Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 AM

503 posts, read 710,674 times

Advertisements

ok melissa ethridge is overrated in the fact that people even buy her albums
she sounds like a damn chainsaw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,201,066 times
There are some here I agree with, some I don't...as I'm sure everyone here feels.
Disagree with Joplin and The Animals are underrated...perhaps by younger generations, but not by their contemporaries.

Agree with Rush and Stevie Ray being underrated by the population at large. I would add Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed to that group as well.

Elvis and Beatles overrated? Puh-lese. I wasn't a big fan of either, but good gosh, it's nearly impossible to overrate how important and influential they were to the music scene. Elvis manufactured? Nope. When he was young, what you saw was for real.

One I didn't see as being overrated, and IMHO is perhaps one of the most overrated groups--ABBA. I know, some people will stroke out over that, but to me their music was bland. Predictable. Formulaic. Unoriginal. What lasting impact have they had or how did they change music, besides convincing producers that people will buy large amounts of dreck? Oh, I know, they paved the road for John Tesch.

On a personal note, they make me break out in a rash, my ears bleed and to cry uncontrollably. It's not pretty.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 PM

503 posts, read 710,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
There are some here I agree with, some I don't...as I'm sure everyone here feels.
Disagree with Joplin and The Animals are underrated...perhaps by younger generations, but not by their contemporaries.

I mean I guess because I'm young, I don't see janis or the animals being paraded around as much as the hendrix or maybe animals (respectively)

Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,933,603 times
Quote:
Agree with Rush and Stevie Ray being underrated by the population at large.
Stevie Ray Vaughan is about as underrated as an atomic bomb. He's rated exactly where he should be rated. (Fair disclosure: I'm listening to the concert disc that was included with the new Legacy Edition remaster of Couldn't Stand the Weather.) And while I still think I'd love to know what he would have done when he decided to quit trying to be a Jimi Hendrix/Albert King hybrid when he grew up, he still made some remarkable music. (Especially his live recordings.)

Rush? Personally, I think they're a tad overrated.

Quote:
Elvis and Beatles overrated? Puh-lese. I wasn't a big fan of either, but good gosh, it's nearly impossible to overrate how important and influential they were to the music scene. Elvis manufactured? Nope. When he was young, what you saw was for real.
Elvis died the day he went in the Army.---John Lennon, 1980. (Personally, I thought Elvis had one last genuinely great offering in him after his Army days---those great Memphis sessions of 1967-69. Closest he ever got to cutting soul music.)

Quote:
One I didn't see as being overrated, and IMHO is perhaps one of the most overrated groups--ABBA. I know, some people will stroke out over that, but to me their music was bland. Predictable. Formulaic. Unoriginal.
And those were their good qualities . . .

Old 08-03-2010, 02:19 PM

408 posts, read 810,236 times
Nickleback is the worst band ever, period. GARBAGE.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,530,544 times
Quote:
One I didn't see as being overrated, and IMHO is perhaps one of the most overrated groups--ABBA. I know, some people will stroke out over that, but to me their music was bland. Predictable. Formulaic. Unoriginal. What lasting impact have they had or how did they change music, besides convincing producers that people will buy large amounts of dreck? Oh, I know, they paved the road for John Tesch.

On a personal note, they make me break out in a rash, my ears bleed and to cry uncontrollably. It's not pretty.
I agree with you about ABBA not being that great, although hearing ABBA doesn't make me want to vomit. That honor would go to this band:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
Nickleback is the worst band ever, period. GARBAGE.
Yes, you're correct, but I don't think the band was ever overrated to begin with.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM

839 posts, read 2,418,897 times
Ok, I'll list some of mine across different musical genres.

Over rated:

Garth Brooks. Pop singer in a cowboy hat, no talent, and almost single handedly ruined real country music.

Rascall Flatts. I hope someone backs over them with a tour bus for the good of humanity

Keith Urban. Ugh, where to start.

Pink Floyd. Does anybody ever listen to Floyd if they're not stoned? I mean, you almost have to be.

Shania Twain/Faith Hill. Might as well be the same woman with different color hair. Again, no discernible talent, but nice to look at.

Under Rated:

Alison Krause. That lady has an absolutely beautiful voice. I remember the first time I heard her, sent a chill up my spine and stopped me dead in my tracks.

Dwight Yoakam. He had some hits back in the 80's and 90's, but his best work never gets any air play.

Hank Williams III. This guy refuses to sing cookie cutter songs with Hallmark card lyrics. I think the pure musical genius that was Hank Williams, while skipping Hank Jr. entirely, has been reborn in this young man.

Ric Ocasek & the Cars. Interesting blend of rock, punk, and new wave styles. All their songs were about mysterious and enigmatic women.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,584,996 times
Some of the African American names in early to middle-period rock history might be overlooked or underrated to some degree. Like

Fats Domino
Martha and the Vandellas
Wilson Pickett
Billy Preston

Although all of those are fairly known they might be less known than their significance merits.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:07 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,180,659 times
Default Meatloaf is the most underappreciated rocker of all time

Yes, it is true.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM

9,929 posts, read 13,935,510 times
We wore this one out one hot summer!

YouTube - Meat Loaf - You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)

YouTube - Meat Loaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light

YouTube - Meat Loaf - All Reved up With no Place to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music