Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
It depends what you mean critical acclaim. I love Art and Foreign movies and a lot of the ones I see are completely ignored by American cinema goers but do very well around the world.
Yes, many films do actually receive acclaim from American critics, but if they do not fit, for whatever reason, into the hype machine, they do not get seen by American film goers.

Moose, I saw and enjoyed almost all the films on your list, especially Goodbye Lenin, Rabbit Proof Fence and The Beat That My Heart Skipped.
(I have to admit, I did find the Inuit movie a bit of a yawner.)
I would add The Science of Sleep to your list. I loved the theme, the chances the film took, and the mixing of different languages.
The thing is, these movies *did* receive critical acclaim.
It's just that none of them were mainstream American films.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Yes, many films do actually receive acclaim from American critics, but if they do not fit, for whatever reason, into the hype machine, they do not get seen by American film goers.

Moose, I saw and enjoyed almost all the films on your list, especially Goodbye Lenin, Rabbit Proof Fence and The Beat That My Heart Skipped.
(I have to admit, I did find the Inuit movie a bit of a yawner.)
I would add The Science of Sleep to your list. I loved the theme, the chances the film took, and the mixing of different languages.
The thing is, these movies *did* receive critical acclaim.
It's just that none of them were mainstream American films.
I think America also makes a lot of great movies which somehow never make it to cinemas here. The Inuit movie was a bit slow but I quite liked the completely different aspect of it.
I love quirkier movies like "Little Miss Sunshine", "When the Whales came", "Green Fired Tomatoes" that sort of thing so Hollywood does occasionally make some great movies too. In the last few years I really loved "Goodnight and Good-Bye", "Capote" , "Thank you for smoking" "lost in translation"," Broken Flowers" and "Lost in translation" . I rented "stranger than fiction" last week end and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mind you I have seen art movies which were absolute snooze-fests ! We went to see "Russian Ark" last year , which got rave reviews from critics and once we gathered up the courage to leave mid film ( I was so bored I thought I would rather chew my own leg than watch it) , the rest of the audience followed and we all ended up in the lobby in hysterics ! A couple of brave souls stayed ( and obviously far brighter than us all !) but I just felt glad to have had the guts to leave...Life is too short. It was beautifully shot but so boring to me, I just completely missed the point ( if there was one). I also loathed "Before sunset" and "Before sunrise" which everybody else loved ...

One of my favourite movie is Bergman's "the Seventh Seal" and I know it bores most people silly, yet somehow it really speaks to me. I am looking forward to "Moliere" and "Goya's Ghost" coming soon to a screen near me. The new "Lady Chatterley's Lover" is also supposed to be brilliant.

There is a movie out at the moment in the US about an Iranian family living in the US in the aftermath of 9/11 the title of which escapes me but it sounds really good. Cil , you always "on the ball", so if you see it let me know what you think.

I would add "Whale rider" to my list of recommendations .

Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
Yes, I always take what the critics say with a grain of salt - "Blade runner" opened to mediocre reviews... And I really liked that movie and so do many other people.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:10 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
I second Whale Rider - it is in my top ten of all movies ever watched. Another NZ movie I endorse is Once Were Warriors. We in the states really don't get to see the material other countries produce which is a shame.

I doubt that The Butterfly Effect is high on any critics radar screen, they trashed this movie when it came out. I LOVED it.

I think Blade Runner is now considered a classic - and yes, it wasn't critically acclaimed when it was released. It's funny that everyone raves about Citizen Cane, but I watched it and have to say I think it is way overrated. Maybe we should start a thread about overrated movies too :P

Old 07-20-2007, 08:49 PM

100 posts, read 466,201 times
Stealing Home, starred Mark Harmon and Jodie Foster. A little funny, a lot sad and very well acted..

Dirty Work, the pinnacle of Norm MacDonald's movie career! How Artie Lang did not win an oscar for Best Supporting Actor is beyond my comprehension. Don Rickles makes a hilarious cameo appearance. My mother even thought this movie was funny, trust me you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,169,965 times
speaking of Jodie Foster; who is a brilliant actor and director; I loved her movie "Little Man Tate" and also "Home For The Holidays". Actually aside from The Big Chill, I do believe Home For The Holidays is one of my all time favorite movies.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:39 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
The Hudsucker Proxy. Loved it. Critics hated it. Critics were wrong. It's hilarious. "Would an idiot think of this?"

The Survivors with Robin Williams and Walter Matthau. One of my all-time favorite comedies. Hilarious and poignant, and this movie proved to me what a good actor Jerry Reed is. "I feel like a gynecologist for a grizzly bear."

Popeye. The one with Robin Williams. Generally loathed by critics. I loved it as a kid. I love it as an adult. Total campy fun.

RV. Another Robin Williams flick. Hm. Weird. Anyway, generally hated by critics. I watched it with the kids the other day and liked it. Didn't love it. Not the greatest film ever. But definitely fun.

Flash Gordon. Okay, the critics were right on this one. It's absolutely terrible. But it is so absolutely terrible that it transends its own terribleness to awesome. It is SOOOOOOO bad that it is fantastic.

Conan the Barbarian. Loved this movie as a kid. Love it as an adult. Total fun. And the cinematography is actually quite spectacular. Many scenes almost have a Sergio Leone feel. "Cwush yoah enemies. See them dwiven befoah you. And heah duh wamentation of deah women."

A.I. Spielberg's sci-fi flick. Generally disappointed critics. I loved it. Loved, loved, LOVED it.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:03 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,169,965 times
oh I almost forgot to mention "What Dreams May Come" with Robin Williams. a most excellent movie. drama.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:39 PM

578 posts, read 3,063,659 times
I recommend "Tina Go's Shopping" and "Tina Takes a Break" , its about a housing estate in Leeds, UK and the actor's actually live on the estate in real life, its very vulgar but well funny as its so true to life in UK for many.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:18 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,045 times
Another Vote for "What Dreams May Come." Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr. are both amazing in that movie.

One of my favorites ... "That Thing You Do!" with Tom Hanks and Liv Tyler. Just a totally fun movie about a garage band becoming one-hit wonders in the '60s ... and their whilrwlind trip from Pennsylvania nobodies to L.A. superstars. It always makes me feel good, every time I see it.

And one more from Tom Hanks -- "The Green Mile." Intensely moving performances from everyone in the cast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies