Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:45 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Yeah, city planning and sensible zoning. Neither of which has happened
It's probably the crooked politicians in Charleston that are keeping the planning and zoning from happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
I have been to Morgantown, as recently as 2011, I didn't see anything resembling big city pollution, nor anything big city for that matter.
Your antecodal opinion is irrelevant.

However, I have come up with a plan to stop pollution not only in most of WV but also the country. At the same time my plan would provide a huge economic boost to SWV and would require infrastructure upgrades. Start getting excited and providing a thank you to me. More to come soon.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Your antecodal opinion is irrelevant.

However, I have come up with a plan to stop pollution not only in most of WV but also the country. At the same time my plan would provide a huge economic boost to SWV and would require infrastructure upgrades. Start getting excited and providing a thank you to me. More to come soon.
Can't wait, I'm always open to economic development and saving the environment.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
I have been to Morgantown, as recently as 2011, I didn't see anything resembling big city pollution, nor anything big city for that matter.
You must have been here at 3am on a Monday morning in July then, because we certainly do have big city like traffic here most of the time. The pollution aspect is probably overhyped, but what there is is more related to traffic than anything else. The people buying into this bogus fossil fuel nonsense are way off base. There is more greenhouse gas produced by a single vulcanic eruption than mankind is capable of producing in an entire year, and the reality is we have very little pollution in our country from coal, and what does exist is so well dispersed by the tall stacks as to render it harmless. Some people put entirely too much stock in Al Gore alarmist crap. Generally it is the same group that believes they always have to be alarmed about something.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:54 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
Quote:
Yeah, city planning and sensible zoning. Neither of which has happened
Well, it would be too easy to take responsibility for anything; and we'd leave ourselves on the hook for having to fix the problem.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You must have been here at 3am on a Monday morning in July then, because we certainly do have big city like traffic here most of the time. The pollution aspect is probably overhyped, but what there is is more related to traffic than anything else. The people buying into this bogus fossil fuel nonsense are way off base. There is more greenhouse gas produced by a single vulcanic eruption than mankind is capable of producing in an entire year, and the reality is we have very little pollution in our country from coal, and what does exist is so well dispersed by the tall stacks as to render it harmless. Some people put entirely too much stock in Al Gore alarmist crap. Generally it is the same group that believes they always have to be alarmed about something.
I hope you realize that those stacks don't just produce steam... I am sorry that you live in 1920, but it IS possible to add large amounts of gases to the environment that result in changes to the environmental composition. Sorry that Rush Limbaugh is paid not to believe that, but belief and reality are two very different things.

That aside, where in the news has anyone discusses decommissioning the power plant on Beechurst? I've heard/read nothing of that kind. Secondly, is that plant the same one that provides steam to WVU or do they have their own facility (for those unfamiliar with the process, many college campuses pipe steam to heat their buildings).

Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
If morgantown didn't let the developers build willy-nilly, then the growth could have been controlled, roads been planned for sensible traffic flow, and zoning with high density living in mind.
One of my favorite stories that I've followed since having moved to WV went something like this: So the Cheat area had a vote regarding whether or not they wanted to adopt zoning laws. The adoption of a zoning process failed, and the newspaper reported it that "West Virginians, when given a choice, will always vote to be free". How true, because zoning is the greatest form of slavery. It was especially delightful when, within two months of the vote, an enterprising individual announced plans to build a Hot Spot across from the entrance to Greystone. The Greystone folks were up in arms, wondering why there were no zoning restrictions to prevent such an atrocity.... This sums up many instances of poor planning in Mon. County, often attributable to the residents who should have awoken to these problems years ago, but now choose to blame others for their own inactivity.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
I hope you realize that those stacks don't just produce steam... I am sorry that you live in 1920, but it IS possible to add large amounts of gases to the environment that result in changes to the environmental composition. Sorry that Rush Limbaugh is paid not to believe that, but belief and reality are two very different things.

That aside, where in the news has anyone discusses decommissioning the power plant on Beechurst? I've heard/read nothing of that kind. Secondly, is that plant the same one that provides steam to WVU or do they have their own facility (for those unfamiliar with the process, many college campuses pipe steam to heat their buildings).
Nobody says power plants create NO polution. Cars create pollution. Sewage treatment systems create pollution. Septic tanks (common in most of the Northeast) create even more pollution, and the alarmists there are too cheap to invest in sewage infrastructure too. You are going to get gasses released into the environment no matter what you do. If you fart, you are releasing methane gas into the environment. That is the tradeoff for modern living.

Unless one wants to return to the age of horse and buggy, we are going to be burning fossil fuels for energy or taking part in a very dangerous game of excessive reliance on nuclear energy. The pollution caused in alarmist oriented states in the Northeast has a lot more to do with use of fuel oil as a heating source than it does with coal fired power plants. I know, I used to live there and it was impossible to heat your home without paying someone to truck in hundreds of gallons of oil every year. They refuse to invest in infrastructure for natural gas, then carp about someone else's power plant.

In addition, the big money interests who make the decisions that determine our destiny (it has absolutely nothing to do with what political party they belong to) have decided they want cheap labor. That means most stuff is going to be produced in Asia, which has absolutely no controls on pollution so if it won't be make here, it will make far more pollution somewhere else. Our power plants have scrubbers and the like to mitigate the effects.

I would be very surprised if they suddenly decommission the small power plant on Beechurst. It is a relatively modern facility, and although like all industrial facilities it is not particularly attractive, it is at the edge of development and they make an effort to keep it as attractive as possible. It is part of the power grid, and represents a substantial investment. It is highly unlikely to be going anywhere.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 AM

361 posts, read 748,476 times
Excuse me, but is this news? I thought Morgantown always had air quality issues. Is that not correct?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Excuse me, but is this news? I thought Morgantown always had air quality issues. Is that not correct?
I notice you live in Monterey. I lived in Monterey, which has probably the freshest air on the planet. Almost 30 years ago when I lived there, I used to smoke a pipe (like Bill Clinton I never inhaled it though). One day I was driving north on the four lane portion of the Coast Highway and a guy was behind me on a motorcycle. He pulled up beside me and yelled "That pipe smells great... what tobacco are you using?".
The air was so fresh he could smell the pipe smoke riding 55 miles per hour up an expressway. Our air has never been that fresh in West Virginia except on top of our very highest mountains.

By large city standards, our air quality is good here but we do have major traffic congestion caused by the state's failure to meet it's responsibilities in keeping our infrastructure on a level with demand. They are finally starting to do something about it, but it will take years before the problem is fully resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown