Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times

Advertisements

A lot can happen in 40 years... different people involved all over the place, etc. The current administration at WVU likely sees more potential in the riverfront than in the power plant. My opinion... the power plant is closed and dismantled within a few years and the school builds a new heating system out of the way over Falling Run.

Greer seldom uses their river loading dock these days... I don't know why. But they are unlikely to give up the ability to do so. That is far enough away from the most important development areas though that it is likely to have little impact overall. Get some development going there, and it will take off and feed on itself.

This is a growing city and county. In some locations, development actually ends up destroying something else due to declining population. That is not the case here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
A lot can happen in 40 years... different people involved all over the place, etc. The current administration at WVU likely sees more potential in the riverfront than in the power plant. My opinion... the power plant is closed and dismantled within a few years and the school builds a new heating system out of the way over Falling Run.

Greer seldom uses their river loading dock these days... I don't know why. But they are unlikely to give up the ability to do so. That is far enough away from the most important development areas though that it is likely to have little impact overall. Get some development going there, and it will take off and feed on itself.

This is a growing city and county. In some locations, development actually ends up destroying something else due to declining population. That is not the case here.

I'd bet WVU ends up building either a hybrid garbage/natural gas burner for steam or just a straight natural gas plant. It would operate cheaper and cleaner and be much smaller of a facility.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:57 AM

113 posts, read 147,888 times
Never underestimate the lobbying power of the coal industry in this state. If they build a new plant, which I doubt they do for a long time as the current plant isn't that old, I'll be shocked if it at the least isn't some sort of hybrid coal plant.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:22 PM

Research is a primary responsibility for a Category 1 Carnegie Research Intensive university such as WVU. My hunch would be that if they build a new plant, it will have a research component associated with it and will be capable of using various sources of energy.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
I believe the former Walgreens building and lot may be razed to make room for an improved intersection or round about.
Apparently that is not the case. Instead, they are going through the Hardee's parking lot and paying the owner of Hardee's $9.2 million for the privilege of doing so. Kind of makes me wonder if that individual or group is not somehow politically connected.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:17 AM

36 posts, read 51,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
I believe the former Walgreens building and lot may be razed to make room for an improved intersection or round about.
I heard that the Dollar General down the road will be relocating in the former Walgreens building. I do not know this officially but it would make sense.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 AM

Well, if that is the case, they are certainly getting a first class building for their type of operation. Sabraton is the right part of town for a Dollar General. That would open up a slot at the Jones Plaza. I simply can't believe somebody hasn't seized on the opportunity to put in a full service liquor and beverage store in Sabraton. It would be a guaranteed winner.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM

124 posts, read 151,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Apparently that is not the case. Instead, they are going through the Hardee's parking lot and paying the owner of Hardee's $9.2 million for the privilege of doing so. Kind of makes me wonder if that individual or group is not somehow politically connected.
Wow. Probably less than an acre. You can buy beachfront real estate in upper scale resort areas for less than that.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:08 PM

56 posts, read 70,326 times
Someone should ask the DOH about this acquisition, there is emanate domain and 9 million is not fair value for that land, perhaps 1-1.5 million.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngman86 View Post
Someone should ask the DOH about this acquisition, there is emanate domain and 9 million is not fair value for that land, perhaps 1-1.5 million.
This is the State of West Virginia. More specifically, state government. Nothing is ever what meets the eye when in involves that bunch of thieving reprobates. Odds are it would take an enormous amount of digging, but it could well be that this has little to do with fair market values and a lot more to do with who owns what, and who stands to benefit from it. Look at the Lottery Taj Mahal for example. No rational development would have ever come up with that situation. But there it is ... for everyone to see.

It is great to see the intersection improved. Personally, I believe a round about would have been a better solution, and people are starting to get the hang of using them around here now, but logic seldom rules the day with our state government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown