Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 05:42 AM

433 posts, read 1,372,037 times

Advertisements

So, here's the deal. I'm 19 and I would like to move out of my parents' house sometime next year around June-August. I don't have a job yet, but I will be getting one soon. I worked as a dishwasher for 2 years, minimum wage ($8.50 at first, then changed to $9.50).

I'll move out probably when I finish completing what I need to do for a driver's license, which I am doing right now. I won't be buying a car though, so I can save and live better financially when I move out. It'll just be easier. So a good apartment here in Montreal would be about $500-600 for rent, and my portion (since I'm trying to find a roommate) would be about $250-300? Would a full-time minimum wage job be enough? I'm completing a computer graphics course now in vocational school, and just in case I won't get a job in this field right away, I'll try finding some other minimum, or a little higher than minimum-wage job.

So what do you other Montrealers have to say about this? Would it be easy or hard? How much money should I have saved up before moving out? I have alot saved up now from my previous job though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 04:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,411,237 times
It will be tough if you are working full time and going to school full time.
If you are just working and getting around $10 an hour you should be able to afford a 2 bedroom apartment with room mate especially if you focus your apartment hunting in the areas around Pte St Charles,St Henri,Verdun.
And as you wont have a car give high priority to apartments close to the metro..
Leaving the nest is a big step in life but its a step that must be taken sooner or later,enjoy the freedom..

Old 11-28-2010, 06:28 AM

433 posts, read 1,372,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It will be tough if you are working full time and going to school full time.
If you are just working and getting around $10 an hour you should be able to afford a 2 bedroom apartment with room mate especially if you focus your apartment hunting in the areas around Pte St Charles,St Henri,Verdun.
And as you wont have a car give high priority to apartments close to the metro..
Leaving the nest is a big step in life but its a step that must be taken sooner or later,enjoy the freedom..
Why, do those places have the cheapest rent costs?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,411,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Why, do those places have the cheapest rent costs?
Yes the rents there are cheaper, subway stations and/or buses are close by and you are close to downtown 2-3 subway stops at most or a 30-45 minute walk.
Choose your room mate carefully as you may end up with a slob who does no housework and eats all the food and brings lots of obnoxious friends over all the time to party and get drunk..
In those areas i suggested you could probably afford a 3 and a half room apartment for $400-$600 a month thus avoiding the room mate all together, but you would have to do some looking to get something in that range, a room mate or two may be your only option until the big bucks start rolling in, any chance of Mom and or Dad kicking in a couple of hundred a month to help pay the rent.?
Check the classified ads in the Montreal Gazette or Craigslist or do a Google search for "Apartments to rent Montreal".

Last edited by jambo101; 11-28-2010 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal