Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM

501 posts, read 197,906 times

Advertisements

There's no way there was a better comeback than this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 12:49 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
So I watched the movie, and they had good takes on some classic lines but Donnie Darko is not Patrick Swayze. For those saying it was not a resemblance need to rewatch the original or check their movie eval skills. A black eye on the bouncer, the hardware shop = bookshop, owner is the upstairs, uncomfortable accommodations, chicken wire and bands, crappy vehicles, names, etc. MacGregor was the dude with the pool cue in the original. Its a poor remake.
I was thinking more like Bubble Boy. I'm sure Jake wishes he never made that movie. I thought it was funny though.

Old 03-25-2024, 04:57 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times
I feel attached to the original Roadhouse movie, such great stars! Patrick Swayze, Sam Elliott, Ben Gazzara, and Kelly Launch - the original cast was perfect. Why would Hollywood want to remake a GREAT movie?

It would be a better idea to just make a totally completely different movie with a new name with an all new cast. watching the trailer - all those modifications, and cast could a used a brand new name would be more ideal.

I like Jake Gyllenhaal, it's not about him at all.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:14 AM

2,985 posts, read 1,748,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yeah, but that's all he is these days. Sorry to get off-topic but remember when he was known for compelling performances in thought-provoking films? The last decent movie that he was in was Nocturnal Animals in 2016.

He's now that actor who, when I hear he's in a movie, I don't want to see that movie because I know it won't be good.
Jake was pretty damn good in the 2023 film "The Covenant" by Guy Ritchie.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:26 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Jake was pretty damn good in the 2023 film "The Covenant" by Guy Ritchie.
But hardly a good film. And reminiscent of Jarhead in terms of the role he played. It seems like he is playing a soldier or police office every 3 years.

I guess I prefer him in serious, dramatic roles than as a cheesy action star.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:13 AM

2,985 posts, read 1,748,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
But hardly a good film. And reminiscent of Jarhead in terms of the role he played. It seems like he is playing a soldier or police office every 3 years.

I guess I prefer him in serious, dramatic roles than as a cheesy action star.
I enjoyed "The Covenant", but I like most of the modern films set in the middle east fighting the Taliban, ISIS, etc.

I thought Jake's character and his Afghani translator (Dar Salim) had some great chemistry. Their contentious relationship at the start, transforming to mutual respect and devotion to each other was very effective and moving.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:20 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
The world needs a ROADHOUSE remake like we need another CHILDREN OF THE CORN sequel.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:31 AM

501 posts, read 197,906 times
The world needs a Road House remake like we need another Adam Sandler "comedy" tour.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:24 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I stand corrected. Watched it over the weekend. Now, one needs to go into it as if it is a completely different movie, not a remake and it will be okay.

I thought it was a definitely entertaining, Jake delivered just enough humor, and tough guy. McGregor played a pretty good crazy, scary dude. The ending got a little weird with some not so well done CGI, but overall not bad. I'll watch it again.
I also watched it and found more humorous tidbits than I expected. Technically it was a remake but that's about it. Actually, I enjoyed the bit when Our Mr. Nice Hero hauled the sheepish wound-licking toughs to the ER. And the sequence when Mr. Evil Developer was trying to get his face shaved on his pitching mega yacht.

My thumb was poised hovering over the TV remote's back button if the opening ring fight threatened to go on any longer. Mr. Gyllenhaal's face was much too pretty for a tortured former fighter to be believable. No character-deepening philosophy other than PTSD fueled nightmares. Frankly, I don't understand why male stars all think they need to look like flesh-colored Hulks these days. Almost thought he was wearing a body suit. Grotesque. Apparently, Our Hero didn't need a high mileage, witty-wise, former mentor this time. No Sam Elliot character remake unless I missed it. Maybe the filmmaker finally realized it's best to leave silver-tressed things alone. Maybe all the sweaty muscle rippling distracted me.

Calculated, swift opponent-neutralizing moves that happen so fast you miss them if you blink are intriguing. That's what you'd expect from an experienced brawler. Size them up and put them on the ground without breaking a sweat. Even on a sunny day in FL. Dispassionate, not personal. IMHO, endless periods of personal action/violence are annoying and boring. We got it already, let's move on! OTOH, action/violence involving non-human objects (boats, yacht tenders, cars, bar furnishings, conveniently large crocodiles) less so.

Also, so utterly sick and tired of PC character remakes: the underrepresented racial group business owner, non-typical gendered roadhouse tavern owner, diabetes-inducing underrepresented racial group teen, the bad guy with absolutely no redeeming qualities including how to hire lackeys with functional brains. To lay it on even thicker, he did not belong to an underrepresented racial group. You didn't have to twitch a single mental muscle to figure out who the villain was going to be. Almost expected he would end up dinner for the conveniently large crocodile. No such luck.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-27-2024 at 04:44 PM..

Old Today, 09:41 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
I recently watched it on Amazon.

Both the original and the remake are bad movies. The remake bears little resemblance to the original.

I think Gyllenhaal is a better actor than Swayze was and preferred him in the role of fighting action hero "Dalton", but the leading man doesn't have any strong support such as a Sam Elliott or Ben Gazzara this time around. Neck and face tattoos have always looked horrible IMO, but the two dark lines on Dalton's neck actually seemed OK/appropriate for his character.

I'd never heard of Connor McGregor previously. The decision to play his character as a completely over the top psycho probably was a good one considering he's an amateur actor.

In this production it seemed to me that everyone involved knew they were making a bad movie, whereas the original was a mostly serious affair. Therefore, remake is better IMO.

Last edited by Arktikos; Today at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies