Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,665,773 times

Advertisements

The first band that come to my mind is both overrated and underrated. This particular band is overrated by their fans but underrated by the general public. I am referring to Rush. I think they are great but not the Gods that their fans make them out to be. On the other hand, the general public probably doesn't give them enough credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,026,433 times
I think the whole genre of black metal is underrated. It's mostly an underground movement though.

Some overrated bands(in my opinion) would probably be:

Good Charlotte(and any band like them)
Britney Spears
Spice Girls
any boy band
Justin Beiber(I don't understand why he is so popular)

Old 10-01-2010, 11:43 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,319,689 times
Underrated would be Huey. When is the last time you heard somebody play a harmonica like that? This was also live and he wasn't even trying that hard because of having to dance at the same time.

YouTube - Huey Lewis and the News - Workin' for a livin'

Old 10-02-2010, 06:05 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,213,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Underrated would be Huey. When is the last time you heard somebody play a harmonica like that? This was also live and he wasn't even trying that hard because of having to dance at the same time.

YouTube - Huey Lewis and the News - Workin' for a livin'
I'll agree with you there. I used to see him some before his breakout album...they're good.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:53 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,319,689 times
I think he was in a class all by himself. No one after him really tried to duplicate this smooth flowing and likable style. Most of the best stuff was recorded in the 80's and is still heavily played on classic rock and easy listening radio stations across the Country. Who wouldn't like this stuff? From the elderly to the kids!

YouTube - HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS - The Power Of Love (with lyrics)

Old 10-03-2010, 03:15 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,535,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
I think he was in a class all by himself. No one after him really tried to duplicate this smooth flowing and likable style. Most of the best stuff was recorded in the 80's and is still heavily played on classic rock and easy listening radio stations across the Country. Who wouldn't like this stuff? From the elderly to the kids!

YouTube - HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS - The Power Of Love (with lyrics)
It's impossible for me to hear this song without thinking about "Back to the Future." Likewise, I can't hear "Hip to Be Square" without thinking about "American Psycho."

Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,213,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
It's impossible for me to hear this song without thinking about "Back to the Future." Likewise, I can't hear "Hip to Be Square" without thinking about "American Psycho."
It's impossible for me to hear "I Want a New Drug" without thinking of Jeff Foxworthy.

I saw him in Buckhead (suburb of Atlanta) before he hit it big, before his "You might be a redneck if..." stuff. Foxworthy did a song set to the tune of "I Want a New Drug" when that song was popular, except is was "I want a new truck. I want one that's blue. One that'll go real fast, run on reg'lar fuel."

Sorry for the thread drift...

Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,519,372 times
Overrated--
NSync
Backstreet Boys
Lionel Richie
Madonna
Underrated--
BiggieSmalls
Long John Baldry
Alexis Corner
Doc Watson
Billy Vera and the Beaters

Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,493,363 times
U2
Lady Gaga
Nickelback

Those 3 still have me wondering how they got so big. Nothing attractive about any of them, but the masses say differently.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,535,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
U2
Lady Gaga
Nickelback

Those 3 still have me wondering how they got so big. Nothing attractive about any of them, but the masses say differently.
U2 is okay (I can't stand Bono's persona, though), but the other two artists you listed are pure garbage, so I'll agree with those choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music