Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:53 PM

37 posts, read 48,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Most likely a private company. The power goes to PA. Since you seem to want to blame the state they are in charge of environmental laws and regulation at the state level. However, I dont feel there needs to be blame. Just turn off the coal power plants and tell PA to build coal powerplants in PA.
Not blaming the state at all. Just asking who built the power plant since another poster was blaming the state for the road conditions. States are often involved in building power plants in some capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,324 times
I don't think anyone is gonna die or suffer severe adverse health affects from this. Morgantown generally has pretty good air quality - a ton better than the Kanawha Valley, particularly back in it's heyday when it used to "snow" in July from the Monsanto/Union Carbide/other pollution. To this day, I think there is a higher than normal brain cancer rate in the Kanawha Valley. Can I prove this is due to these plants? - no, but I have my suspicion.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Order66 View Post
Not blaming the state at all. Just asking who built the power plant since another poster was blaming the state for the road conditions. States are often involved in building power plants in some capacity.
The state is responsible for the highways.

The roads Morgantown needs are state highways that cant keep up with the biggest population in WV.

Im not sure about these powerplants. Energy companies often do have links with state government and states often subsidize private companies by giving them government monopolies or giving them ridiculous contracts. For this case I really dont know but it wouldnt surprise me if the state government is partially behind this. Coal mining companies run this state, so I dont see why coal power companies wouldnt have influence.

I really dont care who is at fault. We can worry about that after we shut down the coal plant giving power to PA and replace the coal plant downtown with a cleaner form of energy. If it takes the state to shut them down than the state is at fault, but if it could be done at the local level lets close them first and then figure out who is in bed with coal power plant companies.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I don't think anyone is gonna die or suffer severe adverse health affects from this. Morgantown generally has pretty good air quality - a ton better than the Kanawha Valley, particularly back in it's heyday when it used to "snow" in July from the Monsanto/Union Carbide/other pollution. To this day, I think there is a higher than normal brain cancer rate in the Kanawha Valley. Can I prove this is due to these plants? - no, but I have my suspicion.
Monsanto is in Charleston. They should be closed down too. They poison WV, kill its people, and take the money somewhere else. All WV gets is problems.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zargontapel View Post
The article says they are considering possibly decommissioning the coal plant by the river. I think that would be a huge step forward, as it is an eyesore on the skyline right now.
That would be a great first step. 2nd step is shut down the coal plant in Cheat Lake that provides power to PA. Nothing against PA, but we dont want it. If you need the power they can build a cleaner power plant where it used to be.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 PM

354 posts, read 505,845 times
At a time when coal is on the downswing and plants are closing, I can't understand why that longview plant was constructed.

Who knows what's being put in the air above chemical row along the river across from don knotts. Also, The incredible amount of Mack trucks on the road is many times worse than "idling traffic"

Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Contrary to what the wackos would have you believe, the problem is not coal fired power plants. We don't have any more power plants than they do elsewhere. It is our growing traffic situation, and only state government can solve that. We pack more cars in 10 square miles than any city in the state does any place. Look at the traffic counts and you will get the picture. They need to get off their duffs and give us the roads we need, rather than carp about roads to nowhere.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
I never realized Morgantown was a victim of urban sprawl, can we get something done about this?!?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 PM

354 posts, read 505,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
I never realized Morgantown was a victim of urban sprawl, can we get something done about this?!?
Yeah, city planning and sensible zoning. Neither of which has happened

Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Most of our growth has taken place outside of city limits. There is simply not much space available within the city for development unless they tear down something already in existence. They are doing some of that, but future development will be in the outskirts by necessity. We need ROADS. All the planning in the world will not solve our problems. You simply can not plan away the lack of state responsibility infrastructure. The towns in our state that have adequate, or more than adequate infrastructure no longer need it for the most part. I can get from one part of any city in West Virginia to another in 10 minutes... any city but ours. Well, maybe ours and Martinsburg, but our need is greater than theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown