Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 01:51 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Vangelis didn't compose either of the scores for Legend. Jerry Goldsmith's was supplanted by the studio's whim to have an electronic score for the film, for which they tapped Tangerine Dream.
Tangerine Dream? Vangelis? What's the difference? It's Pepsi vs Coca Cola.

Quote:
Have you ever heard the score for Sorcerer (1978) by Tangerine Dream? You can check it out on YouTube. If you like Fiedel's music for The Terminator, I reckon you'll like Sorcerer. It's awesome.
Was that the Roy Scheider movie? I haven't seen it in ages and ages. I'll check it out though. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 02:09 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Tangerine Dream? Vangelis? What's the difference? It's Pepsi vs Coca Cola.
What's Goldsmith? IBC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Was that the Roy Scheider movie? I haven't seen it in ages and ages. I'll check it out though. Thanks!
Yep!

Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Quote:
No, the consensus does not say Leto's one of the worst things about the film.

Consensus says there isn't enough Joker in the film. That's what most people who are bitching seem to be bitching about.

Again, I disagree. It was never meant to be a Joker film. He's not THE villain of the movie. People were misled not by DC, but their own preconceptions about what the film should entail.

Max von Sydow's role as King Osric in Conan the Barbarian is a cameo. Yes, he's good, but he's not the reason why that film's a classic.
I think DC misled them. Joker was in a lot of the advertisements.

I haven't seen the movie. Waiting for rental. But that is what I have read about.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:42 PM

It happens. For months, I'd been duped by Disney into thinking The Force Awakens wasn't a retread of A New Hope. Then I noticed Son-of-Death Star in the poster, and lowered my expectation setting from a 7 to a 4. It wasn't low enough.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:49 PM

406 posts, read 288,612 times
Quote:
Do you know why I prefer to use it? Because the RT critic score, not audience score, is the one so frequently cited. It's like people can't differentiate between the two. Please tell me how a mundane film like Ant-Man has 81%.
Easy. Ant-Man as a film is of a higher grade and better value than say, BvS or Suicide Squad. It's like having two essays, one of which only has a great hook, but the other has good writing and structure. Which essay gets the better grade?

I can actually depend on your fingertips emitting birds, butterflies, and melodies whenever you write about DC. So it shouldn't be that difficult for someone to discern the credibility of a site like IDMB, where members - regardless of whether they seen the film or not - can deliberately inflate (or deflate) a rating because of some polarized allegiance or blind aggressive devotion, all the while waiving cultural criticism - not even offering an honest cinematic-thematic-literary evaluation. No thanks, I'll stick with the professionals.

Quote:
Your turn.
I've said it before. Since birth, I have been captivated by DC/WB. *For superhero animated series, DC leads Marvel 9-2. DC just does it better - Batman: The Animated Series, The Batman, Batman Beyond, Superman: The Animated Series, etc. *For live action television series, DC leads 3-1. Somebody saaaaaaaave me! I haven't consumed any of the MCU television series, which is why I've never commented on them. *For comic book characters, DC leads 3-2. In addition, WB has properties like Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, Cartoon Network, and Supernatural which in my opinion, easily eclipses anything comparable of Disney. That is to say, I have no real desire to see WB/DC fail, and I have no malice towards them, it's just that Marvel makes better movies. Period.

Last edited by the happy guy; 08-18-2016 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
I can actually depend on your fingertips emitting birds, butterflies, and melodies whenever your write about DC.

FYI, you can book an appointment with a professional to have that checked out.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:18 AM

Still on top.

Quote:
'Suicide Squad' Threepeats at #1, While 'Ben-Hur' Becomes Latest Big Budget Flop

It's a repeat at the top of the domestic box office as Suicide Squad and Sausage Party finished one and two respectively for a second weekend in a row and serving as the third straight weekend at number one for the DC Comics adaptation. The rest of the top five is made up of the weekend's three new wide releases—War Dogs, Kubo and the Two Strings and Ben-Hur—as this weekend's top twelve was down 25% from last weekend, though, compared to last year, the top twelve is up nearly 30% with a cbined gross of just over $118 million.

As already mentioned, with an estimated $20.7 million Suicide Squad took the number one spot at the weekend box office. The film's domestic cume is now up to $262.28 million, ranking fifth among all DC Comics adaptations. Internationally the film added another $38 million this weekend bringing its international total to $310.4 million for a worldwide cume totaling $572.68 million, ranking eighth among all 2016 releases.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4212&p=.htm

Old 08-24-2016, 02:24 PM

406 posts, read 288,612 times
imo, Suicide Squad is a bad movie. The film really underserved Will Smith/Deadshot and Margot Robbie/Harlet Quinn as both talent and characters. Most of the squad was useless and unnecessary. The villains were outright ridiculous and silly. A legitimate question is, where was Superman, Batman, Flash and Wonder Woman during all of this "end of the world" plot? Two of them were actually responsible for the capture of some of the squad members, but totally absent when the cartoonish villains try to take over the world. Sigh. Jared Letos joker was lifeless and disappointing. They could have done the whole film without him.

Last edited by the happy guy; 08-24-2016 at 03:02 PM..

Old 08-26-2016, 07:53 AM

836 posts, read 774,939 times
Quote:
The Force Awakens - lowered my expectation setting from a 7 to a 4. It wasn't low enough.
LOL.....The Force Awakens comes off the Gone With the Wind compared to Suicide Squad

Old 08-30-2016, 12:46 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,988,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
imo, Suicide Squad is a bad movie. The film really underserved Will Smith/Deadshot and Margot Robbie/Harlet Quinn as both talent and characters. Most of the squad was useless and unnecessary. The villains were outright ridiculous and silly. A legitimate question is, where was Superman, Batman, Flash and Wonder Woman during all of this "end of the world" plot? Two of them were actually responsible for the capture of some of the squad members, but totally absent when the cartoonish villains try to take over the world. Sigh. Jared Letos joker was lifeless and disappointing. They could have done the whole film without him.

I'm not sure how I felt about this film. I'm still trying to process it. However, I do agree with the happy guy that most of the squad was useless and unnecessary and ridiculous and silly. Also, if it wasn't for the fire guy, then the squad wouldn't have stood a chance against the brother and sister villains. Well, at least not the brother, even though minus the fire guy, the rest of the squad defeated the sister.

But as far as where was Superman, well you must have missed what was said near the beginning where Amanda Waller explained how Superman, who shares our values, his death left a vacancy for having a super ally available to fight against any super threat that would come against Earth. But apparently, Batman, the Flash, and Wonder Woman weren't considered to be powerful enough to be able to fight off the type of threats that Waller had in mind. Although you're probably asking... and the squad was? lol But I guess with the fire guy, apparently Waller thought that the squad was powerful enough. However, now that the fire guy is dead, does that mean that there won't be a Suicide Squad 2?

Also, I do have to admit that the crossover elements for the DCEU were excellent in this movie. From everything such as the explanation of Superman's death and how that was the foundation for this movie(and yes, Superman really is dead in the DCEU, and it has had an affect on the DCEU), to showing how Batman captured Deadshot and Harely Quinn, to showing the Flash's encounter with Captain Boomerang.

But as far as Jared Leto's Joker was concerned, I didn't think that he was lifeless, however, he seemed to lack that "fun" element that Heath Ledger's Joker had. And that even Jack Nicholson's Joker had. Both of their Jokers had funny, silly, and even goofy elements that could make you laugh or smile(because after all, they are Jokers), even though they were psychotic and dangerous. However, Jared Leto's Joker was just outright mean, psychotic, and intimidating. And I think that the silver teeth added to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies