are open to each of us. Your Great-Grandparents, Grandparents, Parents, Children, Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren can sample the grass of any of the 50 states they choose. We were born good enough, we were born Americans.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,171,362 times
It's not the people that appreciate it that we get pissed off at, it's the ones that have no respect and want to turn it into something it's not or try to bring the stuff they ran away from here....
Attitude is everything, and it is really tiring to watch things change and people try to steamroller you into the ground just because you don't believe in the system that they try so hard to push down your throat.

Make money money money... thats all well and good for people who are taught from childhood that that's what life is about, but where does it end? When is enough enough? It's not that people here don't like newcomers, its that a lot of us are tired of being lied to and have been ripped off by some big city jack ass that wants to make money off of what has always been here.

Just because the big cities thrive on the almighty dollar and that's what they teach students that's what life is about.... does that make it right?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,500 times
I was thinking about visiting Montana this summer. When I visited in 1970 I found very friendly people and a beautiful place. After reading some of your comments you have become the very people that you want to stay away.
OH! By the way maybe other states should feel concerns about people from Montana moving to our state. I will take all of your garbage, tear down any building you don't want and run off the terrible people, if you will give me back my Son!!!!! It was one of your very friendly peole that killed him and five others two years ago. Your state is like any other state we have pluses and minuses. Some of you sound like minuses. This world does not need anymore hostility. .........Not visiting now.

Thank your for speaking up ! When I say that some people on here make me sound like I'm making it up. "Except Change" they say...personally I don't see where change has much good at all to the state. I nor my children can afford to buy a house in our own town anymore.

AQHA wrote:

It really makes you wonder when your own country won't defend it's own borders, but we have no problem sending our boys to defend Iraq's. I say no one show up for the next federal election, because it doesnt' seem to matter who you vote for anymore, don't show up, that'll send a message, embarrass them in front of the whole world....when no one shows at the voting poles, let the politicians and the whole world know what we think of them. No wonder the Iragies don't want democracy, they see ours. We don't have a 2 party system anymore, we have a 2 familly system, Bush and Clinton (Hitlery is next), we live in a country where you get thrown in jail for disaplining your own children and the state can take them away without so much as a trial,.....If I lived in Iraq, I'd be telling us to screw too.[/quote]

Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,171,362 times
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra williamson View Post
I was thinking about visiting Montana this summer. When I visited in 1970 I found very friendly people and a beautiful place. After reading some of your comments you have become the very people that you want to stay away.
OH! By the way maybe other states should feel concerns about people from Montana moving to our state. I will take all of your garbage, tear down any building you don't want and run off the terrible people, if you will give me back my Son!!!!! It was one of your very friendly peole that killed him and five others two years ago. Your state is like any other state we have pluses and minuses. Some of you sound like minuses. This world does not need anymore hostility. .........Not visiting now.

Thank your for speaking up ! When I say that some people on here make me sound like I'm making it up. "Except Change" they say...personally I don't see where change has much good at all to the state. I nor my children can afford to buy a house in our own town anymore.

AQHA wrote:

It really makes you wonder when your own country won't defend it's own borders, but we have no problem sending our boys to defend Iraq's. I say no one show up for the next federal election, because it doesnt' seem to matter who you vote for anymore, don't show up, that'll send a message, embarrass them in front of the whole world....when no one shows at the voting poles, let the politicians and the whole world know what we think of them. No wonder the Iragies don't want democracy, they see ours. We don't have a 2 party system anymore, we have a 2 familly system, Bush and Clinton (Hitlery is next), we live in a country where you get thrown in jail for disaplining your own children and the state can take them away without so much as a trial,.....If I lived in Iraq, I'd be telling us to screw too.
[/quote]

I must be lost...

Old 03-27-2008, 09:38 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,684,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
On the upside if there's a murder in some of the real small towns the odds of DNA catching the responsible party is zero since there'd be a match to everyone in town!
LOL gotta rep ya!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:52 AM

989 posts, read 3,528,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra williamson View Post

AQHA wrote:

It really makes you wonder when your own country won't defend it's own borders, but we have no problem sending our boys to defend Iraq's. I say no one show up for the next federal election, because it doesnt' seem to matter who you vote for anymore, don't show up, that'll send a message, embarrass them in front of the whole world....when no one shows at the voting poles, let the politicians and the whole world know what we think of them. No wonder the Iragies don't want democracy, they see ours. We don't have a 2 party system anymore, we have a 2 familly system, Bush and Clinton (Hitlery is next), we live in a country where you get thrown in jail for disaplining your own children and the state can take them away without so much as a trial,.....If I lived in Iraq, I'd be telling us to screw too.
[/quote]

I am AQHA and that is not my quote... I dont know who said it.

Who killed your son, what is that all about? Was he in the military?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 PM

269 posts, read 829,828 times
Default montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
We here in Montana, truely do love our home.

Some of us are used to being caring and kind to each other.... we've grown to have a sense of community....... we've enjoyed the company of good neighbors and are accustomed to those who would be responsible.

Our communities are small and close and thoughtful of each other....

What's been going on over the recent past, is that we are being displaced by those who would rather not be kind, caring, close or responsible.....
We have those who would much rather upset our economic apple cart.. who trod on our forests and open spaces..... who don't give any thought to our natural beauty, our history and most of all, our people and how they've chosen to live.

We who are Montana, have lived through the refining fires of life... we've suffered through countless rough winters, economic depressions, and drought filled cropless seasons..... We, who are Montana, deserve to be who we are.

The sentiment is indeed understandable in many cases.
There are those here in Montana that are witnessing, first hand, their way of life being swept away by those who would just as soon care less about us, our way of life, our concerns, our economic survival, and especially, our wide open spaces.....

Montana is a mighty rich girl..... she's experienced countless numbers of abuses over the past 100 or so years. It's not so much us, but more Montana herself, that decides who stays..... many who come here, leave, because Montana doesn't allow them to stay...... whether it be by economics, climate, geography...... many who come, don't stay.

We'll witness the million dollar homes for sale in Lincoln County as a testament to this fact..... we aren't just any ole cup-o-tea..... and many who come here find this out in pretty short order.

Now, I'm not going to sit here banging away on this keyboard telling everyone to just stay away..... Quite the contrary......
I'll say... Come on in....... Move here...... Settle down and live the good life.....

Everyone deserves to live their dreams.... if they can..... and if moving to Montana is a part of your dream..... then so be it.....

And while you are making preparation to fullfill your dream, you might want to consider cutting your current budget in exactly half of what you've grown accustomed to.... because it's gonna take some dollars to just live here, neverminding anything else, like new cars, private schools for the kids and so on.... and so forth.

Prepare yourself, your family, to run on the proverbial shoestring... to fly by the seat of your pants.... to run roughshod...... because sometimes, living here just isn't the "walk-in-the-park" that some would have you believe.
There's a price to be paid by those who choose to surround themselves with all of this beauty......

If you are moving to Montana for the "simple" life...... then your bucket will overflow with it for sure...... just remember to live "simple"..... and you'll be alright.
well said giftshoppe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana