Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,169,965 times

Advertisements

I find movies that don't win major awards to be some of the most entertaining.
One of my all time favorites is Coupe Deville. Stars Alan Arkin, Patrick Dempsey, Daniel Stern and others. I won't give away the plot but it's a feel good movie with a meaning.
Another I happened across and really like is Tea With Mussolini. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Cast includes a great performance by Cher, Maggie Smith,Judi Dench,Lily Tomlin,Joan Plowright. It is sort of a complex movie but well worth watching.

Last edited by Élan vital; 07-19-2007 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 07:52 PM

675 posts, read 2,685,402 times
Did you mean to say Did NOT have critical acclaim in your title?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 PM

LOL. yes I did. Duh@me. Can a mod fix that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Did you mean to say Did NOT have critical acclaim in your title?

Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,939,095 times
1974's The Front Page with Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon and a relatively unknown Susan Sarandon comes to mind for me. It was a remake of a 30s comedy if I'm not mistaken and wasn't highly regarded at the time. But still, anything with Lemmon and Matthau should be seen by aspiring comedic actors and the rest of us who just want to enjoy one of the best duos of all time. I actually liked it a lot!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,827 times
In the late seventies we saw a movie at a second run theater that no one else saw. We went because of the cast. Christopher Plummer and Elliot Gould. At the end of the year Siskel and Ebert listed it as one of the five best movies of that year and NO ONE SAW IT becauese it was a little Canadian film.
It was "Silent Partner". We happened to find a vhs copy of it in a store that was closing. We paid five bucks for it.
Rent it and enjoy. Oh, John Candy plays a bit part.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM

oh I am going to enjoy this thread! I love movies that I suppose are called "sleepers"; so I'll be looking for these you all are suggesting.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:27 AM

578 posts, read 2,529,921 times
Cool Critics Dont Know Their Biz?

I would recommend ANY MOVIE that the regular viewer, fans, and customers review with 3-4 stars. the Professional critics never like most things the average public like. They always go for the "two guys sitting in the cafe drinking coffee, smoking, discussing philosophy"...sort of thing.
I go for mostly all Independent Films that have been coming out.

Guy Ritchie is a fabulous director; Esp. with the crime-drama-comedy-action genre. His "Snatch" (w/Brad Pitt) ..."Lock/Stock Two Smoking Barrels", Also another Brit movie "Layer Cake". AMAZINGLY good also
HINT: Watch with the subtitles. I always have to watch with the Subtitles; due to quick-talking slang, the various Brit accents, and street jargon, but worth it. That workingclass Liverpool talk, or Cockney, is hard to catch the subtle humor sometimes. Lemme know what you think when you viewed these
DVDs.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
In the late seventies we saw a movie at a second run theater that no one else saw. We went because of the cast. Christopher Plummer and Elliot Gould. At the end of the year Siskel and Ebert listed it as one of the five best movies of that year and NO ONE SAW IT becauese it was a little Canadian film.
It was "Silent Partner". We happened to find a vhs copy of it in a store that was closing. We paid five bucks for it.
Rent it and enjoy. Oh, John Candy plays a bit part.
heh
You stole my post!
I saw this movie in the theater, too, and even rented it as VHS.
I just saw that it is out on DVD.
Strictly speaking, this does not really fit the OP, because apparently Silent Partner did eventually receive critical acclaim, it's just that it seems as if nobody saw it.
That's the funny thing: these days, box office, rather than critical approval, seems to signify success.

Another sleeper: Local Hero
I don't know what kind of criticism this Scottish film received when it came out. All I know is that nobody much seems to know about it. (Except Mooseketeer!)
I always liked it very much.

Snatch, as I recall, received bad reviews for being a rehash of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.
I enjoyed both Layer Cake and Lock, Stock--but as I recall, they did receive good reviews. But yes, they were indie movies rather than stuff that came out of the Hollywood machine. I love Vinnie Jones.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:05 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,806 times
Blood Guts Bullets and Octane

yeah, i know, it sounds horrible, and to a lot of people it is. seems like most people either love it or hate it. it's and indy film written & directed by and starring Joe Carnahan ( he later wrote and directed Narc ). it is very grainy and has a very indy feel to it. it is similar to Reservoire Dogs, but without the actors - but with a better storyline, i think. it plays out like a cross between Reservoire Dogs and The Usual Suspects. i think it's better than both. and it cost $7,000 to make.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:43 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
It depends what you mean critical acclaim. I love Art and Foreign movies and a lot of the ones I see are completely ignored by American cinema goers but do very well around the world.
I would recommend :
"To dance with a white Dog" ( American with Jessica Tandy)
"Dad" with Ted Danson
"Joyeux Noel" ( French,German and British movie about the Christmas ceasefire during WW1 between the different troops )/ wonderful and very moving.
" A very Long engagement" ( wonderful French movie , a must see)
"Wilby Wonderful" a great Canadian small budget movie
"Silver city"
"Orchestra seats" ( French)
"Tell no one" ( French)
"Goodbye Lenin" ( German movie)
" Jindabyne " ( Australian I think)
"Atanarjat the fast runner" ( Inuit)
" The Rabbit -Proof fence" ( Australian)
"Nine Queens" ( Argentinian)
"No Man's Land" ( set during the war in Bosnia a Bosnian movie)
"The Beat that my Heart skipped" ( French) and many ,many more.

Have a look at that website :
Best Art House, Foreign, and Independent Movies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies