Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,816,774 times

Advertisements

Tool may be over rated however, A Perfect Circle is absolute lyrical perfection. Meaningful songs, powerful lyrics, very strong melody. I can't rate this band highly enough.

Overrated: U2, Rolling Stones, modern day Metallica, modern Stone Temple Pilots, modern Alice in Chains, Korn, Guns & Roses, Creed

Underrated: A Perfect Circle, Disturbed, 30 Seconds to Mars, Soundgarden, Breaking Benjamin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM

191 posts, read 273,593 times
Overrated: Way too many artists to name, but the OP has a point, The Beatles are a tad overrated.
Underrated: Again, way too many artists in this category, but I would say King's X, Sevendust, & Alice Cooper are are few that make the list.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 PM

36 posts, read 77,167 times
I'm going to say Robyn is underrated by the mainstream. Their is no conceivable reason why she isn't one of the biggest pop stars on the planet based on her music. The fact that she isn't very sexy and has an accent is probably the main reason why she has never gotten huge in the U.S.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 PM

894 posts, read 2,321,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Tool may be over rated however, A Perfect Circle is absolute lyrical perfection. Meaningful songs, powerful lyrics, very strong melody. I can't rate this band highly enough.

Overrated: U2, Rolling Stones, modern day Metallica, modern Stone Temple Pilots, modern Alice in Chains, Korn, Guns & Roses, Creed

Underrated: A Perfect Circle, Disturbed, 30 Seconds to Mars, Soundgarden, Breaking Benjamin
I have to agree with Soundgarden being underrated. Admittedly, I got into them through Black Hole Sun, but now that song is nowhere near my favorite of theirs. Too bad this is the song they're known by at large. Their whole body of work deserves recognition! I however cannot agree with 30 Seconds to Mars. it seems Jared Leto takes himself waaay too seriously. Not bad musicians though.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:08 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,393,426 times
Most bands from the british invasion are very overrated.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:51 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,611,852 times
My tastes are maybe odd so bear that in mind.

Overrated: Bob Dylan, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Tony Bennett, and Pink Floyd.

I decided to avoid some musicians as I dislike their genre so can't judge them in the right way. Also the names here are not necessarily musicians who I think are bad, although some I don't like, more like I think they aren't as great as advertised.

Underrated: Julee Cruise, Trevor Jones, Yusef Lateef, Alex North, and October Project. (I know none of these are contemporary, sorry)

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-31-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 06:56 PM

503 posts, read 711,297 times
most women rockers i feel are underrated

Old 08-02-2010, 12:04 AM

404 posts, read 1,033,019 times
Underrated: Blue Scholars, Common Market, Inverse, Tunji

I'm so tired of mainstream rap/hip-hop. It has become absolutely terrible.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 AM

10,123 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Overrated:

--Radiohead (Is there anything the band can do that won't be hailed as "genius?")
--Tool (They've got an amazing rhythm section, but their songwriting isn't spectacular.)
--Lady Gaga (She's being hailed as an iconoclastic provocateur, the next coming of Madonna, the next big thing in pop, etc. when her songs themselves are at best just slightly above-average dance pop.)
--Michael Jackson (I won't deny the man's talent, but he's still the most overrated musician of all time. Ever since he died, he's been practically canonized as a saint. Overlooking his personal life, I think a lot of his music is great but so much of it also sounds incredibly dated.)

The Beatles are NOT overrated.

Underrated:

--Genesis (hipsters and critics continue to despise the band in spite of the fact that Genesis has influenced tons of bands that they like)
--Rush (among musicians, Rush isn't underrated, but they're definitely under appreciated by the public at large)
Michael Jackson has earned all of the accolades he has received throughout the years. He was the greatest entertainer of all time. Name an artist that can wave a glove, and people faint....I'll wait....... Name a artist that has donated more than $300,000,000 (YES MILLION) to charity. Name a artist that has opened their home to sick children to give them the childhood that he didnt have. Name an artist that has VISITED these sick children on EVERY stop of their tours, and has given away THOUSANDS of free concert tickets to children all across the globe. ALL of that is PERSONAL, that's what he does when the cameras are not around. The media never said anything about that. It's funny because as im typing this, there is a marching band on TV playing his music...There goes the "His music sounds incredibly dated" argument.

Overrated:

Elvis (didnt write any of his songs, singing ability overrated, elvis is the epitome of overrated)
the beattles (better than elvis, but still boring)
chris brown (MJ's son)
lil wayne
lady gaga (MJ's daughter)
justin beiber (MJ's grandson)

Underrated:

Fabolous
Lupe Fiasco
J. Cole
Neyo

Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,393,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Michael Jackson has earned all of the accolades he has received throughout the years. He was the greatest entertainer of all time. Name an artist that can wave a glove, and people faint....I'll wait....... Name a artist that has donated more than $300,000,000 (YES MILLION) to charity. Name a artist that has opened their home to sick children to give them the childhood that he didnt have. Name an artist that has VISITED these sick children on EVERY stop of their tours, and has given away THOUSANDS of free concert tickets to children all across the globe. ALL of that is PERSONAL, that's what he does when the cameras are not around. The media never said anything about that. It's funny because as im typing this, there is a marching band on TV playing his music...There goes the "His music sounds incredibly dated" argument.
You don't mention anything about his musicianship.
Generosity doesn't make someone a good musician.
And btw,Elvis could make people faint just by looking at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music