Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 09:36 AM

413 posts, read 2,562,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
I live in another part of the US,At one time I had over 300,000 acres of land to hunt on.It was open to everyone .The wealthy flatlander moved came,in less than 10 years
they now lease all of that land.We the people that grew up there are locked out.You
can tell us it is their right to do that,some do.Its not right,I hate wealthy flatlanders now as many others do to..
Doesn't sound like a good way to make friends and influence people lol. Seems like there is precious little space that isn't owned by somebody and not permitted for general use and restricted by the US government. If I bought a ranch out there I'd want to have local people over - it's a good way to make some friends, have some fun, and not disrupt a way of life for people to whom the land means a lot more than to someone who just moved there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 09:12 PM

495 posts, read 495,356 times
Sweetendsapphire wrote:
Quote:
Billings is a lot like our Olympia, wa used to be 20 years ago -
I guess that means you got 20 years in Billings before you'll have to leave there to !

Old 12-20-2007, 12:26 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,386,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Sweetendsapphire wrote:

I guess that means you got 20 years in Billings before you'll have to leave there to !
Next stop...................Browning!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,199,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Next stop...................Browning!
Tho I'd rather live near Browning than give up my rural lifestyle... at least that's one place that can probably count on NOT getting a tidal wave of yuppies bent on changing the area.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Sweetendsapphire wrote:

Quote:
Billings is a lot like our Olympia, wa used to be 20 years ago -

And maybe we can move this up by 10 years if we can just get more people to move in faster.
I don't think Brown has to worry about this problem - they must know something we don't or are a lot smarter than anyone gives them credit for.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,070,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
And maybe we can move this up by 10 years if we can just get more people to move in faster.
I don't think Brown has to worry about this problem - they must know something we don't or are a lot smarter than anyone gives them credit for.
Not necessarily, I remember a city in CA called E. Palo Alto. It was the murder capital of the US for quite a while, an all black area that had open drug dealing in the streets, shootings many times a day and some good people surrounded by bad. Fast forward a few years, the majority of black people have been forced out by yuppies, property prices went from you couldn't give houses away to $500k for a shack, starbucks,home depot etc.... If it can happen to EPA trust me it could happen anywhere!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:35 AM

10 posts, read 32,248 times
JoeJoeMan: lol, yeah, about 20 years before we would have to move. Still, that is twenty years of living good. (hopefully, anyway)

Old 12-21-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
JoeJoeMan: lol, yeah, about 20 years before we would have to move. Still, that is twenty years of living good. (hopefully, anyway)
Yea get it while you can
Nothing good last forever or in this case very long.

Hey I just over heard a couple old Montanan tyopes talking, about of all things, the Bozeman area and what's happening there, now mind you these are just the old salty of the earth rancher types guys talking.... One guy mentioned how a buddy took him up in a small plane for a ride over Bozeman and to hear him talk about all the big houses on the hill that had swimming pools in the back yard - and he just couldn't comprehend it - "SWIMMING POOLS" in montana in the yard The other guy remarked "Some people have so much money they don't know what to do with it" - I was trying to contain my laughter thru it all, but was thinking to myself "yea there goes the neighborhood" - it ain't your papies montana anymore

Old 12-25-2007, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 14,270 times
Default What's happened?

I have read through a lot of posts about the deterioration of Montana and the horrible things that come with more people moving here. I am originally from a small town in Montana and moved away about six years ago. For about the first year or so living in southern California, I wanted to go home. I hated the way that people acted, the traffic, the general way of life. But as time went on, I started to enjoy the people. well, most of them. I never got used to the traffic, but the way of life also grew on me. I realized that most people that I met didn't look at me for how i was dressed, what I drove, or where I hung out. Everyone was accepting of the way that I was. After living there for a number of years I returned to the state of Montana and went back to my home town. Soon, I realized that Montana isn't at all what most people describe it as. The people are not as friendly and accepting as they tend to see themselves. Granted, you drive down the street and get waves from most cars that pass, but when the time comes that you go out into town, to the store, movies, or the "local watering hole", the people are more judgemental than I ever remember them being before my years away. If you're not wearing a pair of simple jeans, some work boots, or just something in general that would imply that you are from the state, they look at you as an outsider. They say things like "go back to california". I don't see any friendly people around anymore, and if I do, they are usually from somewhere other than here. I couldn't wait to get back to Montana, but now being here, I would consider California a friendlier place than Montana. I am not trying to anger any montanans, for I myself was originally one, I am rather wondering: Does anyone else notice this? Am I just not in the right part of Montana to see the "friendly" side that I remember there being?

Old 12-25-2007, 10:43 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,199,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1or2 View Post
I couldn't wait to get back to Montana, but now being here, I would consider California a friendlier place than Montana. I am not trying to anger any montanans, for I myself was originally one, I am rather wondering: Does anyone else notice this? Am I just not in the right part of Montana to see the "friendly" side that I remember there being?
I grew up in MT, but have lived in SoCal for the past 23 years, so we have something in common Anyway:

The smaller the town, the more tribal the inhabitants: That is, everyone is either "one of us", OR is an outsider, and it's tough to "join" an existing "tribe", ie. get accepted. That's true everywhere. California has become too crowded for most areas to remain tribal, but MT isn't that crowded (yet). So local people still view themselves as part of the local tribe, and anyone else is an outsider. (In VERY small communities, the "tribe" can be actively hostile to outsiders. I experienced that in Nebraska, I think I wrote about that here a while back.)

It's not necessarily all bad to be "tribal", tho. That's what "roots" and a "sense of identity" come from -- both of which are sorely lacking in California. And in my observation, people with no "tribe" are much more sheeplike, more easily stampeded by imaginary fears, and more likely to take refuge in political correctness and demanding government intervention for all their problems, rather than thinking and doing for themselves.

And when there's no "tribe", people DO feel more free to "be friendly" with random strangers, but the downside is that they're far less likely to help one another with those small things we often need (like helping change a flat tire, or watching the neighbour's kids on short notice), because after all there's no real social affiliation.

So... you're not crazy and you're seeing a real social phenomenon.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana