Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,015 times

Advertisements

Just finished it. I enjoyed it a lot, but found it to be predictable. Denzel's performance was great and the actual crash scene gave me a bit of anxiety, as I hate flying as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I thought it was a solid movie but I wish the previews gave less away.
Actually, I was really surprised to see the movie turn out like it did. I had got the impression that it was about an expert pilot under the stress of fame after saving folks from a plane crash. I didn't catch on that he was an actual alcoholic until the first few minutes of the movie.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,022,504 times
I never seen the previews for it and watched it last night. I thought it was worth the rental. I agree with others that John Goodman is awesome. I bet he's a riot to be around while smoking a fatty.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:11 AM

10 posts, read 10,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I really want to watch this one, hopefully sometime this week.
What a wonderful movie the "Flight" is that I have ever seen!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Watched it on BluRay tonight. Pretty darn good . Don't think they'll be showing it on any airlines though.

"I'm on the list". Goodman made this movie.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Just a slightly off topic post but it does have to do with the topic in this movie:

When I was in jr. high we had a few alcoholics visit our classrooms. Must have been a community service from the court. One of them was an airline pilot. He explained "functioning alcoholic" to us because he was one. It's been nearly 50 years ago and it stays with me.

He said that as a pilot for a national airline he flew across the US from one coast to the other and one border to the other. There had been so many flights that he did not remember because he was a functioning alcoholic. That is to say that he remembered taking off and landing but everything in between was done by rote and he was blacked out without being unconscious.

I cannot stand the thought of that. Even to this day I still wonder if the pilot of a plane I am on is drunk.

I don't mean to imply that all pilots are drunks. They most assuredly are not. I'm the child of a pilot and he never flew drunk. But all it takes is one.......and hundreds of lives can be lost.

I think this movie is exceptional because it addresses an issue that is painful to talk about but needs to be talked about.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
I think there's two types of moviegoers: those who want to be intellectually stimulated, and those who want to feel good (one is not necessarily better than the other, fwiw). "Flight" was definitely the former; I found it to be brilliant, because it's not easy to depict true addiction, without stereotyping, sensationalizing, or being overly preachy.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,015 times
Rewatched it a few days ago. I honestly think it's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,394 times
I thought it was a great movie. Having struggled with alcohol addiction in the past myself, watching him fight the urge to drink was very real for me, and it got me pretty emotional.

I honestly thought it was one of Denzel's best performance since Training Day over 10 years ago, and maybe one of his top 5 of all time. He did a great job. John Goodman was frikkin' hilarious.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Did you see it? What did you think?

I thought Denzil will certainly get an Oscar for his performance. Loved the ending. Loved his acting ability. Not sure its posssible to fly a plane upside down, though.
It was awful. The crash landing sequence was pretty exciting, but the rest of it was pretty lousy IMO. I really didn't care what happened to his character one way or the other, he just never really connected to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies