Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,627,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
To which you answer: Because 90 seconds of Max von Sydow is still better than 90 minutes of any other actor on Earth.

Don't get me wrong. I love CtB. Love, love, love. One of the most under-rated movies of the 1980s. I love the writing. I love the cinematography. I love the actors. The music remains to this day the single best film score ever made. There really isn't a thing I dislike about the movie. That said, one can never praise Max von Sydow too much. He is a god walking amongst mortals.
Okay, dude! I mean fanboy!

But I agree with everything about the second paragraph, with one teensy exception: the best orchestral film score ever made, bar none. Electronic film score is its own category (and yes, I know you're going to say Blade Runner).

I hope you have the big 3-CD reissue of Poledouris' CTB score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 12:37 PM

22,930 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
But I agree with everything about the second paragraph, with one teensy exception: the best orchestral film score ever made, bar none. Electronic film score is its own category (and yes, I know you're going to say Blade Runner).
Electronic vs. orchestral is a matter of media, not subject matter. But if you want to make the distinction, then yes, I would say that Blade Runner was the best electronic score ever made.

Quote:
I hope you have the big 3-CD reissue of Poledouris' CTB score.
Bought it the week it came out.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Then again, both Sir Alec Guinness and Max von Sydow have done Star Wars.
Alex Guinness also worked with a fresh ideas George Lucas rather than one who have us the prequels. Leto worked Ayer who should have been able to give us something better. Again I'll blame studio interference from DC/WB on this though the film was enjoyable. It was just a C/C+ when it should have been an A. The problem was DC wanted a Guardians of the Galaxy meets Expendables movie which should have been R after Deadpool made bank as an R-rated comic book movie but instead they did Expendables 3 and made it PG-13.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Electronic vs. orchestral is a matter of media, not subject matter.
That's an extremely limited viewpoint, sir. Even dear departed Basil, who composed for both orchestra and synthesizer, would concur that it is much, much more than that. The aesthetics of composing with organic instruments and electronically generated sounds aren't merely defined by the wood or machinery of which they're constructed.

Quote:
But if you want to make the distinction, then yes, I would say that Blade Runner was the best electronic score ever made.
Listen to more electronic film scores before you make that call.

Quote:
Bought it the week it came out.
Color me shocked.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
That's an extremely limited viewpoint, sir. Even dear departed Basil, who composed for both orchestra and synthesizer, would concur that it is much, much more than that. The aesthetics of composing with organic instruments and electronically generated sounds aren't merely defined by the wood or machinery of which they're constructed.
Any time the media changes, the artist has to change the approach. Writing for the screen is much different than writing a novel, which is much different than writing for radio. But a film score is still a film score. I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over distinctions in media.

Quote:
Listen to more electronic film scores before you make that call.
I have tried. Too much of it tastes like boiled cauliflower to me. Blech. Electronic music just isn't for me.

I tried enjoying the score to THIEF. I wouldn't call it bad. But I didn't enjoy it. Morodo's music to CAT PEOPLE had moments of brilliance interspersed with moments of Pac-Man. Vangelis's music for LEGEND was meh. A bit too twee for me. Electronic twee is still twee. I did enjoy the TERMINATOR scores a lot though, and those were electronic.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Turns out 13 is a lucky number for the Suicide Squad gang. After ending their second weekend with $466M worldwide, the crew zipped past the $500M milestone at the global box office on Day 13 of release. With a total $509M, the film will help drive the overall August box office to a record high. At release two weeks ago, it became the biggest-ever August opener both domestically and abroad. It is currently the No. 11 movie of the year globally, and should jump up a couple of spots this weekend.

‘Suicide Squad’ Crosses $500M At Worldwide Box Office | Deadline

Old 08-18-2016, 01:11 PM

Air Supply's Greatest Hits album sold 7 million copies. Don't confuse quantity with quality.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Any time the media changes, the artist has to change the approach. Writing for the screen is much different than writing a novel, which is much different than writing for radio. But a film score is still a film score. I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over distinctions in media.
You're thinking solely within the context of notes on a scale. If approaching electronic music was that, shall we say, ordinary, then we'd have a lot more innovators out there. There are a bazillion EM dabblers, but they're not innovators. And I don't even count the dance crap like EDM and techno. Those guys just string together beeps and bloops over beats so people can shake their asses to it.

Quote:
I have tried. Too much of it tastes like boiled cauliflower to me. Blech. Electronic music just isn't for me.

I tried enjoying the score to THIEF. I wouldn't call it bad. But I didn't enjoy it. Morodo's music to CAT PEOPLE had moments of brilliance interspersed with moments of Pac-Man. Vangelis's music for LEGEND was meh. A bit too twee for me. Electronic twee is still twee. I did enjoy the TERMINATOR scores a lot though, and those were electronic.
Vangelis didn't compose either of the scores for Legend. Jerry Goldsmith's was supplanted by the studio's whim to have an electronic score for the film, for which they tapped Tangerine Dream.

Have you ever heard the score for Sorcerer (1978) by Tangerine Dream? You can check it out on YouTube. If you like Fiedel's music for The Terminator, I reckon you'll like Sorcerer. It's awesome.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Air Supply's Greatest Hits album sold 7 million copies. Don't confuse quantity with quality.
You're trying too hard, Marcus!

You'd better go help out Pete's Dragon! They really fudged the marketing for that.*

*Assuming it doesn't suck. I haven't seen it, and don't plan to.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:29 PM

BOX OFFICE: SUICIDE SQUAD Expected To Remain At #1 For Third Week In A Row Topping BEN-HUR And More
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies