Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2022, 01:57 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,406,394 times

Advertisements

Beast (2022)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oQMc7Sq36mI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 05:49 AM

29,702 posts, read 14,801,681 times
Well, we again re-watched the Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. Such a funny movie, great one liners, and quite a list of actors. The scenes with Melissa McCarthy's Irish family just crack me up. And there are no words needed for Sandra Bullock. She is just awesome in anything she is in.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:10 PM

17,651 posts, read 22,706,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy53420 View Post
I Hope he has Vehicle Insurance...

Old 11-17-2022, 11:24 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,107,823 times
Busy this week, so movies get broken over 2 nights.
Vera: Prodigal Son
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2649560/?ref_=ttep_ep4

Pretty good though one needs to be sitting down, paying attention to get the gist of it. A 8.7.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:35 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,406,394 times
Nope (2022)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=In8fuzj3gck

Old 11-18-2022, 10:12 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,322,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well, we again re-watched the Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. Such a funny movie, great one liners, and quite a list of actors. The scenes with Melissa McCarthy's Irish family just crack me up. And there are no words needed for Sandra Bullock. She is just awesome in anything she is in.
That about sums it up, I'd say.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:17 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,322,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy53420 View Post
It's kind of funny, but the scary "reveal" that this had didn't really affect me much, but another, less significant moment creeped me the *blank* out. One of the creepiest, scariest things I've seen in a long time. Anyway, I don't want to undersell or oversell it...

Old 11-18-2022, 10:27 PM

11,858 posts, read 6,209,783 times
Fandango (1984) with Kevin Costner and Judd Nelson.

Brilliantly done. How have I missed seeing this movie all of these years. Best movies I have seen in quite a while. Really well done. YMMV.

Old 11-19-2022, 03:59 PM

61,999 posts, read 87,675,913 times
I just watched "All quiet on the Western Front" (Netflix)
This war drama is a masterclass which absolutely deserves it's very high rating.

All Quiet on the Western Front was one of the many books burned by the Nazi Party after Hitler took power, because of its representation of German soldiers as disillusioned and its perceived negative representation of Germany. The book was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize in 1931. That book was a required read when I was in HS.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/All...rn-Front-novel

Old 11-19-2022, 04:59 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,549,278 times
FAREWELL MY CONCUBINE-many customs and scenes are pre communist Chinese,I doubt even the Chinese could follow !
The Peking opera boot camp -the students are either abandoned by their parents or homeless found on the street,they are trained either to play male or female role very early on,all Peking opera actors and actresses are played by males,no females.I believe same with the Japanese Kabuki.
One day,they were invited to perform at a birthday party for a rich old man,Farewell my Concubine is based on a king on his last day to engage in battle, realised he will lose and his lady will be assaulted,his lady threw herself at his sword and killed herself so he would not be distracted in battle.
After the performance,the boy who played the concubine was carried into a chamber and assaulted by the old man.It did not say how?
The boy and his partner who played the king both grew up and become successful,his partner frequented a brothel and married a popular lady played by Gong Li.
There was a scene where Gong Li piled all her precious jewelry on the table and told the lady of the brothel she is leaving,and the lady said you can leave if you like ,but once a ***** is always a ***** !
She walked out of the brothel barefoot,which is a symbolic gesture she gave up everything to win her freedom,including her shoes !
Then comes the Japanese invasion ,by now the boy who played the concubine has become an opium addict but he is good at playing his role and won many fans.
One of his fans is a homosexual who collaborated with the Japanese,he courted him with precious jewelry-hairpieces from Empress Dowager of CHING DYnasty..
Then comes the Communist revolution,ragged soldiers are now marching in the street singing songs praising Mao Tse Tung .
The couple made their living as street hawkers while the concubine boy became more addicted to opium and his traitor lover was tried in people court and sentenced to death.
The comes the people trial,Gong Li 's husband is forced to admit he married a prostitute and joined the crowd in condemning her.
She went home and hanged herself(so back to the saying Once a ***** is always a *****,you cant run away from your past) .
The Communist decided to make changes,the old way is corrupt and decadent and must be changed,so they decided new players will play farewell my concubine.
In the last scene,the two met again and replayed the farewell scene,and the one who played the concubine threw himself at the sword and died.
The movie won the best foreign film jointly with an Australian movie at the French film festival.
It is free to watch on Freev?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies